Author Topic: Blocked Bladder  (Read 18892 times)

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
Re: Blocked Bladder
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 19:56:18 PM »
The nurse told me wrong.  they were actually taking out the catheter as his urine was running clear.  he has weed a little on his own, but not enough yet.

he was so happy to see us and was putting his head in our hands and rolling over for tummy tickles and trying to jump to us.  It was so sad closong the cage and leaving.

I have told him to have a good wee and he can come home.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 18:45:43 PM »
whenever I visited Smudge I just wanted to scoop him up in my arms he loved his cuddles but he was connected to a drip and a catheter with one of those horrid elizabethan collars we took the collar off and gave him a good rub

Hope dave's ok tonight and it's not too heartbreaking to see him love Jackie 

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 18:40:32 PM »
Coud be.  i can't wait to see him, but it is going to be hard leaving him behind when we go. :'(

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 18:24:52 PM »
Probably he was naughty like my Smudge and chewed or pulled the catheter out Hope he's ok XX :hug: :luck:

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 16:51:46 PM »
I am going to see dave at 6:30pm.

He is going to have to have another GA and another catheter fitted first.  I am not sure why as I was unable to talk to anyone looking after him, but the vet is going to try and call me.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 16:19:58 PM »
Thanks Gill, I`ve changed the name now! Well no one really knows for definate what causes urinary tract disease in some cases but as you probably already know it is most common in overweight neutered males fed on dry food and also if they are kept indoors. We see more and more fat cats and all the ones we have had in recently that have been blocked have been very overweight. Two of them were cats that had been blocked in the past.

Lynn, i was talking about Amitriptyline which i have seen work for some cats. Thats right, it is an anti depressant. I think i was getting my drugs mixed up! And, like Roz mentioned, Dibenyline is another drug that can be used when cats are retaining urine due to neurological pathway problems.

I`m pleased to hear Dave is doing well, you must be really looking forward to seeing him! ?:)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 14:43:49 PM »
mad.............your are amanda Right? You can change viewing name in profile.

Just interested , why do you or your vets think there are suddenlt so many cases?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 13:39:33 PM »
mad4moggies did you mean Amtriptyline ??

if so then this is an antidepressant which "some" vets may think it helps reduce anxiety which can be a contributing factor in fus conditions..to the best of my knowledge it has no antiinflammatory properties.

if thats not what you meant i apologise.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 14:39:01 PM »
Better news, please try not to worry to much as there are still things that can be done if there is a reacurrance.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
Excellent news Dee.? I hope everything goes smoothly for him from now on.? If the vet is pleased with him, I'm sure he will be home again soon. Fingers crossed for the dear little chap.?
Take along a favourite toy.? Jet for some reason (he is a weird cat) loves an old sock.? I can't recall how many incomplete pairs of socks Steve now has..... :innocent:

Lots of love to you both

Roz

You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 11:06:48 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Dave is doing very well today.  His bloods are back to normal.  his potassium is a bit low, so they are putting it in his drip.  he is eating very very well and is happy in himself.  they are a bit worried when they take the catheter out, but we will have to see what happens then.

I am going to see him later.  i can't wait.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 00:06:54 AM »
Oh Dee, i really feel for you. At the vets where i work we have had so many blocked cats in recently and i am pleased to say that all of them have done very well. As you may have read on the CC rehoming section one of them ended up being signed over to the surgery as the owner wanted him pts. The vet said that he was the worst one she`d ever seen. It took such a long time to catheterise him which wasn`t a good sign at first and like your cat when they took it out a couple of days later it had to be put back in as he was not emptying his bladder. As Roz said earlier there is so much that can be said about this condition as it is so complex. It sounds as though your vets are doing all the right things. It might be a good idea for them to send a urine sample away for urinalysis so that they can see whats in it and try to find out why he might have got blocked. Also, they often use a drug called Amtriptyline (spellng!) which can also help to reduce some of the inflammation. Fingers crossed that his kidney values come down now that he is on a drip. If he is eating well then it might be a good idea to see if they can start feeding him a urinary diet whilst he is in the vets to start getting him used to it. There are various ones around but a lot of them seem to like Waltham urinary which comes in dry and sachets. The other thing which can help if they do go into spasm is a short course of steroids but this cannot be used at the same time as some of the other drugs that they use for pain management. I wish him the best of luck and hope he`s home with you very soon.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 21:50:00 PM »
Aww, sorry that he isn't home yet Dee, but fingers crossed for him. I know how awful it is when they are at the vets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 19:58:21 PM »
Dee,? I feed mainly raw now, but when Ben had his blockage, he had the prescription diet for a while, then I changed all the cats, Ben included, onto wet food, just ordinary stuff like Felix/Whiskers. But then looked into raw feeding and been feeding that ever since, as I say, with no further problems. Sometimes I give them Natures Menu too. They only get a few biscuits now as a bedtime treat, and they have Olli.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 19:45:26 PM »
So sorry that Dave has had to stay over night but I hope he will be home soon. As someone else said, visit him every day if possible and take a shirt that you have been wearing cos smelling your scent helps to reassure them.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 18:03:41 PM »
It is such a worry isn't it.  I just want him home bless him.  What do you feed Ben on?  I think i will look into getting water fountains.  Some of mine love drining from the bathroom tap.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 17:53:25 PM »
My Ben had to stay in overnight too - I hated going home and leaving him, but I knew he was in the best place. The next day my vet was a bit concerned he still wasnt urinating properly, but she wanted me to bring him home because she felt he would do much better in familiar surroundings - and although he was disorientated for a bit, he went and used the litter tray properly a few hours after he was home - what a relief that was! I was following the poor chap around (discreetly!) just to make sure he DID use the tray ok!

Hope Dave can come home soon.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 16:10:37 PM »
Should have said.  thank you Roz.  your hwlp and support has been wonderful.  I will let you know what vet says later.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 15:56:09 PM »
he is now catherised.  This time the catheter didn't go in easily.  There was quite a lot of bits in the urine.  He is heavily sedated and on a drip now.  He is eating. n they are doing some more tests on his urine and looking at it under a microscope.  I am foing to see him tomorrow and will speak to the vet again later tonight.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 14:46:52 PM »
Oh Dee,

I'm so sorry he's not coming home later today....but hopefully, the little love will start to feel a whole lot better soon.? I have only ever known the catheter to be removed once the urine is running clear....but it would make sense to remove it early if worried about spasm.

If your vet gives Dave Cystaid, ask about Cystease as well.? Dr White recommends this one ...Nigel took Jet to see him at his Newmarket surgery a few days after his op....at no expense to myself....and he told me that the great Doctor prefers this one (Dr White is a world renowned veterinary Urologist and taught Nigel at Cambridge)....Jet also had Dibenylene to relax his sphincter muscle and Metacam (for pain/inflammation).? He didn't have any bacterial infection at the time of his op because he had spent so many weeks in the hospital being medicated that he was in pretty good shape....apart from the FLUTD.? He did go through other medications as well but I think the Cystease works very well.

Fingers crossed for sweet little Dave.? He looks so lovely.....as does Anakin.

Lots of love to you both

Roz

P.S. If he's going to be in for a few days, try to visit him....it really cheers them up...even if they don't show it.
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 14:08:21 PM »
This isDave? (grey and white) cuddled up to one of my other cats Anakin (ginger)

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 14:00:38 PM »
Hi Dee Hope all goes well for Dave poor Little man I know what you are going thru we had our Smudge in the vets with this Last summer All the best, love and furry headrubs to Dave?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 13:50:05 PM »
Perhaps the vet will get some Chrystal's and save them for you. To me the smaller ones lile like tapioca.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 13:38:20 PM »
The vets hs just called me.  Dave is now going into surgery to have a catheter fitted.  his bladder is filling up again and not draining properly.  it will be in for approx 48 hours.  they thought as the catheter went in so easily before it wasn't as serious as it is.  his bloods show high high kidney levels too.  they think this is caused by crystals.

I am so worried about my little boy.  I love him so dearly.

I am talking to the vet again later and will let you kow how it goes.

thank you Gillian for telling me about ben.  It really helps.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 12:56:28 PM »
Hope all is well with Dave, its is very worrying isnt it? I went through it with my Ben about 3 yrs ago, and he had to be rushed in as an emergency (3 a.m!!) - vet was brilliant at being dragged out of bed - luckily she only lives above the surgery!

Ben has been fine since, never blocked again, I changed his diet, got water fountains, feliway etc and no further problems, thank goodness.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »
Jet is very lucky to have found you as i am sure you feel about finding him.  He sound a lovely little boy.  Such a shame he didn't have a good start to his life and had all his medical problems.  So glad he found you.

I am eager to call the vets about Dave, but know how busy they are.  I know he will be well looked after there, but it is not like them being at home is it.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 12:36:04 PM »
Hi Dee,

I suspected you were the same Dee but didn't like to assume.? Since we changed over, it is not always clear although everything is becoming clearer by the day.?

That's fine then....he has the same conditions as Jet.? I couldn't have coped with Jet being a free-roaming cat and suffering with this illness.? ?

I hope Dave comes home soon and that he will not have any further problems.? Jet was a very difficult case.? He was a little stray who fetched up at our place when he was seven months old (we later found this out, after tracing his owner) but has lots of behavioural issues...bless him.? He is extremely nervous and anxious....so stress related FLUTD, you could say, was inevitable in later years.? He was four when he first developed it. We love him to bits but he will never be a relaxed, laid back little guy.? He was also known as the most unco-operative cat in the hospital.? But, because he was in so often (almost a resident) all the nurses eventually got to love him and Nigel, his vet, (for some inexplicable reason) really loved him!? He insists on being the only vet to look after him...even now!? I can only guess what sort of life Jet lived as a young kitten.

Lots of love

Roz?

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Thank you Roz and thank you Gill.

We have your catproofing Roz, so he only goes in the garden, which he loves. We are in a hardwater area.  We are in Norfolk.
Thank you so much for the info.  it is really appreciated.  Dave is such a wonderful sweet natured boy.  i will try and post a pic of him later.

I have to call again at 4, so will update then

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
Hi again Dee,

Just re-read my post and of course I meant sedentary cats (inactive) not sedatary or whatever I typed. Doh.? Should read through before posting. :doh:

Gill: I don't have the link but all of my anxiety with Jet was going on in December/January time.? I have, of course, written up about the condition loads of times since but I can do so again.? It's no hassle.? Just pleased to be able to help.

Lots of love

Roz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 11:49:15 AM »
Search on CC is gone and archives only go back to Jul but I will ask Roz if she has the link.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 11:45:05 AM »
Maybe we need try to get the link to Rozs Jet on here from CC cos that story is an education on this problem and would be very helpful to all with cats that have serious trouble like this.

I will try and find it although someone said that you cant do a search anymore.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
Hi Dee,

Only just logged on today but am sorry to hear about your little guy Dave.? It sounds like he has other complications in that area as well following the RTA but I'm surprised that the vets have removed the catheter so quickly.? He can't have been so very bad....and I know what they mean about the spasms, because that is what always happened to Jet, following the removal of the catheter.

As you know Dee, this is one of the most painful conditions that can afflict a male cat.? It only happens in males.? Queens can suffer from cystitis related FLUTD but they are never in danger of death through a blocked bladder.? My vet told me that the pain is excrutiating and a blocked bladder can, if unattended, lead to death within 24 hours.? Therefore, if Dave is a free-roaming little chap, keep him in for a while, until his condition has stabilised.

You will need to give him a wet diet from now on...keep those kidneys and bladder flushed through regularly. Try to keep him active....sedatory cats suffer from this condition more than active ones and, if you live in a hard water area, try to give him only mineral water.? I have been told that there is a higher incidence of FLUTD in hard water areas than other areas.

There's loads more that I could write on this condition but I'll wait until I see your next post to see how dear little Dave is going on.

My little guy, Jet was so poorly with the condition that he would have had to be pts if he didn't have a penilectomy (often called the 'sex-change' op).? He had this in January this year and has never looked back.? This time last year, everyone was reading my posts which were becoming more and more anguished.? Jet was in the hospital every other week.? After a few days at home his sphincter muscle would go into spasm again and he would be unable to urinate.?
The operation is very invasive and should be avoided at all costs if possible, but if there is no other option left, it is the most brilliant solution......but is not without risk.? Jet has been supremely lucky...but then again, Nigel his vet, took him under his wing and really pulled out the stops for him.? I am so grateful.

Hope that helps.

Lots of love to you both and a special headrub from Jet for little Dave

Roz

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 10:58:26 AM »
Thank you gail.

he has eaten and drank and passed a little urine.  he is being monitored at the moment.  Hopefully i will hear of improvements later today.  I miss having him around so much.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »
I know one of Roz's boys had wee wee trouble, when she is on later she will be able to help put you mind at rest.

How is your little man today?

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »
Thank you Ela.

I just look forward to having my gorgeous boy home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »
Again all I can say is p[lease try not to worry too much although I understand easier said than done.

There is so much that can be done for this condition.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
I have now spoken to the vets.  Dave was catherised last night and put on medication for pain, inflamation and to reduce the chance of spasms.  he has eaten and drank and passed a tiny amount of urine today.  There is a possibilty he will need to be catherised later under GA, but te vet wants to avoid this as it can cause more inflamation and increase the chances of spasms.  For now they are montoring him.  he definely won't be home today.  i am still very worried about him, but know he is in the right place.  i am going to call again later. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »
Please try not to worry too much this is quite a common occurrence and can usually be controlled.

Offline Dee

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:52 AM »
Thank you Des.  If the vets haven't called by the time I have dropped my children off at school i will call them.

I am hoping he is feeling better this morning.  I just want him home.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:43:24 AM »
Aww, poor Dave. Hopefully this is just a one off and not related to anything, but he will prob need a special diet for a while after this, depending on the cause. If they dont give them to you, you might want to ask about Cystaid, they are capsules that help the lining of the bladder. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat