Author Topic: Cat bite (me) should I go to the doctor?  (Read 16313 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Cat bite (me) should I go to the doctor?
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 13:00:52 PM »
I  know it is swollen and misshapen at the moment but I can't compare it with my other middle finger as that is deformed already  :evillaugh: - my granddad acciedentally shut my finger in the door (hinge side) when I was 3 so that finget is all skinny where they stitched the end back on  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »
Thanks Nikki  :hug:

No probs hunnie, probably wont happen but just want to make sure you know what to look out for x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Thanks Nikki  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
Is that redness?

I remember when my friend Tommy Lennon pierced my ear with a needle and it got infected and there was a red line all down my neck. It was agony but at the time, my mum though surgical spirit would help it  :Crazy:

Yes red or blueishline

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
Is that redness?

I remember when my friend Tommy Lennon pierced my ear with a needle and it got infected and there was a red line all down my neck. It was agony but at the time, my mum though surgical spirit would help it  :Crazy:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »
Good just keep an eye on it and keep an eye out for tracking hun too - any tracking seen mark it with biro and get down to A&E.    Marking it with biro will show them how quick its tracking from when you left the house to being see in A&E.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
Still sore but I will survive thanks  :)

Just taking extra precautions like gloves for doing trays etc.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
How you doing today hun?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
Make sure you are a very careful martyr Mark.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 17:43:21 PM »
Mark you definately need to get it seen to them sweetie - pop down to A&E hun x

I got Co-Amoxiclav fro the doctor (I was seen in the treatment room) that should be OK shouldn't it? - he also said to take pain killers if I need them. I am happier to be a martyr though  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 17:36:52 PM »
Oh thanks MM, didnt realize it was Sonnie and Felix but thats great  ;D

Hope her hands have recovered too.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 17:35:12 PM »
Mark you definately need to get it seen to them sweetie - pop down to A&E hun x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 17:31:47 PM »
I know there was someone on here recently that got badly bitten on both hands and had septicema, actually was wondering last night whether she managed to catch her missing cat wwho did this..............so behing in posts may have missed it.

Yep Sonnie has felix back, he turned up at home of his own accord and has been neutered and chipped  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 17:25:41 PM »
We have to be careful with deep cuts as we are prone on DVT and other things, having Lieden factor V  (genetic blood disorder). My mum's mum died a few days after my mum was born. At the time (1939) they said it was septicaemia but we think it must have been the Lieden which causes our blood to clot too quickly.

http://www.fvleiden.org/ This is it. My sister, 2 brothers and me are all positive.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 17:30:46 PM by Mark »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 17:23:28 PM »
I was bitten by Franta a month ago and watched it carefully and lathough a bruised and swollen a bit it went down Ok and goy better.

I know there was someone on here recently that got badly bitten on both hands and had septicema, actually was wondering last night whether she managed to catch her missing cat wwho did this..............so behing in posts may have missed it.

teteanus need not just for cat bites but if you work outside in the garden etc and should be boosted every 10 years........Mine must be running out I think or maybe not.....got a catctus spine in finger which made it swell up badly and everybody at doctors laughed  >:(

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 17:12:25 PM »
A scratch wont really cause septicemia as its not deep enough but needs a damn good clean out.   Not all bites turn septic but the risk is  :hug:huge.   The have been bitten but hit the fleshy skin part whereas my dad got bitten through the middle of his hand and that turned very nasty indeed.   Its always best to get a deep bite seen to medically as animals especially dogs and cats carry a scarey amount of bacteria in their mouths.

However a scratch on someone with low immunity, etc can cause very nasty indeed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 17:00:30 PM »
I have seen many cases of septicemia hun

Oh yes id expect infection but drs seem set on jabbing for tetanus and not antibiotics  :shify: I would have thought infection is a dead cert for happening, i got a nasty bite on my knee but liberal hibi sorted that out, stung tho  :censored:

Yes yes and yes, when I worked in A&E I saw many people with cat bites who didn't and they became septic and they had to become an iinpatient for IV antibiotics.

just out of interest could that apply to scratches too?

Yep, more likely to get tetanus from a scratch as its in soil i believe  :-:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 16:45:32 PM »
Yes yes and yes, when I worked in A&E I saw many people with cat bites who didn't and they became septic and they had to become an iinpatient for IV antibiotics.

just out of interest could that apply to scratches too?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 16:40:55 PM »
I have seen many cases of septicemia hun

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 16:36:38 PM »
Has anybody actually ever caught tetanus from a cat bite?  :-:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 15:53:57 PM »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 15:45:08 PM »
Unlike Leigh... I sent him something through the post last week for his back  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 15:35:29 PM »
Make sure they are yours and not Willows  :rofl:

Mary

I have more tablets in the house than Boots  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 15:33:39 PM »
Glad you saw your Doc Mark, hope your finger feels better soon  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 15:30:10 PM »
Make sure they are yours and not Willows  :rofl:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 15:23:47 PM »
Thanks Mary  :hug:

I'll take my antiB's as well  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 15:21:19 PM »
She's a chatterbox... and you're not of course!!  :evillaugh: ;) :hug:

Try salt water for now.

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 15:16:23 PM »
Now you tell me - I have just been in the herbalist shop over the road. She is a chatterbox so I'm not going again today  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 15:13:45 PM »
I think Bonnie should have a word with you about regular jabs!!  :evillaugh: :Luv2:

Glad you got it sorted Mark.

You're probably overloaded with peopple telling you what to do BUT...... I swear by lavendar oil for bringing out brusing and healing.  I had an op 10 years ago and I was told I could put it on my scar to heal it up by the surgeon.

Put some in a cup or something with cold water and soak fro a while a few times a day.

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 14:56:21 PM »
I met Sharon for lunch and decided as I was passing the doctors on the way back. I would go in. It is infected and they have given me 250/125mg Co-Amoxiclav to take 3 times a day for 7 days.

The bite had gone right under my nail bed and it is turning black.

According to their records, I last had a tetanus in 2002 and prior to that, 1967 when  was 5  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 14:59:11 PM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 14:13:59 PM »
I will be offered a season ticket the way I am going  :-[

They call regulars 'frequent flyers', I'm informed.  :evillaugh:

How's your finger now?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 13:23:25 PM »
I think you can safely leave it for now at least. I think Carol is right- its the bruising as much as the bite which hurts. Munchkin gave me a fairly substantial nip a couple of days ago when I broke up a fight (between him and his nemesis from 3 doors down)- I suppose the adrenaline had to go somewhere. Right on the fleshy bit at the base of my thumb too- ouch!

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 13:12:44 PM »
Korky bit me when we were on our way back from France.  I was transferring him from his carrier to the dog cage we have in the car and he just sat down halfway through the doorway.  Thinking he was being awkward I gave him a push and he bit me - but he still didn't move because he couldn't, one of his back paws was trapped in the between two of the 'wires' of the cage.  We had a terrible time trying to release him without hurting him further and when we got him out I was so worried about him that I never even gave a thought to my own wound but I've lived to tell the tale .  At least I knew I wasn't going to catch rabies, worms, ticks or fleas because he'd just had all his treatments. Yu'll be pleased to know he was uninjured (we certainly were).
It would be a good idea to get your tetanus up to date even if you don't need antibiotics Mark.  I think cat/dog bites are so painful because you end up badly bruised as well.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »
BUT IS WILLOW OK?  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :rofl:

I think you had better go to the doc Mark and even if it is ok you can have your jab.

How do you give tablets to your lot?  The hard way by the sound of it.

My friend's cat hasd to have 2 tablets every day for the rest of her life and she is so good she comes when she shakes the bottle and sits there with her mouth open.  Even when I look after her she takes them off me too.

I used to put a tablet in a piece of cheese spread or liver pate for Smudge.

Mary  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Yep, it's a good idea. Cats have all sorts of lovely stuff on their teeth.....hope you had a tetanus recently. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »
Our doctor is open Saturdays so I will wait and see. After all the times I have been in there with my stomach, I am getting embarrassed. I will be offered a season ticket the way I am going  :-[

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »
If it hurts to bend your finger, or feels so stiff that you can't move it properly, then go to the docs as it could be an infection needing anti'bs.  If its just sore and swollen, then it will probably be OK.

If your tenatanus is coming up to or over 10 years, I think you need another?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
Somebody I work with got a nasty bite from her cat a while ago and ended up having to get antibiotics. Her tetanus was out of date though.

Saying that Jon got a chunk taken out of him a while ago on the forearm (not by either of our girls) and he was fine, just kept it clean.

Might be worth a visit to the quacks Mark.  :evillaugh:  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
Mark, it depends how bad it is, i was bitten by DD few years ago and the swelling started a day later and i couldnt bend my fingers or move my hand, my neighbour told me to go to doctor because of the bacteria which cats have in their teeth, i was given 5 days on antibiotics. Is your GP open on Saturday mornings? If it gets any worse by tomorrow then you should.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:32:34 AM »
Schui lashed out at me once and his claws got caught in my finger and I had to pull them out, my finger came up purple and bruised and hurt like hell when I bent it,  I was actually a bit worried but it did go down after about a week.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Link to CatChat