Author Topic: How many hours on average does a cat sleep per day?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline MooCat

• Adult Cat
    • Myspace Musician
Re: How many hours on average does a cat sleep per day?
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
 Hendrix sleeps for Zero hours a day at weekends and catches up when im at work during the week :tired:
"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 19:20:01 PM »
Clapton probably sleeps  20 + hours a day
Kylie 15
Alice 18
Willow 10

Although I have no idea what they are doing when I am asleep. I'm sure when we go out they sleep the whole time?  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 18:32:30 PM »
Swampy's never slept much. Max on the other hand, sleeps constantly, night and day especially for the last 2 years (he's 15 now). His idea of exercise is getting up to see what he can find to eat in the kitchen and then walk back to zzzz. I'd like to know what's in his brain and have some of it to sleep better at night!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 14:24:25 PM »
Amber is the laziest cat I have ever known, she sleeps with us all night literally will come down for a bit of breakfast and if oh is home can happily sleep on his lap all day!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
Charlie is up between 5.30 and 6am but has started just to climb on the bed and snooze until I get up now whereas previously he used to jump on things and knock stuff down.  He is then more or less on the go (if I am in) until 3.30is with an occasional nap.  Then he is up until about 5.30 when he usually flakes until dead on 9.25pm when he comes down for supper and playtime before bed.  Whilst he is awake in the day he is very active though.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
I don't think there's a "normal" amount of time for cats to sleep. All mine sleep for varying amounts of time. When they want to play we do have interactive toys, but usually they're happy to amuse themselves with small toy mice or ping pong balls. (They sound like a tiny herd of elephants when they play.) We have three baskets of toys dotted about the house and the cats help themselves when they want a toy. In the evening I go round and pick them up!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »
I was told by my vet that a cat can sleep for 19 hours a day  :Crazy:

Jess and Milo are really different with their sleeping habits.

Milo will come to bed with me between 9:30-10pm and sleep till around 5am when he starts his wake up routine. Then will be awake for a couplf of hours for play and food and then bed down again. I am guessing that he sleeps a lot during the day but he is always up and awake when I get in from work at 5:45ish. Generally he is awake all evening and we have play sessions.

Jess however comes up to bed later and is always up when I get up at 5:30ish. He'll be awake till we leave for work. I strongly suspect that Jess sleeps for most of the day. He'll be awake when we get in from work but after dinner often goes up to bed and then comes down at around 9pm when they get their last feed.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
Practically all day and night my 2  :evillaugh: well, Schui used to only wake up for meals and toilet but since his steroid injection he's awake more than Byron.  Byron sleeps most of the day now and is just awake a couple of hours for a cuddle really but both are old.   I think though it depends on the cat younger cats we have had of the same age slept different.  Penny was only a year older than Squeaky but she slept alot more than he did.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Max has always slept quite a lot, he naps when nobody's in, then when we come home he has a run around, some food, then a play.

He has a very low attenion threshold play sessions don't last that long, but he's got loads of toys all over the house which he can play with, generally when he looks interested in something, that's when I'll get up and play as I know he wants to  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 00:24:02 AM »
Technically speaking an adult cat sleeps an averqage of 16 hours a day....so I'd say anything there abouts is normal! Gosh just realised I must of turned into a cat..... :shy:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 00:25:13 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 00:04:12 AM »
I think a lot of this is down to their age, environment and what they have learnt to do.

A young cat sleeps less than an older one usually and is more active, wanting playing etc. I would play in short bursts cos they have to. in my opinion only, learn to play by themselves.

My four sleep alot and play by them selves and also with me, but not for long cos they get bored and will watch me wiggly and waggling stuff or moving the laser dot around and they just lie there laughing at me trying to get them to do something.......sigh

When its nice outdoors they will spend more time outside but only if I am out too and get myself on a nice bed under an umbrella covered in sun lotion and suddenly everyone wants to be unde the umbrella snuggled up and I get covered in sticky itching fur  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 23:57:43 PM »
Mosi is awake most of the time that I am at home, but I don't know what he gets up to when I'm at work.  I know he can't sleep all the time as I often come home to the results of his antics  :shify: but I'm sure he sleeps some of the time.  At night he is getting better and will generally sleep from about 1am to 6.30am, although there are times when he won't sleep that much at night.  But he is a young, active cat.  Jaffa is similar but he is old enough to be happy sleeping the day away if I'm too busy/tired/ill to play with him.  If there are games and cuddles going on he will be happy to stay awake all evening playing.  He probably sleeps most of the day, if Mosi will let him!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 22:19:30 PM »
My lot all sleep through the night (11:00pm - 7:00am) then when I go to work (out of the house between 8:30 and 5:30).
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 22:14:28 PM »
Memphis nearly always naps from about 2/3pm until 7pm. He's pretty much like clockwork in that respect. Then he will eat and either continue napping or walk around and be a nuisance. Sometimes I'll get out his feather on a stick which he will spend forever playing with and wrestling. His mad moments are between 10pm and 11pm when he's a lunatic (although today he was chasing Molly around the house about 7:30pm). This is usually the time when he will charge around the house as fast as he can, jumping on people. He will usually present me with something he wants to play with and we have a good fetch session. This can be as little as 5 minutes or as much as 20. He dictates. I think it's around 8 or 9pm when he decides to do his climbing and he jumps on top of all the cabinets.

After I go to bed he will walk around, get up to mischief then he settles for the night. He will sleep all night and gets up when I do - he might get up and have a wander or a wash but he always comes back to bed and goes to sleep. He's awake all morning and follows me everywhere, if I settle he usually brings a toy and plays fetch. Or we have a game with the ping pong ball. We do play with the Da Bird but not every day and he plays until he's tired. Throughout the day though he will play with his cat it toy .. in fact he's so hooked on it. He just cannot resist. I've never counted up the amount of times he will play with it per day, but it is a lot.

So he's pretty much always on the go except for when I'm asleep and through late afternoon early evening.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 21:54:27 PM »
She entertains herself, and she sleeps in spurts, she could sleep solidly for 6 or 7 hours, but she does get up to wonder around, have a bit of food, run around, and then beds down for another few hours. Right now, she's sat in her bed, cleaning herself and has been doing that for a good 30 mins. She slept most of the day. She can sit at the window and outstare the best of them but falls asleep within 20 mins and just dozes.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 21:54:19 PM »
I have 8 now in total, George the old boy sleeps most of the time (when hes not yowling for food or attention )Eddie the other old boy also sleeps quite a lot but does have a couple of play sessions in the day, Kali,Henry and Cheeky all like to be out as much as possible then sleep all night, snuggs tends to sleep in the day then have a mad couple of hours in the evening, barney rubble sleeps for a couple of hours then goes out for an hour then comes in to sleep again, occasionally has a play, scamps is a law unto her self she likes to go out and come in at will , shes quite anti social, Kali,Snuggs and Cheeks all tend to interplay :evillaugh:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 21:46:22 PM »
Esther, is the cat in my avatar - she is a rescue girl who arrived around the same time as Smidgen ...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 21:46:21 PM »
We find that they do want to play at teatime and we entertain them with the laser pen and formerll the da bird RIP by 2 Border Collies!
How long does a playing session last on average? As I sometimes play for 15 minutes and it seems like ages - not sure if that is enough to tire a cat out. With Jameson we sometimes played for over 30 minutes and he never seemed tired. Infact he just more and more charged up for each minute!

We are taking it quite easy though with 'Buster' as he still needs his rest to recover properly - I am just thinking about in the future.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 21:43:56 PM »
my lot entertain themselves most of the time. There are self-help toys lying around the place that they may or may not play with. But mostly they are either asleep or outdoors during the day, and asleep or eating in the evenings ...
Do you have more than 1 cat (I know gorgeous Smidgen & the dog, but wasn't sure if you have another feline or not?)?

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 21:42:48 PM »
Most of ours sleep for 12 hours plus thats both indoor and the outdoor crew

We find that they do want to play at teatime and we entertain them with the laser pen and formerll the da bird RIP by 2 Border Collies!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 21:38:38 PM »
my lot entertain themselves most of the time. There are self-help toys lying around the place that they may or may not play with. But mostly they are either asleep or outdoors during the day, and asleep or eating in the evenings ...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 21:36:16 PM »
Well. Depends on the cat. Lexy, who is indoor, and has to be the laziest cat known to man, sleeps on average 19 hours a day. Depends on what she wants to do that day.
So, when she is awake, how much time (on average) do you spend playing with her? Or does she entertain herself with toys etc? Is she the only cat in your household? Does she get bored?
(jeez so many questions in one line!)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 21:34:00 PM »
Well. Depends on the cat. Lexy, who is indoor, and has to be the laziest cat known to man, sleeps on average 19 hours a day. Depends on what she wants to do that day.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
How many hours on average does a cat sleep per day?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 21:32:47 PM »
I know cats do sleep a lot, but it would be good to get a bit of guidance, as to how much time I should dedicate to exercising and playing with my indoor cat per day. Somebody is usually always here 24/7 so giving kitty stimulation is not an issue - just wondered what is normal, and how many hours cats sleep for on average per day?

It's really easy to notice how much they sleep when they are indoors only - Jameson would go off and do his thing, so never had to worry about him (even though we did a lot of playing indoors too). He did sleep a lot though!

Link to CatChat