Author Topic: What can cause sporadic diarrhea?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What can cause sporadic diarrhea?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 20:49:28 PM »
I had to stop giving Clapton and Alice even special cat milk as it still upsets their stomach.

Same here, Taz loved having any left over cimicat dregs but upsets his tum  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 20:46:17 PM »
I had to stop giving Clapton and Alice even special cat milk as it still upsets their stomach.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 14:28:57 PM »
Susanne and Gillian have probably hit thenail on the head.

I would simply add that parasites can cause this problem. Is the cat regularly wormed? A Bacterial problem e.g salmonella, campylobacter and various forms of E.Coli could also be a problem.

However, from what you say and bearing in mind the problem is inconsistent, I would doubt if it was a viral infection or bacterial infection but a vet is the only person properly placed to make that judgment.

Diarrhoea can be caused by many other non infectious things. As the others have said - stress is a possibility. Does Dorothy share a home with other animals? Do they get on? Have other animals come into the home through any cat flap? Is the cat scared of any members of the family &/or is she a naturally nervous cat with an unknown prior history?

For non-infectious diarrhoea problems:

1. A change of diet not gradually introduced;
2. Milk intolerance is sadly too common. Cow's milk is not normally tolerated by cats and totally inadvisable hence special cat's milk produced by Felix and Whiskers.

I would suggest that the owners keep a proper record of what Dorothy is eating and when. Can they identify if she is stealing or getting food elsewhere? Is she a hunter, asssuming she is an outdoor cat? What does she catch? They need to know food iher food intake and compare it with the occurrence of diarrhoea to see if there is any consistent correlation with certain foods, etc.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 13:57:35 PM »
also overeating.
if the cat goes out there's no saying what it eats.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 13:50:53 PM »
Causes could be numerous, food, stress, antibiotics, viruses such as corona. What did the vet say about it?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 13:36:15 PM »
Depends how sporadic. All animals (including humans) get it from time to time?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Food, stress.. could be lots of things really.  If the vet has ruled out any serious medical cause, they could try a probiotic such as lacto b.  Jaffa uses to have loosish stools occasionally so I put him on lacto b and they firmed up.  He hasn't needed to have it for some time now as everything is nice and firm these days  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
First thing I would watch what the cat has eaten, we asked our vet about this and it's usually something the cat is a bit intolerant to.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 00:55:54 AM »
My cat had this recently, we think it was caused by a long acting antibiotic injection given by the vet.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
What can cause sporadic diarrhea?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 00:18:00 AM »
Was asked this by someone the other day. (On New Years Eve, actually. :evillaugh:) Their cat, Dorothy apparantly seems to exhibit no other symptoms but loose stools from time to time. Any ideas? (She has been to a vet and they did ask apparantly.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat