Author Topic: Buster - transport needed from Blackpool to Surrey SORTED  (Read 46005 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Buster - transport needed from Blackpool to Surrey
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:11 AM »
A couple of stops would add about an hour to the journey so it sounds right.

I would have thought that it should be able to get him to you in one day if the relay is set up.

Personally I would think car the best way rather than the train, cos accidents in cages are not easy to sort out and dont think other passengers would appreciate the smell in a confined space. At least you have options in a car  :shify: :shify:

I remember only going one stop with Kocka and me trying to stare intently out of the window cos of an accident in her cage. And cos cats are so clean she was very upset about it and was therefore moving around a lot and making matters worse!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 22:26:55 PM »
I am about 20mins from you and it took me almost 6hrs to get to Blackpool (with a couple of stops)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 22:22:59 PM »
Brilliant!

Earlier this evening we sat down with our Tomtom to work out the quickest journey and didn't know whether the Tomtom calculated driving through London. Distance-wise that might be quicker, but due to London traffic it always add on a fair amount of time on our journey. I think it said 4,5 hours.
So we added on an hour on top of that to allow bad traffic etc - but I think it came to 5,5 hours. Does that sound realistic?

either way the vet nurse said if he is travelling straight to us he should be fine as he has made such good progress and is almost a 'normal' cat now  :Luv:

SO.. thanks to everyone that has offered to help. Anytime on or after the 2nd of January is good for us. I can pick up anywhere in London (via public transport, or car if R is around - Im hoping for the latter!) although if anyone happens to drive through Croydon that would be perfect - it's fairly easy access to get in & out of, and is not as muddled up as central London traffic.

I will be offline from tomorrow morning (11am ish) til evening of Jan 1st. I have left my mobile number with JackSpratt if anyone needs to get hold of me - although due to me going to Cornwall I won't have any network coverage apart from while travelling on the 30th Dec and again on the 1st of Jan.

I am sure Baby Buster will be perfectly fine, am so relieved to have gotten his health update through JackSpratt. I feel a bit more calm and confident now that we are doing the right thing.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 22:29:55 PM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 20:38:12 PM »
I normally make it to Cheshire in 3 hours from north London. And travelled with a noisy cat (Pippa Pipsqueak) who did actually sleep for a good portion.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 20:31:52 PM »
Ruth you took the words out of my mouth. It tooks far on the map but it is M6 mostly. We have done Liverpool to Dorking in under 3 hours (without stops obv)

To re-affirm we can do NW to Midlands on Saturday  :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 19:35:51 PM »
TB not sure where Robin has checked but a car journey from Blackpool to yours is only about 4 hours, straight driving, that's give and take so make it 5 hours with stops and moving him from one car to another. It's still a long journey but just keep in mind that it is a bit shorter than 7 hours.  ;)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 19:34:04 PM »
Yes I think if he can be put in a car, and driven straight from Blackpool to us that would be the best. I haven't contacted his carer as I don't want to call at this time. I might drop her an e-mail now though.

Only problem is, from tomorrow I will be offline with no phone reception, so won't be able to check the progress until morning of 2nd Jan.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 19:28:39 PM »
If i were taking a cat on a long journey i would get a dog crate and set that up for them, 7hrs is too long to be in a carrier and i dont believe its safe to let cats out mid journey  :shy: i see too many adverts for cats lost at service stations  :(

His current carer would know how well he would/wouldnt cope the best. If he can travel then one car journey would be best for him imo

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 16:56:13 PM »

You could always put it on the backburner for a month or so, see how he is recovering and see if there is any interest in him from someone more local to him.  If there isn't then maybe look at taking him on again.
Good idea.

I am just thinking from personal experience with Jameson - he was crying all the way to the vets and back whenever we took him in the carrier, and that is only a 5 minute drive.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 15:49:19 PM »
Have a chat with the person who has him and see what she thinks.  As I've said earlier, to minimise stress on him it's no problem to keep him in his carrier and leave the carrier with you at your end so he just has the travel to contend with.

You could always put it on the backburner for a month or so, see how he is recovering and see if there is any interest in him from someone more local to him.  If there isn't then maybe look at taking him on again.

He does look so adorable though and it's a shame he may miss out on a good home just because of the distance involved.  Maybe he could do it in easier stages - if someone midway could keep him overnight for example?  That way he would only be doing the journey in shorter stages.

Karen

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 13:30:41 PM »
You are both right. He might end up very stressed and tense - probably not the best for him as he is trying to recover.. I don't know what to do now. But maybe it would be for the best if he stayed in his own area, as much as we would love to take him.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 13:26:13 PM »
It will be a long journey for him, even on a train - would be leaving home about 5.30am, get into Euston at 9am ish and then he needs to get across London to Surrey.  I know mine would hate being in a carrier on train or car for that length of time - it depends on what sort of temperment he has I suppose.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
you should never sedate a cat for travelling as it can be fatal. 7 hours is a long journey for an injured cat though so if he can be homed in his own area that would be better for him

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »
Robin just told me Blackpool to Surrey is around a 7 hour journey! I didn't realise that - thought it would be more like 3 hours. (not good at the geography!)

Are cats ok to travel that LONG distances??? - will he be sedated? (not my question, someone mentioned this happens sometimes) Especially with a broken pelvis? Because I am thinking maybe would be more fair to Buster if he was rehomed within his area. I have to have a think about it.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 20:53:59 PM »
Yes as long as they are in a carrier (well they would be running free lol )

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 18:59:24 PM »

1) Need to check with Virgin that he could come on the train(s) with me and hoping he doesn't mind travelling - especially as I have to change at Crewe I think!   Crying cats and train for several hours would be a recipe for stress for me and everyone around!

I might be abloe to answer that question, My friend works for Virgin so i have sent her a message to ask

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 18:48:59 PM »
I can do the train run for Buster if he can be collected from Euston at 9am (ish - need to double check arrival of train but I know it's early).  I couldn't keep him with me any later as I have plans made and cats coming along wouldn't be wise! 

There are a few problems that would need overcoming quite quickly -

1) Need to check with Virgin that he could come on the train(s) with me and hoping he doesn't mind travelling - especially as I have to change at Crewe I think!   Crying cats and train for several hours would be a recipe for stress for me and everyone around!

2) Where I would keep him overnight the night before - small house, two resident cats that are shut in kitchen over night.  Ideally I would be able to borrow a cage or crate for him to sleep in (obviously would be returned to where-ever after he has left - maybe could borrow from where he is coming from) and would pick up a litter tray somewhere for him.  Buster would obviously have to be collectible (by me) on New Year's Day which may not suit his current carer.

3) Would need a carrier that can be left at the other side as there is unfortunately no way I can take mine down and back.  Not sure how small collapsible ones go into but as I will already have a suitcase then travelling with a cat carrier as well on the way home would be a no-no - my back will not thank me for doing it one way let alone both ways (albeit lighter on the way back)!

On top of all this - if Tigerbaby is only back on the 2nd, that is the day I am travelling and he would need to leave me at 9am ish so it may not be the best option for her.

Other than that, for a car journey, I can pick up and take to anywhere within an hour or two from Blackpool any weekend other than this weekend.  I'd honestly prefer the car option - I can get a carrier from Argos or somewhere that he can live in for the entire journey so there is no swapping him between legs. :)

Karen (the other one!)
x

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 18:07:24 PM »
No "Sootyca" is the karen who can do the train run !

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 16:27:01 PM »
Hmm, so is the "train Karen" the one that's had to pull out? :scared: I'm easily confused you know!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Karen-covcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
im a different karen not train one. i mean by car

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 23:12:12 PM »
So would Nicky need to get him to Coventry? Then he'd be with Karen by train to London, is that right?

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 22:35:57 PM »
As said before im in coventry and can help on the 2nd. Could go either way whatever helps.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 21:56:53 PM »
We can do the 3rd if thats any help? We're Liverpool so could do Charnock Richard (or other NW M6 services) to the midlands?  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 21:30:45 PM »
So - which areas of transport are covered? I think Nicky will try and get help Blackpool way if we can establish where people are willing to help.

How about Karen's offer of bringing him down by train on the 2nd ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 20:47:49 PM »
So - which areas of transport are covered? I think Nicky will try and get help Blackpool way if we can establish where people are willing to help.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 17:58:51 PM »
Thanks all. Just keep posting if you can offer any help -  I/we can pick up anywhere in London. xx

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 22:45:57 PM »
Unfortunately guys i gotta pull out of this trip somethings come up best of luck to you getting it sorted xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 19:57:33 PM »
and a lot less stressful journey as less stopping and starting and none of those ghastly motorway feeding stations ...

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 19:51:40 PM »
Or, if he is good at travelling and (Virgin trains allow it) he could come down on the train to London with me next Friday.....as long as someone could collect him from Euston at 9am!  Given his circumstances though I'm not sure how wise this course of action would be!

Karen

I wonder if that would be the best option ?
It would be alot quicker by train......

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 13:03:54 PM »
Thanks for all your help - I can pick up anywhere in London too, and if Robin is at home then possibly by car.

Yes anytime from 2nd of January is good for us - gives us time to prepare his space and get all the necessary bits & bobs for his arrival.  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
I think tigerbaby can't take Buster until the 2nd January - so any transport arrangements need to be after that date. All these offers of help are wonderful!

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
Im free to help on the 1st if needed to have him overnight and then free the 2nd or 3rd i am supposed to be heading to oxford one of those days if that helps but if not dont mind taking a separate journey. Im in coventry so if i can help with either leg of journey or if needed to have him overnight i can.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 20:02:48 PM »
I couldn't do the 2nd/3rd/4th I'm afraid.  I could possibly take him somewhere on the 1st if someone wanted to keep him overnight for one or two nights to carry on the journey at a later date?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 19:40:14 PM »
Yeah! It's looking good. :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 16:45:55 PM »
Looks like a plan is coming together here.......lots of luck in getting Buster home, I bet if he could hear that he would be so happy  ;D

I wish I wasnt so far West cos would have helped.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 16:39:18 PM »
I'm free on the 2nd to do midlands area southwards if needed

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
In that case, H, I can help on the 2nd or 3rd (Friday/Saturday) if others can get him down to the M25.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »
Hey all!

Thanks for all your offers to help - we will be back from 2nd of January onwards.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
We could probably help between Manchester and Nottingham if it's at the weekend - unless from Blackpool you wouldn't go that way
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 22:12:30 PM »
I can do the first/northern leg of any journey if that's any help - would prefer it to be next week if possible but am away at the back end of next week and back at work the week after that.

Or, if he is good at travelling and (Virgin trains allow it) he could come down on the train to London with me next Friday.....as long as someone could collect him from Euston at 9am!  Given his circumstances though I'm not sure how wise this course of action would be!

Karen

Link to CatChat