Author Topic: Cleptomaniac cats  (Read 5445 times)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Re: Cleptomaniac cats
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
Amber is the nightmare for posting things under the furniture in this house as Mogs doesnt really play much.
A friends gave me a yellow ball that I threw for Amber, she ignored it completely so I went to bed that night and havent seen it since lol.

As for finding things you dont want a couple of years ago the caretaker asked if it was ok for some workmen to come in and check my aerial as I live in a block of flats so its communal. I said fine and they crawled around behind the TV for a while then left. I realised after they'd gone they'd unplugged my aerial so I crawled around behind the TV and.......... Found a dried up glued to the tiled floor pile of sicked up biscuits  :sick:

Oh the shame :-[

love
Tab

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 11:25:12 AM »
Liz Zephyr brings home rubber bands as well ..... especially in the winter (obviously it's a bit cold and the worms are a bit to difficult to catch) so he resorts to the Royal mail rubber bands as an easy kill.  I actually watched him the other morning trotting along the top of the 6 foot fence with an elestic band in his mouth which he was bringing home for me, looking pleased as punch with himself  :rofl:

The thing that annoys me is that the postmen/women are obviously dropping these things on the ground willy nilly and not bothering to pick them up  >:( 

Fortunately Zephyr doesn't eat the bands but I know lots of cats / dogs that love to eat them and end up at the vets being very poorly!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »
My cleptomaniac cat seems to have a rubber fetish   :innocent:.  It started with the red elastic bands that Royal mail use - regularly 2 or 3 left in our hall, but he has also brought in a rubber glove and a swimming hat (not from our house). :shify:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »
Got paranoid with all the posts about where things were so had a look in the bathroom...there's a little nook in there and found two treats and a very large furball! :sick:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »
Cheese had four little felix football things (with the spinning disk inside) in our old flat. They were ALWAYS going missing. But when we moved, even after taking EVERYTHING, we only found 2 - what happened to the other 2? did she secretly eat them??

Theres always things you think you will come across when you move out but then dont?! :innocent:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 00:37:27 AM »
I reckon there is a Ping Pong Fest somewhere and they all go and meet up for a curry and a beer and then they forget where they live  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 22:38:42 PM »
When I got Jaffa and Magpie nearly 10 years ago I bought them a pack of 10 ping pong balls.  I've never thrown one out but haven't seen one for donkeys years.  Where did they all go?  :shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 20:45:30 PM »
 :rofl: that made me laugh. Mine the same they like to get behind the sofa and I had blocked up both ends and Misa kept trying to dive over the top and eventually he climbed over the blockade and knocked everything down, so have unblocked one end...............dread to think what maybe lurking behind it now!!

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 20:42:06 PM »
What, you didn't let him keep the dead sparrow?

Hm, I've also given up trying to keep them from behind the sofa. Monkey (4 months and very slender) loves being behind there, and Poppy (large Norwegian Forest) finally decided to try it out. Result: she got stuck. She'd wedged herself in so tight I had to move to sofa to get her out. Although when I moved the sofa, she just gave me this look as if to say "You are spoiling my fun". (She likes small spaces.)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 20:36:26 PM »
Well I cant move the sofa without a fight, its too heavy but moved it a bit just before Christmas and there were ping pong balls, most of their balls are missing most of the time, a blanket and a dead sparrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Misa has been hassling me ever since and keeps going up on the top of the back to try and peer over it to look for dam sparrow............he knows back of the sofa is forbidden but gets on at the other end when I am in the middle of eating or drawing and he knows I cat reach him. Misa, meeshaaaaa, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and it doest work any more, he just looks at me from a safe distance  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 18:51:16 PM »
Zephyr bringing the worms in he will push them under the sofa and leave the poor things to dry out and die  >:(

Brilliant!  Poor worms though, but there's a clever Zephyr!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 18:42:34 PM »
Can anyone tell me why toys get ut in the food bowl?  Every night I come home from work and Rossi's little blue velvet mouse is always in the food bowl (whether there's food in it or not).  Foxy and Zephyr have never done this but I know lots of other cats that like to make sure there toys get something to eat.

With regards to things under the sofa ... I reguarlarly find dried worms (lovely) if I don't notice Zephyr bringing the worms in he will push them under the sofa and leave the poor things to dry out and die  >:(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 18:35:22 PM »
He's probably spelling out:

FEED ME SEYMOUR, FEED ME!!

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 18:30:50 PM »
Moving the fridge! Far too scary... ;)

Mark, it's not so much me not wanting to do housework... it's just impossible! Poppy comes running as soon as I start the hoover, she's convinced it's a toy for her, and I actually have to keep pushing her away... As for any kind of duster or cloth - they are obviously also for playing with. Although the most important cleaning task is the cleaning of the litter trays. Every time I wash them out in the bathroom, both cats are supervising to make sure I do a good job.

About fridge magnets... Monkey likes taking the alphabet magnets off the fridge, carrying them in his mouth and dropping in the food bowl. So far we have been unable to work out what it is he's trying to spell out.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 18:27:19 PM »
Our rescue kittens are well trained they usually put toy mice and ping pong balls in their empty food bowls. :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 18:22:49 PM »
Theres 10 ping pong balls missing, last time i i braved moving the fridge i found

pens
tin foil
mouldy cherry tomato
walnut shells
grapes
some grape stalk
all the fridge magnets
corks
bottle caps
alot of cat hair  :scared:
milk bottle foil

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 18:22:35 PM »
Watch it Mark...we knows where ya live!!! :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 18:17:18 PM »
Poor old cats being scapegoated by people who don't like housework!  :evillaugh: :rofl:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 18:14:22 PM »
 :rofl: Lottie

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 18:13:15 PM »
Tigger likes to steal my socks and when I was younger and living at home Mollie used to steal my bras. I was sooo embararsed when my best friend Alex (boy) was round at my house when I was about 14 and Mollie came running into the lounge with one of my bras round her neck  :-[ :-[
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 18:10:34 PM »
Hm, I know what you mean about knowing the actual number of toys in existence, but not the whereabouts... We recently got a bag of 12 ping-pong balls for our cats - but I only know where about 1 or 2 of them are! And they are too big to fit under the sofa. Hm.  :Crazy:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 18:07:05 PM »
Lexy has 10 sponge balls that look like little footballs.....I can account for 4 that are visible. The other 6 are under the sofas.

Lexy has 2 furry mice. Only 1 accounted for.

Lexy has crinkly foil balls, 4 out of 5 under a sofa.

I have make up pens, some expensive ones.  2 under the sofa.

I have pens, lots of them, I don't know where those are, maybe under the sofa.

I can't explain it other than thats where they roll to and then they can't get them out so they leave them there.

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
Cleptomaniac cats
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 18:02:16 PM »
Anybody else have furry thieves? This is what I found when cleaning the front room...

Under sofa 1:

Letter from Petplan
drinking straw
3 pens
stalk from grapes
tea light
sleeve piece from sewing pattern
attachment for partners beard trimmer
3 empty thread reels
empty bead container
toy mouse
13 plastic bottle tops (they always get the tops from plastic bottles as toys - they demand it!)
button
rubber cat toy thinggy
2 peas
3 plastic eggs from Kinder eggs (I keep them for cat toy making, but they steal them before I can sew them inside woolly mice!)

Under sofa no 3:
pen
empty thread reel
2nd page of letter from Petplan
6 bottle tops

WHY does everything have to end up under a sofa!!!???

Link to CatChat