Author Topic: FELV jab  (Read 10857 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: FELV jab
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2006, 21:35:46 PM »
I wish that vets were allowed to say 'no, I am not willing to put your pet through anything more,

If only, at least with a rescue a vet could report the branch to the HQ. I know my vet only acts in a pets interest and I once had a problem with a fosterer who would not 'let go' they had a word with me and I have no doubt had I not sorted it Eric would have contacted HQ and rightly so in my opinion.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2006, 21:24:56 PM »
Our vet it is one for flu and enteritis and the leukaemia is put in towards the back end.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2006, 21:22:48 PM »
I agree FIP is absolutely horrible, one of our fosterers had a little on with FIP a few weeks ago.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2006, 20:17:49 PM »
oops, nevermind, I just checked and she had the felv 2 weeks ago, she's due for something else next monday. :shy: 
Well, anyway she's fine.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2006, 21:16:31 PM »
out of choice i'd go for the flu/enteritis vacc AND the separate felv vacc if theres any chance she'll be going out..even if they only offer the "all in one jab" i'd go for that, like ela said before hundreds of thousands of cats get this vacc and most are all ok.

however you need to think about whether she's going outside or not.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 20:14:56 PM »
I am now concerned about that too. My girl is 12 weeks old and is due for her jab next monday (she's had the flu and enteritis jabs 2 weeks ago)
She's going to be indoors/outdoors in a few months time, after she's spayed.
Should I be worried? The vet never said anything about a reaction

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 19:50:00 PM »
Im a bit concerned now about this, I would have just had my new girl given the full lot before I read this, i'd prefer her to be indoors but she is used to being outside and my other cats have had this vaccine with no problems. What do I do???  Ive an appointment on thursday when I pick her up to have her fully checked and vaccinated, so do I get the whole course or just the flu and enteritis  :-:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 19:27:33 PM »
I wish that vets were allowed to say 'no, I am not willing to put your pet through anything more, you need to think about letting them go' - my neighbours are prime candidates for putting animals through ops and meds for no long term future, and then not being able to let go. I would rather let mine go a week early than a day late, and there is only the first two of mine that I woudl do any differently now - the first one I had only had 9 weeks, way over my head and looked to my neighbour for guidance - as the vet said there was a slight chance of improvement, she said I had to go for it. As a result, she died alone at the vets. Second was cos I didn't know enough about FIP, no internet access and only my neighbours outdated book to go on, the vets just said it was my choice. i would pts immediately with FIP now I know more about it. And I have learnt from those two, and with both the last two my neighbour thought I was in the wrong, but I know I wasn't.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 19:56:15 PM »
I know I have clutched at straws sometimes, although I have never ever let a cat suffer as some people do before making 'the decision'.  Nowadays however I am more realistic.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 18:52:55 PM »
true very true.  I myself with heinzsight should have let soots go a good few days before i did, but we live in hope of miracles or meds will "kick" in.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 18:51:13 PM »
Sadly sometimes people think of themselves and not what is really in the cats interest, I am sure though that we have all been guilty of that at some time.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 19:46:42 PM »
the lady that was in charge during my era never thought she knew best but was actually a lovely person , this was her downfall...she just wanted to save everything and i think blinded to what was actually reality.

sometimes i feel as nice as my boss was and yes he did actaully care but  potentially he didnt want to lose the cpl trade so to speak as i know had we refused she would have gone to a vet elsewhere.

there were a few cases over the years but one tiny little white cat will always stick in my mind who had previously lost her ears to cancer and then had to endure a DOUBLE mammary strips, i dont know if that means anything to you but they truely arent nice ops that cause such pain and discomfort  (cut from arm pit to groin) and can be difficult to heal in the groin and auxilla areas and with cancer in both sides,, well stands to reason secondarys were highly probable even if you couldnt see anything on the chest xrays first, it still makes me very sad thinking of the poor wee soul, she was nice but timid and so tiny..just not fair.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 18:38:18 PM »
I am afraid before I was Co-ordinator some cats who in reality only had days were put through the mill, The old Co-ordinator thought she knew better than anyone else, eveb the vet, absolutely rediculas in my opinion. Now I ?am in charge I am always guided by our vet as I know he will put nothing to sleep unless it is absolutely necessary. If a cat can be saved and have a worthwhile life after I authorise the vet to do whatever is necessary no matter what the cost.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 18:26:42 PM »
i remember being in tears more than once ela when a little one was coming round from severe invasive surgerys knowing that this pain was only to possibly give them weeks then those weeks spend in body stockings and coming back for dressing changes and stitches taken out and lots of check ups, i soo wished i could have been allowed to say PLEASE STOP ITS JUST NOT FAIR ! (of course that wasnt my place and sometimes even i had to know when to shut up)

maybe i am too pro euthanasia but possibly thats not always a bad thing.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 19:14:25 PM »
I know exactly what you are saying Lynn, sadly some people do not know just when to say yes to the final act of kindness.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 18:02:27 PM »
yes ela, i suspect funds were probably the root cause of them not being vacc up here, i'd be interested to know if they do now.

mind you if the peeps in charge didnt spend so much money (that they did then) keeping some poor animals going and through horrendous ops just to keep them alive when it would have been kinder to pts then they might have had a bit more money (and my boss should have had more of a back bone aswell to say NO enough is enough)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 15:39:56 PM »
It is up to the individual Branches, we have all cats that are to be indoor/outdoor injected against enteritis, cat flu and Leukaemia, and cats that are to be homed as indoor only against enteritis and cat flu.

I think we have to remember that tens of thousands of cats are injected every year and the benefits far outweight  any slight risk and indeed may save the lives af many

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 14:15:13 PM »
Yes that made sense Lynn, thanks  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 14:58:35 PM »
gill the full blown reaction is anaphylatic shock which can happen with any vaccine, we have to now sit in the wating room for around 15/20 mns after kids having vaccs for that very reason !!

the symtoms your puss had would have been the bodys reaction to the antigens in the vaccine which obvously is meant to stimulate a immune response and make the body make antibodies.

(if that made sense)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 14:51:29 PM »
This is interesting because I got Sasa and Misa from CP in Jul 2005 and Misa had been given FeLV jab by accident I was told . They said that they had bought the wrong vaccine as usually they didnt jab for that , so wewre just using it up. OK Misa was 4yrs old at time and when he went back for 2nd half he was very ill for 24hrs and under waether for a week after. This year I have refused for him to be given that vaccine but when we were on CC, the make of vaccine seemed to be causing probs and when I searched on internet I made contact with a breeder in scandinavia who had a kitten that had such a severe reaction very quickly that even with immediate emergency treatment , it only just survived.

My vet had said that if it was a full blown reaction it happens within 45mins of jab and emergency treatment would be needed immediately if the cat was to stand any chance of surviving.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 13:43:54 PM »
Ela can you tell me (if you know) if it is now cpl policies nation wide to vaccinate (with or without felv) before rehoming any cats ??

i ask as we used to do a fair bit of cpl (scotland) work in practice and none were vaccinated prior to rehoming. of course as you know ive not been working for the past 5 years in my permanent place where i worked so maybe that is something that has started since i left, Post leaving work i did some locum posts but cant say i was involved with cpl stuff.

just out of interest on my behalf.

lynn X

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 14:37:35 PM »
CP vet reply:-

Hi Elaine
Cats in CP Adoption Centre?s are vaccinated against feline herpesvirus, feline calicivirus, Chlamydophila felis, feline parvovirus and feline leukaemia virus.  Any cats thought to be in a ?higher risk? category for FIV/FeLV are also blood tested before vaccinated.
 It is not currently CP policy for branches to have to vaccinate (although it is encouraged), but it is likely to shortly be a minimum standard that vaccines are given against at least flu and enteritis for all CP cats regardless of age. 
 Vaccination is generally a safe procedure that has substantially reduced the incidence of serious disease within the feline population.  Side effects are rare, especially in view of the thousands of doses that are administered every year, and we feel the risk of a reaction outweighs the protection that the vaccination provides. 
However, vaccination is a procedure that is not completely risk free, and a case by case approach to the risk of infectious diseases against the risk of vaccination should be made by the vet whose care the cats are under (i.e. the branch vet in this case).  We would also recommend that only healthy cats are vaccinated.   
Adult cats are less susceptible to FeLV than kittens and therefore most FeLV positive cats are under 6 years old.  However, this age related resistance is not guaranteed and cats could still become infected if they were to come into contact with high levels of the virus.   There have been devastating cases of cats not being vaccinated at all, because they were thought to be at low risk of disease (e.g. older cats and/or indoor cats) and then contracting a fatal illness.  Whilst these cases should be kept in perspective, it should be remembered that older cats can still be susceptible to disease (including FeLV), even if the risk is thought to be slim.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 19:35:38 PM »
I have passed you comments on to the CP vet for her advice.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 19:30:30 PM »
It goes in line with Rosella's post Ela, but I have heard from 2 rescues that kittens have died from this jab - my local CP branch asked one owner to split the jabs, and the Flu etc one was fine, it was defo the FeLV jab that affected them. Yet the locum vet said she had never known that happen. My reasons are more toward the age and immunity though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 19:11:27 PM »
This year was Tom's first year without the FELV jab as he is 17 at Christmas but Billy (2) and Freddie (5) have the jab with flu jab as all have access outdoors.? I discussed this with vet in partic re bad reactions you hear about. He said he has had only a very, very few bad reactions reported to him over the years(he's in his early 50s I'd say) and he had heard that, if they happen, reactions see more common in kittens rather than cats.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 14:07:55 PM »
Desley, please see replu from CP vet Hi Elaine

Thank you for that.  Before I reply fully, can you tell me either what the horror stories were that they were talking about so that I can ensure I can give you some suitable information?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 13:48:11 PM »
To be honest if cats are indoor only there is not need for the FeLV injection as it is not an airborn disease. Of course if they escape form time to time then perhaps it is worth it.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 13:25:16 PM »
Mine are indoor only and all have the felv vaccination.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »
Only 1 of mine has it.  My other 2 were given it by mistake last year by the vet, but won't be getting it again as they both reacted badly and were ill for a week afterwards.  They are mostly indoor by choice anyway and steer clear of other cats.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 11:38:27 AM »
In regards to indoor cats, iv read about a few that have got it.
In a way, are they at more risk as they dont get to meet the virus and make their own immunity ???

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 11:35:20 AM »
My lot dont have it,? for the same reasons as Desley gives (im a copycat? :rofl:? ?)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 09:43:09 AM »
I will contact the CP vet now to  clarify CP Position  re injecting against FeLV as when we were left a legacy CP HQ asked us to spend some of it on having all out cats fully injected fromr that time.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 22:36:25 PM »
simple, i'm lurve sick  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 22:31:30 PM »
I wont have mine done against it - heard a lot of horror stories from rescues, although the locum vet tried to tell me she hadn't seen anything like that!! She was quite happy to vaccinate without testing though, whcih I didn't like. My local CP branch had been to a seminar and found out that if they are older cats who have had outdoor access, it is unnecessary, as they have prob come into contact with it and become immune - mine fit that bill. Although I doubt Molly will be being vacc'd fullstop, as catching her twice in 3 weeks woudl be incredibly difficult, and even the rescue agreed with me on that one, I wanted to foster her way before I did, but she was uncatchable even then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 21:59:03 PM »
Sorry Lynn, this has got nowt to do with FELV, I was just nosing at profiles ... 75 posts a day? :wow:
One can never have too many cats.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 21:55:06 PM »
yes i think vets commonly use the 3 in 1s now

we didnt where i used to work but they were just beginning to come into the market then, im sure there are more side effects with the 3 in 1 aswell..

cant say i remember there being a big problem with the one on its own...the main pro for it is the cat needs one injection instead of two but i never viewed 2 much of a problem anyway.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 21:51:31 PM »
I have Devon done as he's out most of the day, in at night though and Paddy's done just because Devon is.  However I didn't want Pru to have the FELV when she went down for her booster as she never had it when she came from the breeder but my vet didn't have the vaccine without it in (is this making sense? :Crazy:) so basically she had to have it and now I have to go back 3 weeks later to have the 2nd part of it.  I couldn't wait for him to get a batch of the flu etc in without the FELV in it because she needed her booster before she could be shown.  He's not charging me for the 2nd part of it but that's not really the point!
One can never have too many cats.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 21:32:33 PM »
Its pretty even then with people having/not having it done
I have never had the FELV vac done on my lot -
heard too many bad reports about it and also was told by a vet that there is still quiet a high risk of catching FELV even after being vaccinated for it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 18:55:28 PM »
FeLV is not needed for catteries.? Jaffa goes into a cattery every xmas and has never needed the FeLV vaccination.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 18:50:51 PM »
thats what i thought but long time since ive dealt with a cattery, actually my boys never been in one.

Link to CatChat