Author Topic: Do cats have more than their fair share of disease?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Do cats have more than their fair share of disease?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 17:24:22 PM »
You can have a human grade tunafish but if you handle/process it in a factory that doesnt have high standards of hygiene its no longer fit for human consumption...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 22:05:45 PM »
I think in the UK they are only allowed to use animals fit for human consumption - in the US, it is a different story though, their byproducts are a lot worse than ours. But, the fact it is fit for human consumption doesn't actually mean that much - we aren't obligate carnivores like cats. Never noticed that about the Tuna Imperial Mark - but then companies like HiLife use the dark tuna meat for their food, whereas we eat the light tuna meat, so maybe that is the difference.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 17:33:21 PM »
I think that's true, ela.  I think pet companies are only allowed to use animals that are fit for human consumption, but they do use the bits of the animals I would definitely not want to eat!  They get what's left we us humans have taken the best bits.  Plus they can add other things and the balance of nutrients is designed for cats not people.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 17:30:02 PM »
Well the cans of tuna imperial have "petfood only" printed on the base so there must be some difference I suppose?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 17:14:04 PM »
I thought all cat food had to be fit for human consumption, althought I would not like to be a tester.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 17:00:01 PM »
I think you have a good point re commercial catfood - I'm sure they use "meat" "not fit for human consumption" in most of them. That could have tumours, hormones & lots of other nasties in it. Although I read (on here I think) a while ago that waltham have human tasters.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 16:46:00 PM »
I wouldnt have thought they suffer with more, we just hear about more frequenting forums, and the fact that cats live longer mean they are going to get more as their bodies aren't designed for it - their organs start to slow down at the age of 8. I also sometimes wonder if commercial pet food has something to do with it, but vetinary medicine does mean cats will have a better chance with certain conditions.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 16:40:13 PM »
I think it's a lot to do with cats living longer and veterinary medicine now being able to keep alive cats with quite serious conditions.  If you think about it - how many people over 60 do you know that don't have some sort of medical condition?  Arthritis, diabetes..... and so on.  I'm not sure I know many people at all above about 40 that don't have any medical problems, even if they are relataively minor.  Translate that into cats and bear in mind that they can't tell us how they feel and it may be harder to stabilise conditions such as diabetes and I think that accounts for a lot.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 16:33:46 PM »
Brrrrrm brrrrm!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 16:32:22 PM »
I think cats are a bit like cars .... some of them run for years and years and never have any problems and others are constantly in the garage with a "fault".

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 16:12:46 PM »
I would never have found you all if it hadn't been for cat health probs and I suspect that is how many of us found our way here looking for answers and some solace (both of which thankfully alot of us found in abundance) but also found likeminded people and so we stay. 

Also, as we are all a bit cat crazy, I suspect our boys and girls live longer than the average so, like humans, the older they get the more health probs they have.

So I agree that the collective cat illness experiences that we share doesn't reflect cat health generally .....at least I certainly hope not!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 15:59:35 PM »
To be honest I dont think they do   but cos we all get on this forum we hear a lot more about their problems

I think you may be quite right, I expect that if we were on a dog forum we may think dogs have more problems.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 14:36:18 PM »
Hi Mark,

To be honest I dont think they do :shy:  but cos we all get on this forum we hear a lot more about their problems.  I have had cats all my life and Squeaky died when he was 19 of old age.  There are also a lot of cats on here of a great age.  so I really think its the wonders of the internet. If you think about it we have members from NZ, America, France and all over the UK.  Its lovely cos if their is a problem someone can help but I dont think we should get it out of context.

x she

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 14:34:27 PM »
I think your right there Mark. I seem to be forever at the vet with one of mine. I know all nine are rescues and never had the best start in life.

My last dog however never had a days illness until 3 days befor he died and he was nearly 15 he was PTS at home and his ashes are in his fav spot by Daddys chair near the fire

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Do cats have more than their fair share of disease?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 14:29:24 PM »
Is it my imagination or do cats seem to suffer more health problems than people or other animals. It just seems so many kitties have kidney or liver problems, cancer, blindness etc. It doesn't seem fair. I don't have much experience with dogs so nothing to go on.

Link to CatChat