Author Topic: Franta going for tests and op - vet visit  (Read 46262 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Franta going for tests and op
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
Sorry I went to bed Gill  :(

Second what Sue says. You had the dental done coz he needed it but natural for you to be second guessing yourself while he's recovering  :hug:   Very unlikely that Franta in pain if he's had the metacam jab. I'm quite sure it lasts at least 24 hours and, in injection form, kicks in really quickly.  Prob don't want to overdo the metacam in case he has any kidney ishoos?

I do hope he's more himself this morning. I know you said your vet wasn't on duty today but I'm sure she's not the only one there to offer advice today if you need it.  Have to say I took the easy way out when it came to giving Freddie his anti biotics and brought him to vets for VNs to do it coz I could bear to think I'd hurt him. But Freddie had virtually all his teeth removed and Franta's only had a couple and a few little ones. Taking his ABs is though I assume important coz of bacteria in the mouth area. Also have you picked up some of that AD stuff for the lovely boy?  He doesn't need to eat much of it coz it's so nutritious. Freddie was quite down for about 3 to 4 days but he had a lot more teeth out. 

Good cuddly vibes to the man of the moment  :cuddle:

btw sending blood tests away a good thing as more reliable than in house I think.

Hope your back giving you less hassle today and hope you finally managed to get some sleep as you need to look after yourself so you can administer to the patient  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:39 AM »
Gill, how's our little blue eyed man this morning?  

Don't be feeling guilty.  If this treatment hadn't been done, it would end up being a much bigger job in the long term, which wouldn't be good for a more mature gent like he is.   :hug: :hug:  he'll forgive you once he's up and about again - he loves his Mum!  You're the source of all his cuddles.  Paddy sends his very best, and hope to hear from you later.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
Hope he is feeling better today, but if he was on a drip so long, not eating or drinking last night wouldnt have been an issue, I have only had one cat that needed a further boost after a dental, all the others have been fine, but if he has one small kidney, it will take his body longer to process the anaesthetic - if you are still concerned today, do ring the vet back
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »
Sorry Gill, fell asleep on the sofa and only just woke up again. :doh:

Hope Franta is feeling better this morning.  Have they given you a syringe to help feed him or to give him liquids.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:37 AM »
Try not to worry Gill all cats react differently.  When I had my three one came round as if there had never been a GA and the other two wobbled and slept on and off for a few hours.  Think about when we have one and how we feel afterwards, it is a bit shock to the system.  Also the painkillers may make Franta sleepy.  Hope there is a big improvement this morning.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:42 AM »
How is Franta ??
Hope He is feeling better today :shy:
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »
how is dear Franta this morning Gill?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »
Everyones gone to bed grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am worried about Franta again....he is making lots of little noises and hope that its not his lungs. Also hope its not cos he is in pain.

he wont eat or drink which is not surprising but diont know what to watch for in case he needs to be rushed somewhere tonight.

He is more awake and he is now on the table by my side and he got up there all by himself............maybe he just gets exhausted when he has move around a bit.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2008, 00:21:53 AM »
He is starting to wake up I think but legs not very co-ordinated. has wandereed round the room, had a scratch on a post and now back behind sofa resting.

I feel so sorry for him as he was so happy before he went.

will have to ring vets tomorrow about antibiotics cos have lost them completely but suspect its a waste of time cos wont beable to get them into him and he is not wanting to eat or drink. He has been on a drip for hours though.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 23:48:26 PM »
In might not seem it but it sounds like he is doing very well :hug:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 23:29:28 PM »
Sorry to hear you're so worried about Franta  :hug:  They all respond to anaesthetic differently, so I'd guess it's just taking him a bit longer to come around from it and that he will be fine in a couple of days. 

I hope the tests dont' reveal anything too worrying. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 23:03:24 PM »
Thanks all

I have been in chat and cos on lappie can only be one place at a time.

Franta is up for a while and then he lies down again, doesnt seem to know what he is doing.

havent paid anything yet cos all this is ongoing.

No apparently they cant do a test like that gillian cos they want a sterile specimin, depending on results awaited, and only way for this is to go into the bladder. apparently with some cats they can just do it without anything but she says noty franta.

He isn up and wandering like adrunken sailor and yes he haqs had painkillers, was put in the drip whicjh he was on until i collected him.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 22:00:37 PM »
Oh Gill  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have been stalking you on "members last posts" to see what's going on. Poor Franta. I know it's a terrible worry when they get older and so understand you not being able to take things in when confronted with so much unexpected upsetting info all at once. Do you know if they gave Franta a Metacam jab as if they did at least you can be quite sure he will not be in any discomfort when he properly comes around.  I think it's pretty normal to do so with dentals. I'm sure you'll find the anti biotics soon enough when you've had a chance to chill out a little. Very unlikely that you need to give antibiotics tonight in any event. If you've got a receipt that should tell you what you've paid for.

I was beside myself with worry when Freddie had all but 2 teeth extracted.  I was told to let Freddie eat if he wanted to but he had 2 licks of the prescription diet I picked up and that was it for the 1st evening.  I was worried sick but he was a lot better the next morning.  Freddie's was a lot more invasive but he was significantly younger. Can only say he was a different cat after he recovered.  Also worrying news about Franta's kidney but really nothing to be done about that just now.  Time enough to get more information when blood test results come through.  Like Paddy said a few days back (think it was Paddy) one kidney can be enough.

Being back at home should help him rest. Can't have been much fun being away from his family overnight.

Very sorry to hear about your back as well  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2008, 21:58:33 PM »
Yes he's bound to still feel a bit groggy and wobbly until the anaesthetic wears off completely. do you know how long the results of the urinalysis and bloods will be? Maybe you will be able to get a urine sample from him (with the saucer routine!) rather than having him put under again if another sample is needed? Hope he will feel better soon  :hug: When your head is clearer tomorrow, ring the vet and get her to run through things with you again if you are still not sure about anything - I know its hard to take it all in at the time.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 21:52:46 PM »
I can only say that Blip was groggy for several days after she had her upper canine removed.  Even with pain relief, it must hurt like heck  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2008, 21:49:02 PM »
Hope Franta is feeling better soon.
When i took Smartie and he has the lump removed and his teeth cleaned , i picked him up about 5pm and he was really wobbly , and he was a bit wobbly for 2-3  days afterwards too .
I just let him sleep it off , but checked him about every 10 mins and all through the night too .
Sophie was also very wobbly when i fetched her back from having a tooth out and still slightly wobbly for a couple of days .
They are 11 years and 14 1/2  , so maybe it takes longer to recover when they ar a bit older.
Winston was even a bit unsteady and sat near his water bowl all night when he had an impacted fang removed and he is one big heavy  cat - he is 10.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2008, 21:43:32 PM »
Hopefully it's just the anaesthetic that has knocked him back a bit, I know when I had my OP the anaesthetic really knocked me for six for the first 24 hours or so  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 21:42:11 PM »
Fingers and toes crossed that Franta is feeling much perkier soon  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 21:40:28 PM »
Sorry to hear Franta is still wobbly ... keeping everything crossed that he will be perkier in the morning.   :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2008, 21:35:11 PM »
 :hug: :hug: Oh Gill, they are a worry. :hug: :hug: Hope Franta's feeling better tomorrow.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2008, 21:24:50 PM »
i am sorry that he is still so sleepy after the op, I have only had that with one of my cats, it was a rescue vet and they used a different kind of anaesthetic, she was fine by the morning though. It is normal for dentals to be done last due to the bacteria in the mouth. Fingers crossed for the blood results, shame they couldn't do them in house
Please spay your cat

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 21:24:09 PM »
Gill glad he is safely home now, what a worry.

Am sure its normal for him to be dozy, he should improve overnight. Archie was like this after his ops and he is younger.

I would just let him have a good rest :hug:

Also sorry to hear about your back :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2008, 21:23:25 PM »
Awww Gill - maybe hes very woozy after the op.. if he hasnt picked up soon maybe it would be an idea to call the emergency vet..

When fredcat had a sedative last he was just like how Franta sounds now , but he picked right up after it wore off. :hug:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 21:23:54 PM by Kirst »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2008, 21:23:14 PM »
 :hug: poor thing, Schui was on a drip the whole time of his teeth removal and he has many ailments. he's probably still recovering from the anaesthetic Gill and the upset of it all, I hope he's perkier tomorrow but do ring the vet if not. 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2008, 21:17:38 PM »
you will have to forgive me for typos etc cos I am so worried bout franta.

I took in a happy meowy bouncy cat and he is hoem now since about 1930 and he could hardly walk and was falling over and I wasnt told that he was gonna be like this still. He isw currently flat out, literally.

He has had 2 teeth out and some little ones that were loose but he has problems and has been xrayed. Its his kidneys and one is very small and xrays showed that he has a stone in the small one and also something else cant remember , may be crystals possibly blocking up route to that kidney.

They have taken urine and it shows minimal struvite crstals which rthey dont think are a problem but everything has gone off for analisis plus blood. His blood pressuer was high end of normal but sjhe said its OK for a cat of his age and a birman.

I was given antibiotics for him but I cant find them, they were a big box, dont even know what they were called cos didnt look, thought I would wait till got home.

I all confcused now cos of him being so bad when IU got himk home.

He was on a drip right until I picked him up and she said if he wanted to eat tonight to let him, so thats why I didnt expect him to be like he is.

She said that they may need to takwe another urine sample but that would have to be while he was out again cos they would insert a needle staright into his bladder so its sterile but this depends on the results that come in.

I have seen all the zxrays and she says if it was decided to remove the crysxtals then he would need to be referred on.

My head is spinning and am also having probs cos my back has got worse since this afternoon and its a problem driving now, cos have hurt a nerve and now have sciatica in right leg..........my drfiving leg.

Cant coontact the vets again until the morning and the vet that traeted Franta on her day off.

When I rang at 1500, is op and stuff was all over so we are now over 5 hours since the op and other stuff finished and would have thought he would be coming round by now.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 21:06:48 PM »
Hope that Franta is safely back home now and everything went ok. :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2008, 20:36:21 PM »
Hope all went well Gill :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 20:25:14 PM »
Topping up the hugs Gill  :hug:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 20:23:07 PM »
How did he get on Gill? :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 18:02:04 PM »
Hope Franta enjoys  being spoilt safely back at home! :)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 17:54:40 PM »
Everything crossed for Franta :hug:

It will be so good to get him home :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 17:13:21 PM »
I had to see the vet when Charlie was neutered and when he had his ear wash.  Just routine and he went through what he had done, what he had found and the blood test results.  Try not to worry too much.  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 17:10:22 PM »
I agree with what everybody else has said, I'm sure the consult is just routine, but we all worry ourselves sick when our babies are at the vets so we know exactly how you feel.  :hug:  :hug:  Not long now and he'll be home tormenting the life out of you again  :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 16:20:12 PM »
I'm sure the vet will just want to talk about how things went etc,I know we always seem to think the worst,its just our natural instinct to worry when our babies are at the vetI think.

Regarding Ducha,I'm not too sure,if it was me I think I'd just to collect Franta and bring him home to his brother,if your taking Ducha too then you might be stressing him (going in the car etc) without the real need to do it,just my thaughts,feel free to correct me if I am speaking out of turn.

Heres a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig :cuddle: for you Aunty Gillie from us lot and unfortunately the dogs too,mind their fur is nasty and sticks to your clothes,not like us cats :innocent:

Ging,Grwndi,Rameses,Cuddles and Cymro
Love me,love my animals.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 16:18:10 PM »
All I know is that Franta would not have anything to do with Ducha for about 2 weeks after Duchas op, despite exchanging the scent. It upset Ducha who used to go up to Franta and headbutt him and rub against him, so was trying to avoid that.

However its gonna be dark and cold and I dont want to upset Ducha, maybe Franta will be fully awake when he comes home now cos it will be about 4 hours after his op and may want to cuddle more with me.

Thanks for the advice........I have become incompident to make decisions now.........sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 16:13:30 PM »
I probably wouldnt Gill, I'd think I'd wait till Franta is home and both on familiar territory, but you know them best and how you think they'll react to each other.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 16:12:31 PM »
Yes, i have nearly always had to see the vet when one of mine has been in for something and its just been routine every time except when he told me about Smartie having a heart condition.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 16:07:39 PM »
Thanks  ;D

Do you think I should take Ducha now?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 16:06:24 PM »
I shouldnt worry Gill, my vet always makes a short consult appointment with me when I go to collect a cat after any procedure. The vet will want to run through the test results with you - thats a good thing  :hug:

Ditto to all that.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 15:44:38 PM »
I shouldnt worry Gill, my vet always makes a short consult appointment with me when I go to collect a cat after any procedure. The vet will want to run through the test results with you - thats a good thing  :hug:

Link to CatChat