Author Topic: Kittens  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Kittens
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 19:38:40 PM »
Thanks Julie, it is nice to hear from someone who has seen what it is like, and I have to say, I dont think I would want their job. I am surprised at the RSPCA passing so many calls on, when they also do neutering vouchers (which I didn't know till recently, and my CP branch confirmed it for me).

They seem to keep it hush hush dont they!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »
Thanks Julie, it is nice to hear from someone who has seen what it is like, and I have to say, I dont think I would want their job. I am surprised at the RSPCA passing so many calls on, when they also do neutering vouchers (which I didn't know till recently, and my CP branch confirmed it for me).
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 00:46:50 AM »
I would have batted that email Brighton branch sent to you straight to HQ, Ron.  :tired: Yes I know your local mob are horrid but unless HQ get to hear about the way they are treating you, nothing will get done, will it?  :shy:

The branches get a budget for neutering direct from HQ and although in theory they are supposed to make it last the whole year, HQ never seem to mind giving a top up grant if you can show a need. So it's not even money Brighton branch has had to fund raise really, is it?  :innocent: HQ would want to know if certain local individuals aren't living up to CP ideals.  :sneaky:

I think all kinds of volunteer groups, not just animal welfare and not only CP, are liberally scattered with sad little berks with nothing else to do but stamp on people who are really trying to help because it makes them feel powerful. The trick is to go around them if you can't get through to them - if you know what I mean?  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 00:25:44 AM »
They must be breeding little Hiitlers down here in the South then Ron >:(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 00:06:15 AM »
Julie i think you know what our local Brighton cats protection is like its run by a little Hitler who would not help lostcatsbrighton I Did send head office a email once before and they sent it on to our Brighton branch and i got a phone call saying how dare you go over my head and was really having a Go at me till i told her to get lost :censored: :censored:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 23:48:54 PM »
I've actually visited the office at CP HQ that deals with vouchers and spoke with the folks who work there. These people are buried under an avalance of applications for vouchers from all kinds of groups and individuals - litterally the paperwork is stacked right up the wall as far as the ceiling. Give 'em a brake, I say.  :tired:

CP HQ have recently funded a neutering campaign near me in the Isle of Thanet which was organised by a local independant rescue called Thanet Cat Club. I heard it right from HQ's mouths that neutering was their single most important aim in welfare and if needs be funds will be diverted from other areas to pay for it. I am 110% sure they would be eager to help any rescues struggling to pay for neutering and the only reason for slow or lack of response is sheer workload.

One reason for the workload is vast numbers of private individuals calling the helpline who have been refered to CP by the RSPCA. Read into that what you will.  :innocent:

Lesley, Ron, call them again. They WILL help you.  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 15:02:17 PM »
Ela, CP HQ told me I had to put it in writing, and even kindly gave me the e-mail addresses, 2 e-mails later there is still nothing, and I hate constantly asking the same person for the same thing.

Then you need to put it in writing and post a letter and send it  by recorded post, I would also add why give out e-mail addresses when they don't answer those.

I have to say that whenever I contact them I always receive a reply.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 22:36:18 PM »
Ela, CP HQ told me I had to put it in writing, and even kindly gave me the e-mail addresses, 2 e-mails later there is still nothing, and I hate constantly asking the same person for the same thing.

My CP branch do try and avoid taking in older cats, as do an independent rescue I know, and my local RSPCA claim that they never take in a cat over the age of 11 who is healthy - I am currently looking at a nearly 16yo and an 18.5yo both who came into rescue in their senior years, and both are perfectly healthy - plus ones in previous years who have been rehomed. We do take in more oldies now as I get them, so they can have a home environment till they are either rehomed or it is their time, we didn't have the facilities before, and I hate it when I have to say no because I dont physically have the space - I  have turned away 3 from another rescue in the past couple of months too, there is a downside to people knowing you like oldies!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 17:45:56 PM »
Big rescues don't want to know unless they want something, won't take anything in over 18months old

To be honest I don't think that fair comment. Although I appreciate some rescues and perhaps branches of rescues may do this, I can honestly say I do not know one single CP branch that does not take in golden oldies. The oldest cat CP ever took in was 32.

Big rescues don't want to know unless they want something,

Again it is not fair to tar all rescues with the same brush, I and loads of branches help little ones constantly and never ask for anything in return.

At least we work for the cats not money or glory!!

Nor do I or thousands of unpaid slaves volunteers up and down the country in CP.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 17:40:50 PM »
my local CP wont even Link my Lost cat site on to theres, let alone give me Neutering vouchers

Don't bother with local branches. I would suggest you go directly to CP HQ voucher dept and have a word with them.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 17:10:23 PM »
I understand everyone's point of view on this one and trust me its not just down south we have the same problem up here.  Big rescues don't want to know unless they want something, won't take anything in over 18months old and pass out our number constantly.

I too got that email from CP HQ Lesley... twice and a phone call!  lol 

As for the SSPCA... pah!!!... don't get me started!!!!

we just have to realise that we do our bit... and then a lot more.  At least we work for the cats not money or glory!!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 14:30:22 PM »
Why don't you give them a ring and ask for the voucher dept? At least then you should get immediate action.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 22:04:01 PM »
I have written to CP HQ twice and e-mailed with no reply over help with vouchers. I Do find other large charities are worse at giving out our number.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 16:37:09 PM »
have you asked the worthing branch Ron, I met some of them at the hq in march and they seemed very friendly  - I was there on my own and everyone was in little cliques and two of them came over and started to chat

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 16:07:36 PM »
 I agree with you Lesley my local CP wont even Link my Lost cat site on to theres, let alone give me Neutering vouchers, But they are not slow in sending people to when theres a poor old cat to be taken in I should say no but I always put the poor little cats first, but not all cat protection are the same there is always two sides to to a storey theres always good and bad i think it depends who's in charge its usually the Top notch not the volunteers.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 13:08:19 PM »
my local cp are very helpful to us with neutring vouchers and thet have also told us we can write to CP to see if they will give us vouchers directly....

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 13:06:17 PM »
See, my local one probably doesn't class me as "reputable", them being the only "reputable" rescue around here.

It is nothing to do with them, I would contact the voucher dept at CP HQ and sell yourself.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
See, my local one probably doesn't class me as "reputable", them being the only "reputable" rescue around here. :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
one down here seems to be one of those "clickey" groups.

Ours was like that until we split about 6 yrs ago, Mind you they never changed me. ;D

if I could get something in return, ie help with neutering vouchers etc - most of my money seems to go on neutering etc.

See HQ'S instructions about the vouchers:-   Eligibility. Yellow Vouchers may be issued to anyone in genuine need of our financial assistance, this includes students, anyone in receipt of means-tested benefits and those reliant on pensions or low wages. However, if, in your opinion, the cat would not be neutered if we did not help, then please do issue a voucher. They may also be used to assist other reputable feline welfare groups (should the need arise). Our only priority is to reduce the population of unplanned, unwanted and abandoned cats in the UK.
There is of course the normal Blue neuter vouchers value  £20 and the Pink spay vouchers value £26.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
Don't worry Ela, I know that you would never turn away an animal in need, I just wish all CP Branches were run by be people like you, can't you move down here ;D.

Unfortunately, the most local one down here seems to be one of those "clickey" groups.  I have only really been in contact with them once, when they took offence at the fact that I actually existed!! and despite offers of help to them in the past they are not really interested.

I wouldn't mind giving my name as a last resort to CP Headquarters if I could get something in return, ie help with neutering vouchers etc - most of my money seems to go on neutering etc. but I just don't feel confident at the moment to let them use my number and then me be put on a guilt trip when, most of the time, I seem to be over capacity anyway.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »
The big Rescues seem to be able to say no

Please Lesley don't think that all branches of large rescues are like that. We never actually say no but as you know there are times when simply there is no room at the inn although in the case of a life or death situation with us life would win.

We to have our fare share or more than our fare share of a certain Rescue putting people on to us, also strange how it is always problem cats, never so called a cat in a normal situation.

Even when we are full and a cat is not in a drop dead situation we never simply say we are full, we give advice as to how the cat can be helped until we can take it in. We have also for quite a while paid a cattery to have a number of cats in pens until we can bring them in or have re-homed some direct from the cattery.

'I have a cat, I can't keep it' -

As many of us in rescue know that is a comment that we hear almost daily and often more than once a day. Even if I say we are unpaid volunteers and are doing as much as we can and offer advice as what to do until we can bring the little one in, most if the times the caller in such cases a caller can get extremely abusive.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »
I agree with that LEsley, we had someone ring up a few weeks ago, the RSPCA had said they could pick up this cat but couldnt say when, so she rang us up and got really snotty with me when I Said we had no room, and even when I explained I had cats in every single room in teh house and even the cage was in use, it didnt help - her response was 'I can't keep it, I have a cat and I can't put it back, what will I do?' - I bet she didn't have that response to the RSPCA!! What also annoyed me was when she rang up, her comments were 'I have a cat, I can't keep it' - must try that line myself!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 20:46:48 PM »
We are waiting for the calls from people saying they have phoned the RSPCA who won't take in any animals in the 4 weeks leading up to xmas.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 20:06:52 PM »
The most annoying thing is when you get into these places they are half empty  >:( yet still say on their phones they are full  :shify: :shify:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
Ron, I feel for you and know exactly what you are going through.  The big Rescues seem to be able to say no and people accept it from them but not from us one man bands.  I've been trying to keep the numbers down for a couple of months now but there are always those that cannot find help anywhere else and that you cannot turn away.

I had an e-mail from CP Headquarters asking if they could give my telephone number out as a last resort if their centres could not help but surely their organisation has more resources than me.

Keep up your brilliant work Ron, we all just have to hope it will slow down a bit with winter coming.  :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
I am sorry to hear that things are still bad for you Ron, and typical of the RSPCA to pass teh buck.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »
I'd be just the same and couldn't turn them away but there's only so much you can do Ron and the RSPCA shouldn't keep doing that :hug:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:08:36 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
Kittens
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 22:46:10 PM »
Just Had  a Mum and four Tabby kittens dump on our Doorstep were dose it end :Crazy: ;D,,we keep saying no more cats can be taken in But how do you turn the poor little Babes away :Luv2:.
 even the RSPCA are sending people to me with cats and kittens they are telling everyone they are full :-:, I only wish they would Help to support the cats they send still we have homed three kittens and a cat since Friday. still I hear its the same all over the place :(

Link to CatChat