Author Topic: Casper has been hit by a car - phantom limb pain?  (Read 22010 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Casper has been hit by a car - Bad News
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2008, 21:57:34 PM »
Hope that he is fine, there should be pics on here of Pebbles in her tray, they were taken the day she came home, which was the day after she had her leg amputated, as she was doing so well at the vets. While she could get in and out of it, she didn't wee or poo for a day or so after coming home, but the starving and anaesthetic is the normal reason.
Please spay your cat

Offline Jeannette

• Adult Cat
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2008, 18:31:07 PM »
Smudge had no problems using his tray when he came home from the vets minus a leg and his tail.  It's hard to believe, but he really did act as if nothing had happened.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2008, 18:18:00 PM »
me too, been thinking about Casper today and waiting news  :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2008, 18:16:11 PM »
I hope the op went really well for Casper and Desley will be able to tell you haow Pebbles got on with a tray.

Ducha goes to the tray normally for urinating but for solids he puts his front paws on the side of thetray so he can lift himself up.......I am always scared that he will tip the tray over but I guess with the weight of the litter and that its quite a large tray, its absolutely fine.

Also cats lose quite a lot of weight when they lose a leg and Ducha is about a kilo lighter than his brother.

I think the puppy pads would be a good idea to strat with.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2008, 13:28:31 PM »
Hope all goes well for Casper, sending love, purrs and headbutts your way
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
With that face, he didn't stay out of favour for long. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »
You're right Lesley, I suppose he may have got used to balancing a bit more than I would have thought, but I guess we don't know til he gets home. Mum was also worried about him toppling over onto the stitches but again, I think thats a wait and see thing really. Hopefully as he will have been at the vets another 24 hours after the op, we will know a bit more about how he is coping before we get him home.

Thank you so much for last night, it certainly helped keep my mind off things and I managed a fairly decent nights sleep apart from waking up halfway through the night. Did McLaren redeem himself after I left or is he still a traitor?

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 12:19:49 PM »
He maybe a bit more balanced that you imagine, don't forget the leg has been pretty useless since the accident so he is not using it at the moment anyway, although I assume it may have been heavily bandaged.  At any rate, he will be more comfortable without the leg than he has been with a damaged leg.  Just trying to make you feel less stressed :hug:

The puppy pads would definitely do no harm; I should have thought about it last night, I've got some in the cupboard.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
Thanks for all your kind thoughts, the latest update is that the vets can't keep him in past Friday afternoon so he will be home tomorrow. Part of me can't wait to see him and part of me is pretty scared about the sort of state he'll be in. Mum called me this morning with loads of worries she'd thought about, like how he will cope with going to the toilet. I suggested maybe buying a couple of puppy training pads to put at the bottom of the cage in case he has any accidents, but I don't know if that is the best thing to do. Its a back leg he is losing so I would imagine balance would be a bit of an issue for a little while.

On the fundraising side, I will hopefully be doing either a boot sale or table top sale (I had considered a craft stall but they tend to be very expensive to get a table at!) as well as going ahead with the sponsored tattoo idea (eeeek!) I will be having 3 pawprints to symbolise 3 legs and will hopefully start designing at the weekend, I am more than a little nervous about this, but I have always said I'd wait to have a tattoo until there was something that really meant something to me (easy way to wuss out of it until now!).

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »
me too, I've been there and know how you must be feeling, my thoughts are with you xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Just to let you know that I am thinking of Casper and you today, hope everything goes well, I am sure it will. Oh, and your new best friend McLaren (the traitor to his meowmy  :doh:) sends lots of headbutts too. :Luv2:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:47 AM »
I too would like to sponsor you.

Thinking of you, you Mum and Casper today  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline lucy3

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2008, 15:38:35 PM »
hi
i had two cats who had to have a leg amputated lewis had bone cancer a front leg and he managed fine after and the other ginger was in a road accident and broke a back leg badly they tried mending it but it actually made ginger more stressed and in pain was so upsetting and didnt heal and then we decided best to go with the amputation though we werent given that option originally wish had been but he was so much better after it was done happier in himself again once healed
just wanted you to know think right decision and they can cope well
he will be very unsteady on his legs when recovering and til he gets used to adjusting but once do they speed around cage a good idea for start then we kept ginger in smallest room with alot of visits for affection until properly healed stitches etc as they do try to do what they used to
its a bit odd but when the fur grows back you almost forget and i did get the tripod or look your cats legless like you!!!! comments cheek
be thinking of casper tomorrow and in recovery x

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2008, 15:06:49 PM »
I too would like to sponor you Hun xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2008, 14:16:26 PM »
Well, hopefully I can take your worries away a bit tonight from the big day tomorrow and we can drink a good luck toast to Casper - I'll get the wine in.

I am sure he will be fine with all the love and support of your family and everyone on here. :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 14:02:26 PM »
I hope everything goes well with the op, I'm sure Casper will be fine.

Do put up the link to your JustGiving page when you've done it, I'd like to sponsor you hun  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Thank you, I think tomorrow will be a very long day at work as I won't be able to concentrate on anything!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »
I will be thinking of you and Casper tomorrow - love, huggles and healing vibes.  :hug:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Sorry, just catching up with this thread.  Hope everything goes ok at Casper's op.  We have a 3 legged cat on our street and he gets about just fine - in fact, he terrorises all the other cats on the street.  Some of the neighbours have had to complain to his owners as he will chase other cats right into their cat flaps.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
Only just catching up with the thread, its been a bit manic at work and I had pizza shop work last night too - everyone there has said they will sponsor me too, so I will definitely be going ahead with one of my ideas.

Thanks so much Tan for offering money from Busters fund, I've been so touched by the support I've had from everyone on here! I am going to be starting up a justgiving page for my sponsorships to go into at the weekend, or I can give you the address and name of the vets if it would be better for you to send directly by cheque, just let me know which is better for you.

I'm having a look at the archie-cat site at the moment, its doubly interesting for me as I am in the process of setting up a wordpress blog to chart Caspers progress both for us and anyone else who has to go through the same thing. I'll also be updating with news, pics/vids when I get my sponsorship stuff going!

Getting a bit nervous now about his op day today, the vet said that as he was quite settled at the vets, he advised that we shouldn't go in and see him til after the op as he may think he was going home and get stressed, its hard to stay away but I could see where he was coming from.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 21:55:45 PM »
I dont think at his age Casper will have any problem cos Ducha must have been over 10 when a bit like Archie , apparently he came back with his leg just hanging. Was the same leg that Archie lost but before he came to me.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 21:34:35 PM »
Good luck for Thurs - Pebbles ended up coming home from the vets a day early cos she was such a good patient - ironic to say she bit the vet before she did the op just for being stroked!! There was a cat either on here or CC that had an amputation done on a 19yo, so am sure a 3.5yo will be fine - my vet was hesitant with PEbbles due to her age, but she did really well, one of hte neighbours pointed out her limp to me, I had to point it that it wasn't a limp, it was the fact she only had 3 legs - he hadn't noticed!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 20:53:24 PM »
I have just seen the following thread on CatChat and thought it might be of interest to you:

Hello, my name is Archie and I had a real bad accident about 4 months ago and I lost a leg.

You can read my story here --> http://www.archiecat.co.uk

I'd just like to help other people who are going through the mental pain of leg amputation...

Thanks, Archie...

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/113616.html?1225216806
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 20:21:40 PM »
Hi Hun

Just caught up too. I hope everything goes well for Thursday and i also think you and ya mum have made the best decision for him. There is two 3 legged babes in my neighbourhood and they both get round very well and look happy.  :)  It's awful shock when this happens so suddenly , so upsetting and with the added scare of finding the money, my love and thoughts are with you all.  :hug:

Hun would def be happy to sponsor you in any sponsor you do. Also like to put £50 towards the vet fees from the Buster Fund. I am sure Buster would love to help Casper.
Can ya let me know hows best to get the money to your vets.

Love to you, your mum and Casper, will be thinking of you all on Thurs  :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 19:17:50 PM »
Hi ya hun,

Only just caught up with this ... sorry to hear about Caspar.  I'm sure he will be zipping about again in no time at all.

:hug: to you all.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 17:09:32 PM »
I've got a beautiful tabby with 3 legs, he's called Tripod and gets around just fine.  He was a semi feral when I had to have his leg removed and was worried about how he'd cope, he is now a total cuddle bum and spends a lot of his time snuggled up to me when I'm in bed.  I hope the op goes well but there aren't usually any problems, cats cope extremely well with amputations and I'm sure he'll be running round in no time  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 16:06:05 PM »
I was watching a vid of a 3 legged cat running on youtube last night, was surprised by how quickly it could move. I'm hoping as he is a young cat (3 1/2) that he will learn to cope pretty well.

Spoke to my tattooist friend yesterday and he said that he can sort something out so it wouldn't cost anything if I went ahead with that idea! I've been building a wordpress site to track Caspers progress and for me to put thanks out for those for have helped out, especially Lesley for lending the cage!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 15:38:07 PM »
Three legged cats adapt very well in fact our neighbour noticed Maverick limping and was concerned - did point out he wasn't limping as he is missing one of his back legs - She was surprised as he can go very quick up a tree and is a prolific hunter he is also my baby mav!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 07:35:38 AM »
Hope Casper gets well soon.

We have a three legged cat in the area and he gets around fine (if a bit odd looking) and enjoys sunning himself on our driveway.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2008, 22:19:17 PM »
Lol at Tripod, mum always used to call him Dyson because he'll hoover up anything, but that will have to be more carefully regulated from now on!

I'm picking up the cage kindly leant by Lesley on wednesday and washing the covers of the girls heated cat bed tomorrow so that Casper can borrow it and it won't smell of them. Mum rang again tonight and was very relieved that everyone on here feels the same as we do, there is an awful sense of guilt that even though we know we are doing the best for him, theres no reason to explain why one of his legs will have disappeared.

The op is scheduled for Thursday morning and we'll have him home on Saturday morning which is good really as I can help mum set up the cage and get him settled. Thank you for all your kind words, this has been more than a shock for all of us and it means a lot to have you all here to talk to.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 21:23:34 PM »
cats cope amazingly well on three legs. Bob was limping for at least a day before I realised it - and his hind leg was dragging and useless due to a severed tendon. I think the amputation will be the lest traumatic option for Casper as well as for your mum and the recovery time is pretty well instantaneous. You will need a cage to keep him from leaping onto windowsills! Sorry he has had a rotten experience, but I really do think that amputation is the best option. The other procedure is fraught with potential complications and will also subject him to a prolonged recovery time. We know we are doing it in the cat's best interests, but they don't always see it that way. So short sharp and effective is always the best option in my opinion.

and you can change his name to Tripod!!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2008, 21:14:09 PM »
We have a three legged hooligan and it never slows him down he is now 6 and a tabby hooligan

We also have Puma who is now 4 and we did the surgery option when he was 13 months old and yes it is expensive but we were lucky in the fact he was hand reared and could do the time he spent 5 months in a kitten pen lined with perspex so the fixator wouldn't catch - he has a slight limp but is bounding around

We also have a feral Sabrina who is 6 and has a permanant limp as she didn't do the cage time as she unlocked the cage and removed her cast and was on top of the wardrobe within 12 hours of sugery and was as nasty as hell but now limps and will always do so at our choice as she can't do cage time and is horrendous

I hope Casper recovers and I'm sure he will have you and your Mum wrapped round his 3 good legs and use it to his advantage at every turn

Good luck with the surgery and aftercare :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2008, 20:15:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this is worse than you'd originally thought, but like everyone else I'm relieved that the vet doesn't think it was deliberate.  That is a horrible thought.

A friend of mine has a cat with 3 legs.  He is an indoor/outdoor cat and gets around just fine on 3 legs.  It certainly sounds like that will be the best option for him.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2008, 16:08:47 PM »
The money is an entirely separate issue, if we thought the operation would be best, we'd do it in a snap, but I do think the amputation is the best option so that is what we have chosen.

The money thing is my own guilt because Casper is technically mine, even though mum decided to keep him when I moved out and I should have made sure she had insurance. Therefore I feel that I should be contributing and this is the reason that I want to do some fund raising so I can give mum some money towards his treatment.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 15:57:10 PM »
Poor Casper and  :hug: :hug: to you and your Mum.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 15:46:38 PM »
I agree. If the vet said with surgery, there is a very good chance of complete or almost complete recovery, it might be a different story - As CS said, if the money didn't come into it, what is best for Casper? - I would have to say amputation. They don't have the hangups like humans.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 15:41:21 PM »
So sorry to hear about poor Casper! It certainly sounds like amputation is the best way forwar for him - as Gills Franta is evidence of they can manage quite well with a missing limb! :hug:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 15:16:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about Casper's plight. It might help if you're feeling guilty about opting for amputation to take the cost out of the equation when thinking about it. It's easy (like I frequently did with my crf cat) to feel like you're just taking the cheap option and it can leave you feeling pretty poop but if you ask yourself what you'd do if they were the same cost and you come to the same desicion then I think it's the right one.

Not forgetting all you three-leggers out there our wonderful Rosina who lives at South Normanton Cat Rescue. Heavily pregnant and thrown down a mine to die she was rescued by a miner and brought in to Pauline's care. Ten years on, she was a great mum to her kittens and now bounds around happily on TWO LEGS!

Ok she does live in a modified cage but she is very happy and perfectly healthy.

Best wishes Casper for a speedy recovery  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 13:35:36 PM »
Thats a cool idea, I expect theres plenty of stuff in our flat that could go to a car boot!

I do a bit of mountain biking so I was considering a sponsored bike ride with my OH and the other idea I had was a sponsored tattoo, I have talked a lot about wanting one that means something but avoiding actually getting it done as I am terrified of needles. A friend of mine is a tattoo artist and I thought maybe if I raised some money by doing it, then it would give me a really good reason to be brave and do it, and had thought of having 3 pawprints tattooed to symbolise 3 legs.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 13:33:20 PM »
I hope the money raising goes well and casper recovers soon
 :hug:
love
Tab

Link to CatChat