Author Topic: Drinking too much. The end?  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Drinking too much. The end?
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
You need to get bloods done, it doesn't mean it is the end, and cats can live quite a while with CRF, but it is upsetting when something like this happens and you realise they are not as immortal as we think - when Molly had a bad do with arthritis last month it hit me that she is nearly 16 and not quite as fit as I thought.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:06:07 AM »
same here, our Schui was recently diagnosed with renal failure and he was really poorly, 2mths on and he's really picked up it's hard to believe so try not to worry and do get Samantha sorted xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »
Hope the vet can sort samantha out  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »
did you get Samantha's bloods done ??
that will definately let you know if there's something wrong  :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 00:47:44 AM »
Yes, go to the vet and if its kidney problems it can be sorted with fortekor - My Smartie is on this for his heart and has been for over 6 months now , so hopefully he won't have any kidney issues either.
I know what you mean and so do most on here - i live on my own and my cats are my life - last time i lost one 10 years ago - i swore i would never have another one, i was so devastated - here i am now with 5 again !! Sophie nearly 15 and fairly fit, Smartie 11 , Winston 10, FiFi and Bungly both 8 .
Best to go to the vet and get it sorted .

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 00:13:37 AM »
Fortekor is a wonderful drug and stabilises most cats. Clapton although not old (9) has been on it for 2 years and doing really well. I think it is too early to tart thinking the worst  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Drinking too much. The end?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 00:10:55 AM »
Recently Samantha's been drinking masses of water and has had a few bouts of cystitis. When she had her last bout, the vet mentioned running blood tests for kidney function if the antibiotics didn't help. She seemed to recover.

However, she's slowly losing weight and seems grumpy. She's just peed on the bed, which she never does, except when she has cystitis (she's had this now and then all her life).

I know I should make an appointment with the vet, but I'm scared. I fear the end may be drawing close for her. Losing a cat really hits me hard; I spend a lot of time with them, they're like children who don't grow up. A friend of mine recently lost an old dog she loved very much, but coped admirably. I'll be in pieces. I know the vet will do tests, and I know the results will be bad.

She's an old cat and I think I've started to believe that Polly and Samantha are immortal. None of my previous cats have lived so long.

I know that peeps on here will understand, friends either think I'm barmy, or are too close to the subject (ie the woman whose dog has died) to talk to.

Sorry to post yet again.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Link to CatChat