Author Topic: Rabbits and cat fleas  (Read 1687 times)

ccmacey

Re: Rabbits and cat fleas
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »
Yes I only asked about the frontline for rabbits as it the best on the market, I wouldnt put cat frontline on him.  He has been on his own so I dont think he could have rabbit fleas, cat fleas maybe.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 18:48:33 PM »
Yep - definitely agree with Sam, and worth reiterating for everyone - never use frontline on rabbits, it can kill them!  I've had rabbits with cat fleas in the past, it's fairly obvious to tell, in much the same way as it is for a cat.  As with cats, it's really important to treat early even if they are outside, as being smaller (usually!) they can get seriously anaemic very quickly.  Rabbits can also get rabbit fleas, but these tend to accumulate in  groups at the base of the ear, rather than running around like cat fleas do. 

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 16:24:03 PM »
Thanks Sam.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
Fleas

Rabbits may require a flea treatment programme depending on their habits. If your rabbit is a house pet and has the odd venture into the garden then it would be necessary to go onto a flea control plan. Normal flea control medicines made for cats and dogs such as Frontline® should NOT be used on rabbits as it can have harmful effects. For Rabbits we recommend Advantage® as a suitable flea prevention treatment.
It is important to regularly check your rabbit for any signs of fleas or ticks. Regular grooming with a flea brush will also reduce the risk of a flea infestation.

http://www.bestfriendsgroup.com/rabbits.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ccmacey

Rabbits and cat fleas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
Hi all was just wondering as i found a flea on my cat yesterday I just wanted to know can rabbits get them from cats? And if so what flea treatment do you get for them, the rabbit that is. Do they do frontline for rabbits?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:08:51 PM by ccmacey »

Link to CatChat