Author Topic: Cat owners advised to keep cats inside re: bird flu  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat owners advised to keep cats inside re: bird flu
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 22:10:19 PM »
I also not worried at moment and not likely to be popping over to the wetlands at moment cos of the snow coming !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 16:10:43 PM »
Well, then I will indeed worry

I am not too worried just now.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 14:30:40 PM »
In winter, some robins  migrate from Europe to the UK.  Also I know Blackbirds do so I expect some of the others do too

Amazing little blighters, aren't they?  ;D  Well, then I will indeed worry  :scared:, but only if there is an outbreak of the lethal strain at the London Wetlands Centre. I'll definitely pop across at the weekend and speak to one of the experts there.

You're right, I did word my comment sloppily.

I have an Honours degree in that

:rofl: me too!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:13:13 AM »
In winter, some robins  migrate from Europe to the UK.  Also I know Blackbirds do so I expect some of the others do too

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »
You're right, I did word my comment sloppily.

I have an Honours degree in that

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
there are many very small birds that  fly far greater distances.

You're right, I did word my comment sloppily. We live in an urban area with a high density of housing and only a few birds come near our garden - one or two bluetits, robins, wrens and blackbirds mainly. I had thought that in such areas, these birds had smaller territories but I would like to be corrected if I am wrong...

Any ornithologists out there?!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
smaller birds wouldn't fly that far, so I shan't worry at this stage

Possibly me being thick and misunderstand the quote but  even the tiny Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris), weighing only about as much as an old penny, (those who were born in the late 60's early 70 may understand). makes a  620 mile Spring flight in 24 hours,, not in this country I know but there are many very small birds that  fly far greater distances.

I have to say though at this stage I am not too worried, and even less than that because my cats are all indoor cats. Even less when I read:-Certain birds, particularly water birds, are thought to act as hosts by carrying the virus in their intestines and shedding it in saliva, nasal secretions and faeces. However, the viruses circulating in wild birds are generally not the highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) strains that cause deadly bird flu. They do not cause illness in the birds  and are referred to as low pathogenic avian influenza (LPAI) viruses.

During the last scare Cats protection advice was:-

Briefing from Beth Skillings BVSc MRCVS, Head of Veterinary Services at Cats Protection, regarding Avian Influenza ('bird flu'):
Leading UK feline welfare charity, Cats Protection, is today urging pet owners not to panic about their pets' health, or their own health, following the death of a swan from a strain of H5 avian influenza in Scotland.
Beth Skillings, Head of Veterinary Services for the charity, agrees with both leading health protection professionals, Defra and the British Veterinary Association, that the risk to cats from the H5N1 virus is small. The risk of transmission from cats to people is even lower.
"We urge pet owners to be sensible and keep things in perspective. There is no need for owners to rehome their cats, or have them euthanased, because of fears of infection with bird 'flu. However, owners should consider keeping their cats indoors if living within a 3km radius of an outbreak, as recommended by Defra," she said.
There have been no recorded cases of cat to human infection from the virus. 'Cat 'flu' is a different condition caused by completely unrelated organisms.
The charity suggests that concerned owners could try and keep their cats away from wild waterfowl and poultry and, in line with Defra guidelines, safely dispose of any wild birds and poultry carcasses that their cat presents in double sealed bags in household rubbish outside using disposable rubber gloves. We recommend that raw poultry should not be fed to cats, not only because of avian flu, but because of the risk of salmonella and other infections. Owners should also discourage their cats from eating dead wild birds.
Owners of cats that hunt could also keep their pets in at dawn and dusk to lessen predatory activity. Normal hygiene practices should be observed when handling cat or bird faeces.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 00:48:31 AM »
We have a Wetlands Centre just outside Llanelli and I am a member there, so will have to pop in too. We dont get ducks and stuff here but there are loads of farms with with free-range chickens. We get swallows and I guess other migratory birds but its too early for them yet.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 15:40:20 PM »
How do we know if we live in a Wetland area?

The feature referred to places like the London Wetland Centre, which is rather near us :( - but we don't get ducks or geese in our vicinity and smaller birds wouldn't fly that far, so I shan't worry at this stage. We're members there - I'll pop along at the weekend and ask what the WWT advice is.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 15:25:40 PM »
How do we know if we live in a Wetland area?

I looked it up and it say something along the lines of a mini eco-system where diverse wildlife lives (or something, or nothing  :Crazy: )

There are some wildlife parks near here but a few miles up the road. I'm guessing it means places like Poole in Dorset that have snakes and all kinds or tropical birds around?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Cat owners advised to keep cats inside re: bird flu
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 14:48:50 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted but just fyi:
http://217.204.41.132/cgi/NGoto/2/186391490?7001

It does say only cat owners near wetland areas need to worry though!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Link to CatChat