Author Topic: How on earth do you discipline a cat?  (Read 15498 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: How on earth do you discipline a cat?
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 18:18:07 PM »
He is partially deaf but does react to NOOOOOOOO Napoleon, which was his old name. Noit that this stops him for long. He has become obssive about being a permanent lap cat and my food. He will bite when he gets ignored and nipped my leg in the kitchen while iwas trying to make my dinner.

Gla to hear its not only my Birmans that had a taste for human flesh - Beavis nips an bare feet an as for Oscar......................well lets just say you REALLY had to shut the loo door when you went as he would nip anything overhanging the toilet seat! :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 18:14:09 PM »
He hasnt been with me very long........about 2 and half years I think.

He has only started doing this in last 2-3 months .........sigh

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 15:18:58 PM »
I have naughty kitten Franta at 15yrs old......sigh

He is partially deaf but does react to NOOOOOOOO Napoleon, which was his old name. Noit that this stops him for long. He has become obssive about being a permanent lap cat and my food. He will bite when he gets ignored and nipped my leg in the kitchen while iwas trying to make my dinner.

he thinks he comes first above everything else and will howl at me for attention.

I think that your cat may also be trying to make sure that you notice him more that that intruder on his patch, cos think thats part of it with Franta cos he wants more attention than Misa.....Franta was the intruder LOL

I'm glad to hear it's not just me then Gill, but depressed that it may go on for 15 years  :-: :-: :-:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 15:17:34 PM »
I think the key is in saying 1 word in a tone which you don't normally use, whatever that word be.

I could think of a few choice words that I wouldn't say on here....lol

I think sometimes I do lose it too much as the other night I just started shouting and screaming. It's not like me at all, but he's been pushing me to the edge. I'm sure the men in white jackets will be after me soon.   :shify:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 15:15:10 PM »
Helen thats really interesting as my Hubby makes a funny noise at the boys and they listen to him and behave but don't with me, Hubby says I am a soft touch!

Lynds the lemon didn't work for us, we must have the only cat who is interested in lemon, we also tried squirting Milo with water and he enjoyed that too!

lol....knowing my luck, Nobo will love lemons.

I've got a water gun next to my bed and I use this as a deterrent. It's got to the stage where he just sits and takes the squirting!!!

Perhaps I should go and buy a big Rottweiler  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 15:12:04 PM »
Riley is a bit of a tearaway at times too  :tired:  He doesn't play aggresively but he's just into absolutely everything whether it concerns him or not  :evillaugh: 

Rather than tell him 'No' I now use a different word or rather sound in my case.  No can be overused, how many times a day do you find yourself telling him 'No, don't do that' 'No, get of that' 'No biting'?  Instead of saying No I make a sound which is like the sound you'd make to try and stop someone doing something - hard to describe but sort of 'uh, uh, uh'.  This is really effective and he immediately knows he's done/doing/is about to do something wrong and he even makes the same 'uh uh uh' cackling noise back to me while looking at me sheepishly!

Also Nobo is still a baby really so is testing the boundaries, Riley is 20 months now and his beahviour is better than it used to be.  I also used the supernanny method on him when it came to bedtime but I guess it could be used in any situation.  He used to pester me and poke me constantly during the night so I would literally sit up, pick him up without engaging with him, say No firmly and place him at the bottom of the bed.  I must have done this 80 odd times the first night and only a few less the next night but he got the message in the end and now he doesn't pester me at all, just snuggles down under the cover for a bed time cuddle before going to sleep.  I guess this could be adapted to any situation, ie remove him from the situation without creating a fuss and repeat this as many times as it takes for him to get the hint.

Incidentally I do have two cats, Riley's brother Lu is obviously the same age and is an absolute angel and quite honestly never does anything naughty.  They were bought up in exactly the same way and receive the same amount of love and attention so it just goes to show that it's not learnt behaviour just that they are naturally naughty  :naughty:

I've tried Ah ah ah, No and even the hissss noise as I've heard that can work. Perhaps I need to stick to one!

Funnily enough he's stopped waking me up in the middle of the night, which he used to do all the time. I just ignored him or when it was really bad, I'd pick him up, saying nothing and just plop him outside the bedroom and shut the door.

I find it strange that he's just started acting this way. He wasn't too bad before I let him go outdoors. I thought being outdoors was meant to be good for them lol. I'm telling you, he's got in with a bad crowd. lol

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 15:01:37 PM »
I have naughty kitten Franta at 15yrs old......sigh

he thinks he comes first above everything else and will howl at me for attention.

I think that your cat may also be trying to make sure that you notice him more that that intruder on his patch, cos think thats part of it with Franta cos he wants more attention than Misa.....Franta was the intruder LOL

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
I think the key is in saying 1 word in a tone which you don't normally use, whatever that word be.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 11:41:16 AM »
I wouldn't say no don't do that, no get out of there, just a loud no! no other words then the cat will learn to associate the loud word with the behaviour.

Yep, I agree - I only ever used to say 'No' firmly on it's own without the 'stop it' 'get down' added on but he just seems to respond so much better to the 'uh uh uh' noise. 

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
Riley is a bit of a tearaway at times too  :tired:  He doesn't play aggresively but he's just into absolutely everything whether it concerns him or not  :evillaugh: 

Rather than tell him 'No' I now use a different word or rather sound in my case.  No can be overused, how many times a day do you find yourself telling him 'No, don't do that' 'No, get of that' 'No biting'?  Instead of saying No I make a sound which is like the sound you'd make to try and stop someone doing something - hard to describe but sort of 'uh, uh, uh'.  This is really effective and he immediately knows he's done/doing/is about to do something wrong and he even makes the same 'uh uh uh' cackling noise back to me while looking at me sheepishly!

Also Nobo is still a baby really so is testing the boundaries, Riley is 20 months now and his beahviour is better than it used to be.  I also used the supernanny method on him when it came to bedtime but I guess it could be used in any situation.  He used to pester me and poke me constantly during the night so I would literally sit up, pick him up without engaging with him, say No firmly and place him at the bottom of the bed.  I must have done this 80 odd times the first night and only a few less the next night but he got the message in the end and now he doesn't pester me at all, just snuggles down under the cover for a bed time cuddle before going to sleep.  I guess this could be adapted to any situation, ie remove him from the situation without creating a fuss and repeat this as many times as it takes for him to get the hint.

Incidentally I do have two cats, Riley's brother Lu is obviously the same age and is an absolute angel and quite honestly never does anything naughty.  They were bought up in exactly the same way and receive the same amount of love and attention so it just goes to show that it's not learnt behaviour just that they are naturally naughty  :naughty:

I wouldn't say no don't do that, no get out of there, just a loud NO! which is a sound which is a deterrent,  said in a way to stop someone doing something - and no other words,  then the cat will learn to associate the loud word with the behaviour, all my cats understand that no means NO, apart from dear old Schui who is deaf!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:42:01 AM by janeyk »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 11:34:58 AM »
I thought it was the cats that disciplined us? :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
we also tried squirting Milo with water and he enjoyed that too!

Oh yes, I tried that too, he loved it!  I ended up with water drippring of the ceiling (he was up on a really high shelf in the kitchen) and Riley sat up there, looking a bit soggy, almost grinning at me  :innocent:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Helen thats really interesting as my Hubby makes a funny noise at the boys and they listen to him and behave but don't with me, Hubby says I am a soft touch!

Lynds the lemon didn't work for us, we must have the only cat who is interested in lemon, we also tried squirting Milo with water and he enjoyed that too!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
Helen, thats adorable that he makes the noise back at you!  :Luv2:

Doc sounds like the tearaway described. I will post more on my lunch with the details but he is dog like. I wonder if he was supposed to be called "Dog" and not "Doc" at the rescue!  :evillaugh:

Ours know the word "Out!" means get out of the cupboard, box, bag etc they are in but other than that they pretty much ignore me. Maybe I need to use different words for different things!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:01:01 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »
I wouldn't give him love when he's naughty or attention (that's for other times) just no! our Penny was a nuisance for the bin but I said a firm no and she stopped but she still tried it on.   Like I said I'd just ignore naughty behaviour and be consistent, if you're doing all that it sounds like you're doing the right things to me but may just take time, he's still a young cat and I'm sure he'll settle down. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:50:51 AM by janeyk »

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
Milo can be like this!!! (his not a bully though)

When he wants attention he gets behind our telly and chews the cables, and scratches the bottom of the sofa. One day after being at my wits end I shut him in the hallway and kitchen, (like a naughty step I suppose) for 10 minutes!

In that 10 minutes he managed to knock the water bowls over, get in the utility cupboard and pull over the toilet rolls and kitchen rolls. He also knocked a couple of forks off the work surface in the kitchen, needless to say I've not bothered doing this since.

With Milo now after dinner I give him cuddles and a fuss and try to play with him for 5/10 minutes before I wash up and have a bath and settle down for the evening, this has lessened the cable chewing. Once I'm done we sit on the sofa and have cuddles with Jess and Hubby.

I think Milo was attention seeking. At dinner time he would often get on the table and try to steal food, we put this down to being a stray, over time he has learnt to sit nicely at the table and now the 4 of us dine together  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: without the cats climbing at the table they sit patiently and wait for some mash potato or chicken.

Leanne - I think Milo is related to Nobo lol...It's spooky. He's now taken to trying to tip the plasma over. I don't have it flush against the wall as I'm renting this property and moving into my own home in a few weeks. So the plasma is on a stand. He jumps up the back and tries to push it over. He'll also try and chew the cables and generally be a little sh*t around areas he shouldn't be in. When I move, I'm going to put lemon or something in these areas as I've heard this puts cats off, but that still doesn't sort the Antichrist behaviour.

I've tried shutting him out when he's like this so I can eat in peace or just get some peace! He throws himself into the door, or does what Milo does and runs riot all over the areas he can get access to.

I really appreciate everyone's input/comments/suggestions as I'm open to trying anything!

Lynds

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
Indeed. There's a difference between giving lots of love and rewarding behaviour you want to change. So still show him lots of love, but when he does things you need to change, do as Janey says. Ignore him. No matter what he does, ignore him, don't give in to him, don't talk to him, just let him know that when he does that he's not going to get a response.

Sounds to me like's he's just a little monkey and will try it on no matter what.  :evillaugh:

I certainly don't give him love or any rewards when he's naughty but perhaps I'll try ignoring him. He's very dog like sometimes in that perhaps any attention (good or bad) is attention he craves. I'll try ignoring him. When I catch him in the bin I really lose the rag, so should I just lift him out and ignore him, or still do the whole NO etc? My gut instinct still says a firm NO for that kind of behaviour and ignoring the other stuff.

Lynds

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »
Another thing I would give him lots of toys to play with to keep him occupied, he sounds a lively little soul  ;D but what I would do when you play with him is if he starts playing aggressively I'd ignore that behaviour, even leave the room.

He's got more toys than he can play with. We even give him 2 x 30 mins bursts of Da Bird every day as this really tires him out and he loves it. We only stop after 30 mins as he starts to pant loudly and needs to rest.

I really appreciate your suggestions but honestly the toy and love situation is definitely sorted. I don't know what else to try.

:doh:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »
Milo can be like this!!! (his not a bully though)

When he wants attention he gets behind our telly and chews the cables, and scratches the bottom of the sofa. One day after being at my wits end I shut him in the hallway and kitchen, (like a naughty step I suppose) for 10 minutes!

In that 10 minutes he managed to knock the water bowls over, get in the utility cupboard and pull over the toilet rolls and kitchen rolls. He also knocked a couple of forks off the work surface in the kitchen, needless to say I've not bothered doing this since.

With Milo now after dinner I give him cuddles and a fuss and try to play with him for 5/10 minutes before I wash up and have a bath and settle down for the evening, this has lessened the cable chewing. Once I'm done we sit on the sofa and have cuddles with Jess and Hubby.

I think Milo was attention seeking. At dinner time he would often get on the table and try to steal food, we put this down to being a stray, over time he has learnt to sit nicely at the table and now the 4 of us dine together  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: without the cats climbing at the table they sit patiently and wait for some mash potato or chicken.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »
Indeed. There's a difference between giving lots of love and rewarding behaviour you want to change. So still show him lots of love, but when he does things you need to change, do as Janey says. Ignore him. No matter what he does, ignore him, don't give in to him, don't talk to him, just let him know that when he does that he's not going to get a response.

Sounds to me like's he's just a little monkey and will try it on no matter what.  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
Another thing I would give him lots of toys to play with to keep him occupied, he sounds a lively little soul  ;D but what I would do when you play with him is if he starts playing aggressively I'd ignore that behaviour, even leave the room.

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
He sounds to be wanting attention to me, lots of love and just a firm no! (only) is what I do with mine. 

I thought the same Janey but since the bullying started, I've doubled the love I give to him (if that's even possible). I've been doing the firm no etc and he seems to get worse when I do this. I make sure we have time alone so he knows he's still my main man etc.

Ahhh I dunno...  :tired:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
how old is he, he might just reached maturity

I'm not 100% sure as he's a rescue cat, but the vet estimated his age at 10 months. So he'll be turning one at the end of October.

Lynds

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
He sounds to be wanting attention to me, lots of love and just a firm no! (only) is what I do with mine. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:36:55 AM by janeyk »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:46 AM »
how old is he, he might just reached maturity

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »
:naughty: without making light of it... answer to your question... you don't :evillaugh:

Arghhhhh  lol

I know they are independent, but why the sudden change?

Jeez.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »
:naughty: without making light of it... answer to your question... you don't :evillaugh:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
How on earth do you discipline a cat?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »
I have two beautiful moggies, Nobo and Izzy. For those who don't know, Nobo has been bullying Izzy and I've received some great advice from some on you how to try and fix it. I move house in a few weeks so I will be trying the separation when I move as it seems silly to start now, only to move in 4 weeks and start again.

Anyway, Nobo is turning into such a horrid little cat, although I do adore him. He has learned to open my Brabantia bin now and jumps in for food. I can assure you he's well fed. He's playing aggressively with me and my OH. He seems to do things just to spite me. He screams to get out then screams to get in. He crawls all over us to eat our food while we eat. We shut him out so we can eat in peace and he starts to throw himself against the door to try and open it - I kid you not.

I was joking with my friends the other day saying that since he become an outdoor cat, he's become rather mean...maybe he's fallen in with a bad crowd  :rofl:  :rofl:

Now I know I can't reason with a cat, but does anyone have any tips? I used to regularly dog sit for my good friend and dogs are rather easy to train.

If only there was a naughty step for cats.   >:(

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:24:24 AM by Lynds »

Link to CatChat