Author Topic: Some more advice please ... !!!  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Linda D

• Adult Cat
Re: Some more advice please ... !!!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 16:23:06 PM »
If my cat had only just started to bring his trophies in the house to me I'd be incredibly flattered.  They're proud of themselves and sharing and I would interpret that as them displaying that they've bonded with me.

The only trophy my dear departed fierce hunterTeddy Johnson ever brought home to me were leaves and he was immensely proud of them and got all offended if I checked them out, the daft thing

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 13:13:23 PM »
How did that mouse get up on the tablet  :rofl:

funny enough it looks like the dead one i found in the lounge this morning  :evillaugh:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
Over the last year I've had frogs, mice, birds, and some kind of snake bought into the house. More often than not I manage to catch them before the final kill happens and set them free, unfortunately not the case for the snake who arrived with his head hanging off, but he was still wriggling about. Only last week they bought in another mouse :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
I dont want to take him back to the rescue sanctuary that we got him from so ive come up with 2 options...
1) make him an indoor only cat ( keep him in at night with a litter tray ) but willl that upset him??
2)  Make him an area in the shed with a catflap attached ( its all insulated) and at night he will have to sleep in their...
I dont know what to do..!
I know its a gift for me but i cant stand mice !!!
Help please......!!!! :'(

I dont think any of the options are right really -
IMO its just something you will have to put up with, its what cats do  :hug:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 21:01:45 PM »
I know its horrible but unfortunately that is nature and its what they do, they hunt.  They think they're being really nice to you and bringing you some supper to share too. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 19:11:55 PM »
Keeping him in at night would benefit him aswell as the mice, wouldnt say its cruel to adjust his routine to one that keeps him safer  :shy:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 19:45:35 PM »
As everyone has said as gross as it is it is something you will have to get used to, he is only doing what comes naturally.  My Charlie is hunting a lot at the moment and I detest it but I love him so I accept that it is part of his nature.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 19:28:23 PM »
Hi Besty

It's not very nice is it hun but something that is built in to the natural instinct of a cat same as say breathing to us. They will hunt whether they are hungry or full and they are most active as Dawn says at Dusk and Dawn  (lol) cause thats when their natural prey is most active.  

Although playing hunting games with toys with him can't stop his hunting instint of live prey, it may help a little to minimise the hunting urges when he is out.
After playing with a toy which he hunts, give him a treat as this will complete the hunt and catch instint.  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 19:29:43 PM by Tan »

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 19:10:54 PM »
Ok thanks everyone for the advice.
Will just try and get 'used' to him bringing them in !!  just seems strange that after a year hes started hunting ! :Crazy:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 18:57:17 PM »
cant really offer any advice (I hate it when they kill) But Tis the nature of the Beast I'm afraid  :shy:

:hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 18:31:58 PM »
Neither of those options will be fair on him and as someone else said, thats just what cats do. its part of being a cat and if you have mice around most cats will go and hunt them for you.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 15:22:14 PM »
I think im going to have a breakdown !!!  Thomas brought in a live mouse last night , he dropped it on the floor it ran into a corner and then died..

1) make him an indoor only cat ( keep him in at night with a litter tray ) but willl that upset him??
2)  Make him an area in the shed with a catflap attached ( its all insulated) and at night he will have to sleep in their...

It would be unfair to make him an indoor cat after allowing outside access, he would become frustrated and you might end up with worse problems than bringing live prey into the house - such as spraying! You could try getting him into a routine of staying in overnight, but again if he's been used to 24/7 access you might have problems.

There's no guarantees if you give him access to the shed that he will take his prey there either, unless you are planning to lock the catflap to the house, which again isnt fair if he's used to coming and going as he pleases - anyway he'd probably be headbutting it all night and keep you awake!

Hopefully as the winter sets in he won't be so interested in going out at night, and then you can perhaps work on a routine to keep him in overnight at least.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 14:52:25 PM »
that's just what cats do to be honest

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 14:49:41 PM »
cats tend to hunt at dusk and dawn you could keep him in then but there are no guarantees
Yes I believe so ! But i cant cope with him bringing things back !
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 14:44:08 PM »
cats tend to hunt at dusk and dawn you could keep him in then but there are no guarantees

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Some more advice please ... !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 14:30:03 PM »
I think im going to have a breakdown !!!  Thomas brought in a live mouse last night , he dropped it on the floor it ran into a corner and then died..
It was awful, and just seeing Thomas coming in the house with the mouse in his mouth was awful, how do I cope with this ???
I dont want to take him back to the rescue sanctuary that we got him from so ive come up with 2 options...
I dont know what to do..!
I know its a gift for me but i cant stand mice !!!
Help please......!!!! :'(
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat