Author Topic: Newbie - Please help FLEAS ON A YOUNG KITTEN  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Newbie - Please help FLEAS ON A YOUNG KITTEN
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 00:01:19 AM »
Great  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 21:37:01 PM »
Excellent news  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
  • Slave to: Pandora & Possum
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 19:06:40 PM »
Hey,

Just to let you know that Nala is flea free and back on the mend. She has also been wormed! So glad she is feeling better1 I was so worried

Tahnks for all of your help xx :thanks:
Mummy to:
2 Cats: Pandora (1 year) & Possum (8 weeks)
1 Bunny - Bumble (7 years)

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
Ah, did wonder what the proper reason was - she could still worm her without going to a vet though, although not something I would recommend as you might get the dosage wrong.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 22:20:52 PM »
Legally Des to prescribe a POM item the animal has to be under the vets care which means they must have seen the animal within the last 6 months, or less than that for some drugs.

Hopefully Nalas guests have all vacated by now  ;D When spraying your house you need to do all the rooms even those without carpets and make sure you go round the skirting wheres theres gaps for eggs  :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 21:05:25 PM »
I would do the latter cos it stops them being scared of sprays for the rest of there lives.

Misa only has to see me pick up any kind of can, drink even, and he runs for his life.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
POM is Prescription Only Medication - normal Frontline Spot on is no longer a POM, so can be bought online, but the spray needs to be either from a vet or a prescription written. The reason they need to see Nala is to make sure that the fleas haven't caused her to become anaemic, and she will also need worming, which can't be done unless they weigh her. The spray can be tricky to use, as you need to spray the majority of the kitten, or spray it into your hands and rub it into their fur.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
The spray is still a POM, but a PAH vet should be able to spray the kitten.

What does POM mean?I called our vets and have arranged to pick up a house spray and frontline spray. They wanted to see NALA but had no appointments and told me I had to go in during the day on Tue. I explained that I work full time and wanted to sort this ASAP. We are regulars at the vets as Murphy had intersusception so they know us very well and have agreed to sell it to us over the counter.

Any advice on application? xx
Mummy to:

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »
The spray is still a POM, but a PAH vet should be able to spray the kitten.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
Got a feeling the Frontline spray is still POM

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 00:19:56 AM »
witty is right about using the spray and not the spot on for a kitten that young.........pets at home vets sound like a good idea if they work on a sunday.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 21:21:26 PM »
Again, I have to agree with Helen and Michelle.

Comb her over with a fine pitch comb (preferably metal if you have one) and drown the fleas in a tub of warm water that's got a squeeze of washing up liquid in it. Pay special attention to the back where it meets the tail, the armpits and the groin area. Then take her to the vets tomorrow to get some proper flea stuff - in a young kitten, a bad infestation of fleas can be dangerous if not fatal.

For a really young kitten I believe you'll need the Frontline spray as the spot-on doses are for kittens and cats above a certain weight. Either way, check with your vet. If she has fleas, likely she will also have worms because fleas are carriers of worm larvae, so get her wormed at the same time.

Cheap flea stuff for cats is a waste of money because it only repels fleas, it doesn't kill them - and as a result only pospones the problem for a while and will make it worse as the fleas will then breed...

A quick tip though. If you have fleas in the house, give all your soft furnishings a good vacuum. Pop a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner bag before you start and it'll take care of any that get sucked up while you clean. ;)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 20:51:39 PM »
I had a kitten who came to me covered with fleas on a Saturday night too !!

Try and pick out as many as you can, hold them between your fingers for a couple of mins and then pop them with your nail  :sick: (there are tough little sods to kill)

Helen is totally right, dont use Bob Martin or Johnson 4fleas or anything like that as they are a waste of time and can be dangerous.
Pets at home are open on a Sunday and they sell Frontline, You can also buy this from some chemists too

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 19:46:42 PM »
I'm afraid that as the shops are shut you will only be able to comb her tonight.  Please don't be tempted to use supermarket stuff, not only is it a false economy as it really isn't up to much but it could also be dangerous for such a young kitten.  Pets at Home have a vet in store that is normally open on Sundays so if you really can't wait until Monday then you could get some vet strength flea stuff from there tomorrow.

Once she's been treated you'll need to spray all your carpets and soft furnishings with a vet strength spray (Indorex, Acclaim etc) You can get these from high street chemists, Boots, online pet pharamcies and of course your vets.  Indorex gives 12 months protection so although it's a hassle you only really need to do it once.

:welcome: to Purrs by the way. 

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
Newbie - Please help FLEAS ON A YOUNG KITTEN
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 19:18:01 PM »
Hi,

I am a newbie here and I will introduce myself soon, I have a problem that I need help wth ASAP.

My 7 week old kitten has fleas. All he vets are closed and we need to try and get rid of a lot of them tonight.

Any advice to help her.

We will get flea spray for her tommorow but what can we do now?

Also what do we need to do to our house and her bedding etc to stop them returning?

Any help would be appreciated so much!! xxxxxx
Mummy to:

Link to CatChat