Author Topic: Medivet - anyone used them?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Medivet - anyone used them?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
I've been advised to contact them about a VN training place so I'd be interested to hear further

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 19:43:29 PM »
Our CP welfare coordinator is a vet nurse for Medivet nr us and we use the said vet as one of our CP vets and it has worked well.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 19:27:35 PM »
My vet is  Medivet practice! I have been into two but only had the cats treated at one. Yes they are expensive but my vet is walking distance, the vets are lovely and the nurses lovelier. They remember who you are, who your pets are, even when you haven't been in many times and not for months. I can always get an appointment as they work evenings and Saturdays and I also know they have a "pet ambulance". If I remember rightly they have an out of hours practice for emergencies, a kind of hospital which is where the ambulance takes your pet. I can't fault them on anything but the price but for me that's a small price to pay for the care my puds receive from them.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 19:18:14 PM »
I think like many practices, it's a case of the individual vet you see - they can be very pricey though and I've heard a lot of people say the same!  I used to go to a privately owned practice which was taken over by medivet last year when the owner retired, and the prices pretty much doubled overnight (admittedly it was cheap before!)

On the up side, they do have their own emergency centres - although they can be a long distance away - but at least it means that they have access to your pets medical records and the animal can stay there and not need to be transferred backwards and forwards.  Their own lab facilities also mean that by 'sending away' blood tests etc, they still come back quickly and presumably because it's all part of the same company, they can pull strings and get results back more quickly if cases are urgent.  I guess if you have good insurance, then the prices aren't so much of a problem, but if you're considering going there, I would ring up and get a general flavour of prices for things like blood tests/x-rays/dentals etc.

Having said that, we swapped practice shortly after ours changed - we had awful problems getting appointments (mainly 'teething problems' but still not helpful when you have poorly animals) and I wasn't very confident in the usual vets ability with rabbits.  I moved to Companion Care, which much as I hate the fact that it's in PAH, it is open 7 days a week for routine & emergency appointments, and I'm very happy with the vets there - but again it does so much depend on how you get on with the individual vets in the practice you are at!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Medivet - anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 18:50:57 PM »
The name came up in yet another conversation about 'vets now'. I've looked at the website and it seems to be a (mainly) southern thing.
Have any of you any experience with them? The website says they are a 24 hour vet care provider (as opposed to an EMERGENCY service).

Link to CatChat