Author Topic: Poppy has just come in with fleas  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Poppy has just come in with fleas
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
Hedgie fleas are different to cat ones and they can't live on a cat. We always have hedgies in the garden at night but the cats never get fleas. I do them once a month in the summer and every 2 months in the winter and it's over 2 years since we had fleas  :sick:

Even though hedgie fleas can't live long term on cats they will hop over for a quick "snack"  fleas are clever little blighters thats why people get bitten by cat and dog fleas.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »
Well  she came home this morning looking very sorry for herself - few dead fleas combed out and will continue to keep brushinf her today.    I'd llove to know where she had been and stuck her head as never seen so many so quickly, none in the house and all the other cats are still flea free, will re "spot on" them all next week when I do monthly food order.    Think I am going to be flea paranoid for quite a while though!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 18:28:28 PM »
I'm sure the frontline will do the trick- if she is still uncomfortable this evening, then try to comb them out with a fine comb (nit combs are good for this) and the frontline should deal with the eggs.

She hasn't come home yet but I will use a cat nit comb I have on her thanks x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 17:51:15 PM »
Hedgie fleas are different to cat ones and they can't live on a cat. We always have hedgies in the garden at night but the cats never get fleas. I do them once a month in the summer and every 2 months in the winter and it's over 2 years since we had fleas  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 17:36:20 PM »
I'm sure the frontline will do the trick- if she is still uncomfortable this evening, then try to comb them out with a fine comb (nit combs are good for this) and the frontline should deal with the eggs.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 13:15:09 PM »
The fact that she has managed to come home with sooo many of them she may have managed to find herself a little "spiky" friend to investigate!  Hedgehogs are famed for housing lots of hoppers and if Poppy has found either a nest or even an adult hedgie they will have hopped across for a free feed!  I'm sure the frontline will deal with them  :sick:

I hope the Frontline works, she is still out

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 13:14:24 PM »
Oh Mrs R  :hug:

What household flea spray do you use ?

Acclaim

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 13:12:05 PM »
The fact that she has managed to come home with sooo many of them she may have managed to find herself a little "spiky" friend to investigate!  Hedgehogs are famed for housing lots of hoppers and if Poppy has found either a nest or even an adult hedgie they will have hopped across for a free feed!  I'm sure the frontline will deal with them  :sick:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »
Must be something to do with all the rain we've had. My lot are showing signs of fleas - twitching fur etc.

Have to admit to not Frontlining them for a while; anyone have any hints for putting drops on the necks of two half-feral cats?  :sneakin:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »
Oh Mrs R  :hug:

What household flea spray do you use ?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »
She went out running whilst scratching and rolling aorund on the drive way - my poor baby.   I have sprayed the house and hoovered and checked all the other cats but I am so freaked.     My 11 year neice is coming round tonight to stay - OMG what a nightmare.   Poo Poppy, plus Bunty was vomiting this morning and isn't herself  :(    My poor babies.     

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 12:16:59 PM »
I would have thought the Frontline will kill the fleas and i would use it again in a months time  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Poppy has just come in with fleas
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
We use Frontline spot on every 2-3 months depending on the season and we gave them their last spot on a month ago, I  just sat on the bed with Poppy to see lots of fleas around her ears - some crawling and some not and not moving even when I touched them.

I had another spare spot on which I have put on her behind her neck and she has run aoutside, whislt watching her she is going crazy so I expect the fleas are going insane with the new Frontline I have put on her but OMG where the bloody hell did they come from?

She has obviously been near a cat with flaes or eaten something that was covered in fleas.    Where some dead because of the old Frontline do you think?    SHE WAS FINE LAST NIGHT - i GROOM THE CATS EVERY DAY TO DOUBLE CHECK.   

Do you this re applying the Frontline will be enough?    I have sprayed the house with de-flea.

UUUUURRRRGGGGGG what a nightmare - wherethe hell did she go last night to get them!

I am devestated my cats have never had fleas :censored:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:04:56 PM by MrsR »

Link to CatChat