Author Topic: What are chances of RSPCA Kitten having FIV or FELV?  (Read 12805 times)

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Re: What are chances of RSPCA Kitten having FIV or FELV?
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
Yes she has, and I agree, I'm not going to keep her in.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
I think if Izzi is used to going out then she should be able to.

Have you got a cat flap so she can get in and out herself?

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Hi Gill

Izzi is 5 years old and Jasmine is only 9 weeks old. So a very big age difference.

Jasmine is more settled now and I have left her alone for an hour this morning. She is now sleeping. So i think she will be OK left alone at certain times of the day ie when she is tired. We care going to take turns sleeping in her room at night so she isn't on her own then.

I have the next 2 weeks off work to settle her in then I am back 3 full days a week. My friend, who lives next door, is going to come in and play with her at lunch time for an hour or so on the days I am at work. So she should be OK.

I think I am going to go the slow route and do scents first then short meetings. until they are used to each other. Then gradually build up the time together. That is what I did when I introduced Izzi into Jijo's territory. Although Jijo did sulk for about 2 months. Wouldn't come near me, would only come in for food etc.

The RSPCA centre gave me a leaflet that says I should keep Izzi in until Jasmine can go out. But Jasmine can't go out for another 4 months so I don't really think that is practical. I am just worried that when introductions start that Izzi will run away. That would break my heart.

What do you think?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 22:33:42 PM »
How old is Izzi?

If she is about the same age as Jasmine I would try very putting Jasmine in her carrier and letting Izzi in and see how they both react. If they both seem Ok  you could try opeing the carrier but nake sure thay have some where to go and hide, like a card board box.

If they hiss or growl or appear threatening to each other the slowere method will need to be used and one will have to stay in her own room and then gradually scents will need to be exchanged but this will be very difficult if Jasmione doesnt want to be left alone

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 19:20:02 PM »
The new furbabe is here and we have named her Jasmine. She is walking all over the computer right now  :Luv: She is settling in really well, but does NOT like to be left on her own AT ALL.

How long should I leave it before trying out an introduction with Izzi and what is the best way to do it? I am so worried about upsetting my beautiful Izwiz.  :scared:

The RSPCA cattery people and the home checker both gave advice at opposite ends of the spectrum  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 21:44:49 PM »
Wow well done Jijo  ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 18:56:57 PM »
That's great news  ;D What about timing for the rainbow eh?  :hug:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 17:58:04 PM »
Home Check done. We passed  :) and we are going to bring her home tomorrow. :Luv:

So I went out today to buy stuff for the new babe and while I was driving around Jijo sent me a rainbow. It made me cry but I know now that he approves of what we are doing. Love you Jeej.  :Luv: :'( :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 22:03:38 PM »
Sure it will go fine  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 20:59:02 PM »
Don't worry, ask loads of questions! Hope everything goes well and the wee one(s) are winging their way to you very soon.  ;D ;D

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 20:34:12 PM »
Home check tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that we can then bring our new furbabe(s) home on Sunday  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 16:49:34 PM »
Great  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 14:33:50 PM »
May the Gods bless you.  ;D :hug: :hug:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 13:07:54 PM »
Hi Sheilarose

When we went to meet her, there was one other kitten that hadn't been reserved and I have told Carl that if that is still the case when we go back to collect her then we will bring the other one home too.  :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 21:38:38 PM »
We have a mixed FIV+ and -ve household. This is where I got most of my information, and I would not hesitate to home another FIV+ cat with my brood. FIV is a much misunderstood condition. There is no reason why an FIV+ kitten should not live a full and healthy life.

http://www.catwork.co.uk/

You sure you only want one? I'd think about taking two from the same litter, playmates and friends for life may in fact save your sanity. When she thinks it's playtime at 4am, and you're the only available playmate.  :shify:  ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 19:44:21 PM »
The Boris is registered at the vets as the Boris  :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 18:38:25 PM »
Thanks Gill. she would be  :hug:

Liz I love that you call The Boris, The Boris

I will let everyone know more about her once she is here with me. Not getting my hopes up too much as I have to have a home check done first. The last one I had was at a different house and it was 14 years ago.

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 16:32:10 PM »
We need details on the kitten colour sex name and all the good things kittens bring

...all I can say is go for it and careful introductions help and at the end of the day just love them for who they are  :hug:

Seconded!  :hug:

I guess any non-pedigree cat has a 'risk' of having FIV or FELV  (whereas a registered pedigree's parents would be fully tested for breeding) but as long as they appear healthy and happy then I would go for it - none of us know what's round the corner and as Liz says kittens can't be tested until they're 4 months-ish anyway and I think a rescue would only routinely test if Mum-cat was known to be FIV.

Fingers crossed everything goes to plan with this little one and you can get some some sunshine back in your life after the pain of losing Jijo  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 16:23:58 PM »
Am glad you have decided on the kitten whatever way we love them for whonthey are not what they may or may not have

I know when we took Baku on and lost her kittens to fading kitten syndrome we had her tested for everything and she came back negative for everything but was just so ill herself and being feral and having kittens in horrendous conditions nearly killed her as well, but I have Baku and The Boris all aliove hale and hearty although Boris seems to have a comrpimised immune system so is a regular visitor to the vets and we just let him be The Boris

We need details on the kitten colour sex name and all the good things kittens bring

Sadly not all vets are up to date with FIV and the things that can be done, my 3 FIV+ babies all went to the bridge through unrelated conditions to their FIV and were as healthy as my none FIV so all I can say is go for it and careful introductions help and at the end of the day just love them for who they are  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 16:12:59 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jijo must be always on your mind at present.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the vet at the RSPCA centre

If the kitten is just what you are looking for go for it and I hope she will have a long and happy life with you cos she will be clearly loved  ;D ;D

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 14:44:19 PM »
We cross posted so please see my post below yours.

I am still a bit confused however, as kittens cant be tested, what would you do with any older kitten that you had that tested positive?

I wouldn't pts or rehome -if that's what you are thinking. I just thought you needed to be more cautious if they were FIV+ but clearly I am wrong.

In this case the RSPCA did not know the history of the mother as she was dumped at their gate while pregnant and had her kittens at the centre (she is only about a year old herself). Therefore I thought there could be more of a chance she had FIV. Having said that, I have never had any of my other cats tested. It is just that there seems to be more talk of this disease now days so it makes you more wary.

Anyway it is a moot point now as I am not going to have the kitten tested when she is old enough. I am just going to love her. If she becomes ill at all I will simply take her to the vets to be treated like I always do with all of my cats.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 14:32:13 PM »

FIV will only be passed if the cats fight and get wounded or by breeding and think your vet is being overly sensitive. It does not live outside the body for hardly anytime at all.

It wasn't my vet it was the vet that the RSPCA use for that centre.

I think I am being over sensitive myself though. Probably because I have only just lost my Jijo.

Sorry if I seemed defensive before. I actually wish I hadn't even got up this morning at all. Not a good day.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 14:27:25 PM »
We cross posted so please see my post below yours.

I am still a bit confused however, as kittens cant be tested, what would you do with any older kitten that you had that tested positive?

I am trying to think of HIV in humans and dont believe it can be passed from saliva to saliva.................may be wrong............there has to be an open wound of some sort on the non-HIV person.

Back many years ago not so much was known, at one point it was believed that it passed by touch or just being in the same room and of course those days are long gone.

However its taking a long time for people including vets to catch up for cats.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 14:17:53 PM »
Oh and by the way, When they said they would have to pts if the test was positive, I immediately withdrew my request to have the mum tested.

Just so you know Gill.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 14:17:00 PM »
I didnt mean to offend you but was trying to make sense of your post  :-[ I am not thinking of you as heartless.

Its very hard to pass on FIV and a number of people on Purrs have mixed households.

If you think about it, HIV and non-HIV people mix all the time and often dont know it.

FIV will only be passed if the cats fight and get wounded or by breeding and think your vet is being overly sensitive. It does not live outside the body for hardly anytime at all.

There is a test because it was believed in the past that this was passed very easily which is not true and also to do with research, probably the last is the reason mostly. In the wild where there are feral colonys that breed and fight then its passed easily but gone are the days when all cats with FIV are pts, except by RSPCA mostly but also know that in the CP big shelters run by CP they are also pts..........we have one a number of miles from here.

Attitudes to FIV are changing but some vets it seems are still not up todate. Yes its passed in saliva but through bites where saliva immediately contacts the other cats wound.

I am sure many of us have FIV cats and dont know it cos most cats are never tested. The best way to stop this spreading is by neutering because the main conduit is breeding.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 14:00:15 PM »
Gill

I am not saying I wouldn't rehome them. I am simply saying that If they let me have her and she was FIV+ wouldn't I have to be more careful? Such as keeping her in etc.

Reading other threads on this site I was given the impression that it is best not to mix FIV+ cats with FIV - cats. If I am wrong then I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone I was just trying to understand the situation.

No I would not be happy for the RSPCA to pts. I think that is wrong. As I said before I was given the impression by this forum that FIV+ and FIV - are better kept apart.

You say that it is hard to find a cat that has been tested so why is there a test? Oh and by the way. the cost is irrelevant.

I do not agree with any animal being put to sleep needlessly and I resent the fact that you think I do.

I am hurt that anyone would think that of me. I have lost several cats through illness, One very recently so do not accuse me of being so heartless. How dare you.

Liz, I know I wouldn't get a result from the kitten until she is 16 weeks. That is why I asked them if they could test the mum. I offered to pay for the test and that is when they said if it was positive they would have to pts the whole family. I was shocked. I didn't know that was their policy. The woman at the RSPCA said that FIV can be transferred in saliva. Their vet said it can be transferred just through sharing drinking water. So it seems it is quite easy to catch, which is why I was worried about Izzi.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 13:20:18 PM »
You wouldn't get a result on a kitten untill it is over 16 weeks old you could get false positives

If they have tested Mum and she is FIV then chances are its been passed to the kittens, FELV is the same and usually PTS is kinder for FELV as it is a nasty death

FIV+ and FIV- can live happily with no transference I have had both here with no issues and Moira has equal numbers of both with no issues

Sadly nothing is fait ta compli when it comes to this, they may also be Corona carriers as well

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
I find your post very confusing.

It seems that you would be happy that the RSPCA pts these cats and they would.

On the other hand you are saying that many would rehome them but not youi?

Most rescues do not do these checks and FIV is very hard to pass on, and you say that your cat is vaccinated for FeLV.

If you found the kitten had either, what would you do, Pts?

You will find it very hard to find a cat that has been tested unless it was ill unless you go to somewhere that tests because they are going to pts any that test positive. A number of posititive tests done in house will be false, so tests would have to go to Glasgow...............do you know the cost of all this?

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
What are chances of RSPCA Kitten having FIV or FELV?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »
Hi Everyone

I went to the RSPCA on Saturday and have fallen in love with a very young kitten (7 weeks old). I asked about testing the mum for FIV, as I know that it is too early to test her babies, and they have said they don't routinely test for it because if they do and it is positive they will have to PTS the mother and all the kittens!!!!  >:(  :(

I voiced my opinion about how there are plenty of people out there that would home FIV positive cats but she was very clear that they would not allow that.  >:( also I think it is irresponsible of the RSPCA to turn a blind eye and just let potentially FIV Pos cats out into the community.

So my dilemma is, should I go ahead with the home check and if successful adopt the kitten and just hope she is ok, then get her tested myself when she is old enough or should I walk away.

My other concern is that I do not want Izzi my other cat to contract the disease, though I could, at a push, keep them separate until a test is done. Though the idea was to get a companion for Izzi.

Izzi is 5 years old and is vaccinated for FeLV each year.

Any advice would be welcome

Link to CatChat