Author Topic: Covered litter trays  (Read 5057 times)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Re: Covered litter trays
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 16:20:05 PM »
Mine all took to them straight away and never had any problems with them and they had previously only had the open trays although they were probably all 1 and 2 when I started using the covered ones. If you go for one with a flap I'd suggest leaving the flap off or prop it open somehow for a while until you see he is using it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 16:06:25 PM »
will it be difficult getting a 13yo cat, used to a covered tray do you think?  he has always had an open tray.

REALLY must get a covered one - my new cat seems incapable of pooing inside his existing one!  he wees just fine though :)

He may object so make sure you leave the open one down too til he gets the hang of it! Or you may get toe jammed  :shify: :rofl:
Personally id rather roll up and chuck some news paper then clean up the skid down the hood!! :rofl:

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
will it be difficult getting a 13yo cat, used to a covered tray do you think?  he has always had an open tray.

REALLY must get a covered one - my new cat seems incapable of pooing inside his existing one!  he wees just fine though :)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »
I have 2 of these

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1J05+Litter+trays/product-is-13004

and they are great. Mogs hasnt managed to wee in the join yet, the clips are still going strong and they must be at least 1 year old if not about 3. I dont use the front flap though so I cant comment on that.

love
Tab

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
I would really recommend them. Even though I have been through quite a few of them now, mainly because of the flap breaking off, I still think they are a great job. A little bit of litter still comes out but nothing like the trays.

I looked at those Gimpet ones as well.

I think I'll go for the one I linked too as like the idea of the corner one. I've seen it in a pet shop and it is still quite a good size.

Thanks for all the info.

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 14:24:53 PM »
i SO need to get one of these.  Timmy my new Meezer craps over the side pretty much every time he goes (bar two 'hits' at the weekend).  It's not such a big problem as I place the tray on newspaper and then just bundle up the paper and throw it away.  However, I think once Timmy has free run of the house and starts using my other Meezer's tray, it might be a problem...can't see my other Meezer wanting to navigate around a big poo to get into his own tray!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
I have these ones (3)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/13624

not a problem from any of them

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »
I bought the covered trays in PAH without a flap. They are cheaper than the ones with a flap and don't have a charcoal filter.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »
I have the corner one two. I've never had any problems and they both use it. Sometimes have problems getiing the clips to fold down but once you get the hang of it it's fine

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 21:07:32 PM »
I have the corner one from Zooplus. It's a really good size, deep tray bit, both of mine use it, I even lift it with Dave inside sometimes and all is still intact. Dave also likes to dive bomb in and out when the tray is freshly cleaned and it withstands that too! I'd highly recommend.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 19:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the info and for the link. I think the one in the link is the same as the corner version I saw. They have both versions in one of my local pet shops but think will order it from Zooplus. Any that I had with a flap that broke did so within months so if yours has lasted a year I'm encouraged by that.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 17:06:18 PM »
Before my new girls come home I need to get another litter tray. I like the covered ones but have found that with lots of them the flap breaks off easily and whilst it lasted on my current one the clips broke so I can't lift it by the handle.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've seen this one in a local pet shop (that I don't like to use) and was thinking about it:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/19588

I have this one

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/19586

which looks like a version of the corner one you linked to above (but super jumbo size!!).  I've only had it a year but the flap and clips are still going strong and seem tougher than those on previous trays I've had (it was always the flap that broke first on other trays)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 14:48:08 PM »
I have a covered litter tray - I got it at Pets at Home about 2 years and its still going strong.  I've never had any problems with the door and the base has only got tiny little marks in it too.   When I first got it I thought I would have had to replace it by now but its still going strong - and that's with 2 cats using it.   Can't remember how much it was - think about £25.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
Covered litter trays
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 14:33:24 PM »
Before my new girls come home I need to get another litter tray. I like the covered ones but have found that with lots of them the flap breaks off easily and whilst it lasted on my current one the clips broke so I can't lift it by the handle.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've seen this one in a local pet shop (that I don't like to use) and was thinking about it:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/19588

Link to CatChat