Author Topic: Indoor cat's nails - what to do?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
Re: Indoor cat's nails - what to do?
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 23:12:03 PM »
Ali and I did all the girlies front paws for the first time yesterday... Letty squealed and went all bitey and generally kicked up a big furry fuss, Daphne did a bit of token wriggling but basically cooperated. And then I managed to do a couple of the Lettifer's back claws when she was asleep on my lap this evening  :evillaugh: I'm sure they'll get used to it eventually...
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 23:09:09 PM »
I just cut them myself with a pair of normal nailclippers.  I did Mia's for the first time tonight while she was dozing beside me & she was fine, just wondered what on earth I was doing  :Crazy:.  Just remember to clip off the white bits at the end - avoid any pink and they won't feel a thing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2006, 07:54:05 AM »
Have you tried clipping them yourself? It is very easy.
Please spay your cat

Offline caddy

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 23:56:40 PM »
My Alfie is a indoor cat and I take him to the vets to have his claws trimmed. This does have to be done regular otherwise they get too long and he will start to catch himself. I try and take him in for other things i.e his weight weigh in or a general check up and then the nurse or vet wont harge any extra otherwise I have to pay £8.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 17:10:44 PM »
I line my 10 up and do them all in one go before they really realise whats going on, ha ha!! Actually all my current cats are really good about it, but I used to have a tortie called Cassie who would scream blue murder if I tried to do her claws!

Gillian

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »
I'f I'm having a 'no nonsense' day, Max just looks at me with disdain as if to say 'you really think you can get me do what you want me to do.....'  :scared:

Guess I'm just too soft for my own good lol! 

Regarding claw clipping, I do manage to do Max's but its a 2 person operation, o/h giving his head a tickle and putting his paws out, then me doing the deed with my nail clippers.  He used to go nuts, but he's not so bad now he's more used to it.  When I took him to the vets the first few times, they said 'just hold him, he'll be fine'..........told them the only way to do it was for me to pick him and up hold him over my shoulder so it relaxed him.    Needless to say that 5 minutes later it was being done my way  :rofl:

Bless em'

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 21:56:34 PM »
 :rofl: yeah poor boys hehe

actually seb is ok but fraser in his old age is beginning to have a grump when i do anything, reckon he knows by the tone of my voice to tow the line tho  :rofl:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 21:27:47 PM »
I can't even brush Pimpernel without him kicking up a fuss!? :)? It's lucky that he makes such a good job of grooming himself - his fur looks more of a problem than it is.l

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 21:02:08 PM »
Pourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Sebastian , no wonder he made a break for it  :( oh and poor Fraser too.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 19:28:53 PM »
my big boys always know when i am about to do something coz i shut the doors in thir little portion f the house (between hall and bathroom) and lock the catflap LOL
then they know they're in for trouble  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 18:59:09 PM »
ha ha!? I'm not quite as brutal as I sound!? But having to try several times to get something done is, imo, much more stressful for the poor cat than just being firm and matter of fact about it from the start and getting it over with asap.? I always make sure tablets go right to the back of the throat so that they can't be spat out.? Of course that only works for something like a 5 day course of antibiotics - by that point he's wary of me and knows when I'm approaching with a tablet!? If he needed daily medication I think I'd go for the hiding it in a tasty treat option.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 17:06:00 PM »
mmm yes precisely my approach altho if i said it like that i thought i'd get slammed so glad you said it first LOL

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 16:53:37 PM »
I'm quite tough and no nonsense about things like this too.? Jaffa doesn't like his claws doing but I think it's easier on him if I hold him firmly and get it over with as quickly as possible.? Same with tablets - I go for the pin him to the ground and shove it down his throat approach!? Less stress all round as it's over with quickly.

The only time I've asked the vets to clip claws is when I've had them in for something else and they've never charged for it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 15:48:10 PM »
i must be awfully strict  :scared:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 15:30:43 PM »
My 2 boys change from docile fluffs to nasty wildies where their claws are concerned.

I keep an eye on the claws and then we have a vet visit where they are clipped - it usually takes 3 of us to do each cat!! :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 15:27:53 PM »
Actually, my vet openly admits that she can't pill her own cats and has to take them to the surgery with her when they have to have meds. Out of my cats though, she has only ever had to give Pebbles tabs, and she is a nightmare anyway - although i have been able to do it when she couldn't.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 15:19:32 PM »
desley its the only way, i guess doing it every day for a living you have to have that attitude and theres no way i could let my own animals get the better of me given my qualification..LOL  Wouldnt really be a good advertisement for myself going to the vet for nails clipping or probs giving tablets LOL

Offline michelle_b

• Adult Cat
  • Molly & Maisey
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 15:07:00 PM »
We clip our cats claws ourselves, the cost at the vets is a bit steep. We've never had any problems doing it ourselves although I think we will have to wait for Maisey to be asleep before attempting hers, she's such a wriggler we'd never keep her still enough.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 15:04:00 PM »
I agree, start them young (if poss) and they don't know what all the fuss is about, my 3 all lie on their backs on my lap to have them done and they're quite happy to let mummy clip em.
One can never have too many cats.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 15:02:18 PM »
Lynn, I have your attitude when it comes to claws (and carriers and tabs), maybe that is why I have no probs. Living on your own helps too, you've got to learn how to do these things with only one pair of hands.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 14:23:23 PM »
i always do codys purely for household and personal protection when he does his wall of death.  Hes abit of a monkey and bites the clippers LOL

My animals learn i am the boss and i will do what i will do - they have to accept and put up with that.  Altho cody seems to be taking abit longer to learn but then again i didnt have the others so young as him but i accept no nonsense when i carry out these types of tasks !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 14:11:38 PM »
I have just trimmed Rossi's claws ... start em young I say!!  She was no trouble at all and Foxy and Zephyr have been having theirs trimmed since they were about 3 months old as well.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 12:55:08 PM »
That made me laugh Tab  ;D

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 12:47:50 PM »
Although I only check Mog's claws occasionally I do Ambers practically every week as she polishes them into needles and they hurt. I have to admit though Amber is a bit dim when it comes to claws. I take the clippers out of the drawer and she starts rubbing her face against them purring. I then grab her and tuck her down between me and the chair cushion so I can get at her feet. She yowls when I hold her paws (before I even start) then allows me to do all her claws even the back ones sometimes. I let her go and she gets on the arm of the chair then back on my knee and rubs against the clippers again.
love
Tab

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 12:22:40 PM »
Good heavens that is terrible price!

Get some toenail clippers and just clip off ends every so often making sure you never never clip into the coloured bit.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 11:27:37 AM »
I thought ?8.50 was expensive, as they had always done them along with something else, so if I was charged I didn't notice!! The annoying part was I can do them myself, I was just being lazy that one time!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
It is about ?4 at our vets, although if you are here for something else it is usually free.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:37:57 AM »
?8.50!! The mind boggles :Crazy:  I thought I was overcharging when I do clients for ?4.00 as it can be done so quick!
One can never have too many cats.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »
rrrrrrrrrrrrr sheath that is the word, I couldn't think of it. Old age and poverty I think.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »
i would get the vet to show you, and then decide if you can do it at home or not - but some vets charge - mine charge ?8.50, the rescues vet ?8.00!!! It is very easy, I always check my lots weekly, and haven't found a cat yet whos claws I can't do.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »
You do need to trim the claws on an indoor cat, esp older ones - as they aren't walking on hard surfaces they dont wear them down like outdoor cats.? As you've discovered, if they get too long and sharp they get caught on things.? If they're left to grow they can even curl over and grow into the paw pad.? I'd get the vet to show you how to do it first time but it's fairly easy to do on most cats with a bit of practice.? Try to get him used to having his paws handled without the claw trimming and hopefully he'll get used to that.? With Jaffa I trim all his claws in one go.? He's not very happy about it but tolerates it.? I sit on my heels with him facing away from me and wedged in place by my knees!? Both arms go around him and one hand holds the paw while the other clips the claw.? Practice makes perfect!? With Mosi I just do a few here and there when he's lying on my lap.

Like ela says - it's normal for the outer sheath to fall off as the claw grows.? I find them all over the place.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »
Yes they do lose the outer 'shell' occasionally.

Have you a scratching post?

I suggest you take the little one to the vet and ask him/her to show you the correst way to clip.

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
Indoor cat's nails - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
Hi, as I have mentioned in most of my other posts, I recently adopted a mature adult cat from a friend. Recently he is getting stuck in the carpet as he walks and I find nail shells (I don't know what they are called so that's my only way to describe them) around the house (sorta gross to be honest). Before I took him from his previous owner she told me she used to clip his nails sometimes. This seems undoable to me as he doesn't like me to manhandle his paws or God forbid his feet! Does he need a groomer or vet visit? Can they be left as is? Is it normal that he is losing some nail shells?

What to do? :scared: :innocent: :shy:

Link to CatChat