Author Topic: Re: Family threatened with ASBO - Update - found but in a bad way - update 7 years on.  (Read 18505 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Family threatened with ASBO and fine for missing cat posters!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
I don't want to phone people to early but will phone Heather & Roxanne after 10am (reasonable time?) to see if there is any news.

I just found Milly's original thread - I had forgotten that she was a cupboard cat  :( http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,11265.0.html

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:25:29 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
Fab job Mark.. deserve a pat on the back... And what about if lovely Milly is back.. that would be a great story and one we could feature in the next NL i suppose.. Daniel the son was esp good on the TV last night, a very confident teenager who isnt afraid to speak in front of the camera. All in all a lovely family... i hope that Milly did make it home after all that..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
Been out all day and only got back at 1.30am - I am really pleased that CP media department got the story round. I see part of the statement from the council denies threatening them with an ASBO  >:(

"The council would also like to make it clear that, despite media stories to the contrary, at no point was Daniel or any member of his family threatened with receiving an anti-social behaviour order (ASBO)."

I wasn't going to log on tonight but I wondered if Milly had been found as I had a message on my phone from Roxanne who fostered Milly before she was homed. She said Mrs Cope had asked for my home number as the family wanted to thank us for all our help in finding Milly and they wanted to make a donation. I will find out tomorrow.

Anyway, glad the council backed down - all we need to hear now is that Milly is back safe & sound  :Luv2:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 00:55:53 AM »
Muppets  >:(  Glad they've backed down now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7600602.stm - Video of TV appearance and the article

Canterbury Council's official statement...

http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/news.php?mode=detail&id=2218
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:00:58 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 18:50:23 PM »
This is the same council that refused to allow us to hold a collection for CP after a performance of the tour of "Cats" outside their Marlowe Theatre, despite us having full permission and support from the cast and crew.

Don't be thinking this is a bad interpretation of guidelines - their rules are firmly set against helping charities that aren't politically expediant enough. They are heartless, self serving creeps!  >:(

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 18:05:00 PM »
THIS STORY IS FEATURED ON BBC1 AT 6.30 PM TONIGHT..!! Well done Mark for making this news! and well done HQ CP for doing such a good job there are alot of red faces in CCC
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 17:22:20 PM »
This has just made the 4pm news on Radio 2!

I heard!!!

Honestly, I've never heard anything so stupid.... how else do people get back a much loved family pet... so stupid.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 16:49:13 PM »
Oh and I do not work for CCC before i have the rotten eggs thrown at me!
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 16:48:09 PM »
As someone who deals with ASB and prepares ASBO applications for court, I agree this is a heavy handed approach by a warden that obviously does not know how ASB's are obtained.

There is a new law come in under the cleaner neighbourhood acts for fly posting, but ASBO's are to stop repetitive offending. ASBO's cannot be applied to "One offs" as in this case, no judge or magsitrate would look at this seriously.

A warning letter would have to be sent out first to the family and this would have to be recorded in the case file as to the type of "Repeat behaviour" that provoked this warning. Staments would then have to be prepared and witnesses inteviewed. ASBO's are about Harrassment, Alarm and Distress so anyone outside of the family needs to prove H.A.D.

This process takes weeks if not months unless the public are in danger which I find highly unlikely!  :)

Going back to some of the other comments a lot of people think that kids hanging aorund are causing ASB, but kids in groups is not ASB it is their activities. Someone mentioned that the CC will not deal with the kids, well do the CC know? Are there diaries being kept to prove the HAD? How do you know that they are doing nothing, have you asked the ASB officer for your area?

ASBO's are not that easily obtained contary to popular belief and it takes evidence that proves on the balance of probabilites that they have caused H.A.D. There has to be a strong burden of proof and I really think that family have nothing to worry about, but I agree someone needs a shake up!  :naughty:

This will die a death, hopefully there is a ASB manager out there feeling rather  :-[

Law lecture over!  ;)

Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 16:04:23 PM »
This has just made the 4pm news on Radio 2!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »
Oh for godness sake  >:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »
According to the Telegraph, 'over-zealousness' has been conceded.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »
Do you think it would help if we all emailed our disgust to the Council?

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:14 AM »
Oh for heaven's sake - do none of the county council idiots possess compassion - or own cats?!

Any news on the missing cat?

When 'Noosh went missing last year, we put posters up in all of the surrounding area on trees, lamp-posts, in shop windows, outside the local schools, and we also went round leafletting about 1000 houses (we had a co-ordinated team!) with her photo, details and contact info. We also have a community newsletter and they printed her picture in it and the local paper were interested because a couple of other long-haired cats had gone missing from our street at the same time. (all safely recovered!) Anyway, I contacted our local beat bobby and asked him about putting up the posters. He said that as long as we did not detail any reward (apparently this encourages less-desirable people to steal pets and wait for a reward to be offered) and that we removed all of the posters when the cat was found or after a reasonable time, it was okay. . . . .

I do hope that the publicity this gets causes the council to backtrack (and hang their heads in shame) but more importantly, leads to the safe return of the cat.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
I miss the metro too and also evening standard  :(

Lets hope the council are feeling really stupid now its hit national press.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »
ooh that's good, I bet tv will pick it up

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
This was in The Daily Telegraph today on page three.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
Mark, not5 sure if this link is any good for you for getting hold of Meridian.

http://www.yournews.itvlocal.com/

Good on you for tackling this, as you say, they are just going after easy targets to get money out of and not dealing with the real scum who need ASBOs.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Catbird

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
I think my boss picks his Metro up from Whitstable station.  If you scamper down there early enough, you might just get one! ;D

(pervewi psot is my fiend!)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:45:01 AM by Catbird »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »
Mark - the story made the Metro - read it on the train today.  Metro is published pretty much nationally and, as it is traditionally left on the train once the reader is finished, ready for the next reader, it will be read by thousands!  It may be on their www as well, haven't looked and no time at the moment.

I miss reading Metro on the bus/train to work when I lived in London  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
This may have been what she was talking about yesterday. Realistically, local news is the best for actually helping find the cat and the national stuff helps put Canterbury CC in their place - we can't have this silly ruling making a precendent. 

I tried to find a link for reporting stories to Meridian but can't find it. Hopefully there will be enough exposure as it is. This will show the petty bureaucrats up for what they are  >:(

I wonder if CP media department had something to do with this? - if so, it shows what a simple phone call can do  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:32:49 AM by Mark »

Catbird

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
Mark - the story made the Metro - read it on the train today.  Metro is published pretty much nationally and, as it is traditionally left on the train once the reader is finished, ready for the next reader, it will be read by thousands!  It may be on their www as well, haven't looked and no time at the moment.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 07:55:44 AM »
I am going out today but before I go, I am going to phone Meridian TV as I think they would be interested as if it wasn't so serious, it would be funny  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 23:53:00 PM »
What a stupid  :censored: council , hope someone pins their ears to a wall and throws darts at them  >:(

Posters are the key to find cats often and in London  a cat tried to move in, he had been visiting for long time.

I put up posters and his owner saw it so I found out where he lived and he still came to visit me right up to the day I moved  :( They had been away and their neighbours was feeding him and he didnt like them or the food so he tried to move in with another neighbour and when that didnt work , he tried with me.

Get that council!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 21:01:51 PM »
OMG Mark I'm absolutely fuming  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

When Smudge went missing 1 year ago today I litterally put up thousands of posters in the months I was looking for him. In April when someone found his collar and phoned me I then put posters up in that area and because someone saw my poster she knew it was Smudge that she saw on the edge of the road dead the day after.  Without those posters I would not have been able to bring my darling home to bury him in the garden.

I was trying not to cry today and this is the second post that's had me drowning in tears.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 18:04:46 PM »
[quote author=Pinkbear (Julie) link=topic=17920.msg304758#msg304758 date=1220543542

for pete's sake I hope Roxanne (who fostered Milly) doesn't find out or she'll go spare!  :shify: :doh: Poor Milly.  :(
[/quote]

Apparently she was the first to know as they had her number  :scared:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 17:09:05 PM »
How ludicrous and petty.  I hope the Council are made to back track and I hope Milly is found soon

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 16:52:22 PM »
Someone is going to get a right  :censored: ticking off  - and just for once it isn't me!  :cheer: :cheer: :tongue 3: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Fingers cross all this stink gets Milly back - for pete's sake I hope Roxanne (who fostered Milly) doesn't find out or she'll go spare!  :shify: :doh: Poor Milly.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 16:08:47 PM »
one good thing, somebody might see the cat from the article

That's true - she said she hopes someone sees the picture. She said the worst part is not knowing. She said she phoned the council to ask what happens to any RTA cats found. They told her they always scan and take to a vet - This is down to Sharon sorting this out last year.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 16:09:13 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 15:46:03 PM »
Good for you Mark taking this on... CCC surely have more pressing issues to deal with then waste our money on t his.. They are a very loving and caring family they must feel horrid.. HOpe CP HQ can help them.. Mark have you rung the family to tell them about this as it would be a good idea to keep them informed..

I tried to phone but nobody was in - I thought it would be best to speak in person rather than leave a message. I forwarded an email from legal to you and the others saying that CP media department are dealing with it as well and will handle any press enquiries we might get that we feel we can't deal with.

Edit - I spoke to the lady. She said someone from a Newspaper in Dartford has asked for extra pictures and permission to publish. He said the article could appear in papers worldwide.

She has given me permission to do anything that could help get Milly home.

She said she just wants her Milly back  :'(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 16:05:46 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 15:43:33 PM »
one good thing, somebody might see the cat from the article

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 15:37:37 PM »
Good for you Mark taking this on... CCC surely have more pressing issues to deal with then waste our money on t his.. They are a very loving and caring family they must feel horrid.. HOpe CP HQ can help them.. Mark have you rung the family to tell them about this as it would be a good idea to keep them informed..

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 15:15:46 PM »
The annoying thing is, we have to put up with antisocial scum in the streets and they do nothing about that  >:(

I'm sure they find it easier to bully vulnerable people.

Well I will post as I hear but it sounds like there will be some red faces and back-pedalling at Canterbury CC before long. I still maintain they are staffed by people that couldn't cope in the real world of business.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 15:16:17 PM by Mark »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 15:04:11 PM »
Rediculous, sometimes, all to often nowdays in fact, I'm sure the world has gone mad or maybe, just maybe, I've gotten madder  ;D

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 14:24:39 PM »
I said exactly the same thing to the CP solicitor - I said it wasn't a poster for hookers  :tired: - she said that these people need to exercise common sense.

Yet again Canterbury council take the heavy-handed approach - I have had loads of trouble with them  :tired:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 14:25:30 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 14:23:07 PM »
hopefully the bad press will make them back down, its not exactly an escort advert is it???

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 14:18:39 PM »
It is classed as flyposting - "Canterbury Council were not available for comment"  :tired:

They are a bunch of  :censored: :censored:

I hope legal can do something. They are also contacting the media department so hopefully the whole country will know what a shower of  :censored: the council are!  >:(

(Excuse marks - I dripped tomato soup onto the paper  :-[ )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 17:53:29 PM by Mark »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 14:17:12 PM »
Ahhh how sad .. these poor people having to deal with a  :censored: :censored: :censored: jobsworth!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
This is Milly who we homed 9 months ago. She was in a first floor flat. I wondered how she could have got out but she fell out of a first floor window into some bushes. The "Community Warden" has threatened them with an ASBO and a fine. I have contacted CP legal department who are going to pass onto their solicitor to see if they can do anything.

This will affect any missing cats in the area so really important that something is done. Why can't these people use their judgement? - it's not a circus poster!!!!!!

They are a really nice family - I did the homecheck on a Sunday as they were so keen to get Milly  :(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 16:34:51 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat