Author Topic: Query on cat food !!  (Read 16389 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: Query on cat food !!
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2008, 08:35:20 AM »
Thanks - he's in for a wee treat tonight for his dinner then.   :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2008, 22:30:44 PM »
Yes they are fine to give.
He would really benefit from wet food as they can eat more and therefore feel fuller for less calories. As hes on rations he may be persuaded  :sneaky:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2008, 22:26:13 PM »
Is it ok to give cats tinned sardines in a tomato sauce?  I wanted to give my other cat a treat - the overweight one won't touch wet food but Ollie needs to have some wet food to compensate for the fact that he's eatting diet food as he doesn't need to lose any weight.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2008, 22:18:09 PM »
I've now taken him down from 80g a day to 60g and I'm breaking the evening meal up into 2 smaller meals.    Although he's looking for the 2nd smaller meal about an hour after the first one as obviously it isn't filling him very much.   Since cutting the portion size down they are both now looking for food in the morning more than what they did before and they have started meowing looking for their dinner the second I get in from work which they never used to do.  Hopefully we can get this weight off him though.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 22:11:26 PM »
Its not what he eats but how much! And exercise, but gently with his heart condition of course

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2008, 14:14:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a proper nutritionist or a "Hill's advisor"  :evillaugh:

Cereals = carbs
Sugar - carbs

I once read something.
Which has the highest calories

4 ounces of cornflakes or 4 ounces of Frosties

The answer is exactly the same as the cereal and the sugar are both carbs.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2008, 13:04:12 PM »
OMG - this is so confusing!   I will try the Hill's first and see how he gets on - he had lost a little bit since the last time we were there and that was on w/d.   Obviously, if he doesn't lose any then I will need to re-think the brand he is having. The nutrionist had said that the wet foods were high in sugar so not a good idea for him (although he wouldn't eat wet food anyway).   If I could get him to eat fresh meat then I think that would be ok but again he won't touch it ever since I used to hide tablets in it last year - he plays dumb, but he knows my game! 

I have to get him to lose weight - he was diagnosed as having Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and he is overweight.   I have already been told that only has 2 - 4 years to live (he's only 2 a half years old) but I want to prove them wrong. 

In which case I would read the www.catinfo.org website, which is written by a vet, it will open your eyes about carbohydrate filled dry food and how it doesnt help with weight loss. It also gives ideas on how to get dry food addicts to eat wet food.

Thanks, I will have a look at that website.   :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
And for more than one reason, switching to Iams isn't the answer  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »
I agree with Mark. Since this post started, I've spoken to more and more people offline who have overweight cats and it's Hills they get.

Perhaps you need to get a second opinion...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »
 This makes sense to me

"Molly’s veterinarian had prescribed Science Diet dry r/d for her and instructed her caretaker to feed Molly only very small portions.  This is not sound obesity management advice.  Science Diet r/d is an illogical and poor quality diet that contains 33 percent carbohydrates and the following - less than optimal." 

So my idea of feeding Orijen and wet is a good compromise. I can't get Kylie onto q completely wet diet so this is hopefully the answer. Another thing that was pointed out by Jackspratt a while ago was a feline diabetes site. They recommend food in jelly as it is lower in carbs than food in gravy. It recommended "Classic" food in cats which is one of the cheapest. I can't get my cats to eat it so they get Felix senior in jelly.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2008, 23:24:58 PM »
I have to get him to lose weight - he was diagnosed as having Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and he is overweight.   I have already been told that only has 2 - 4 years to live (he's only 2 a half years old) but I want to prove them wrong. 

In which case I would read the www.catinfo.org website, which is written by a vet, it will open your eyes about carbohydrate filled dry food and how it doesnt help with weight loss. It also gives ideas on how to get dry food addicts to eat wet food.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2008, 23:17:57 PM »
I noticed on here that Orijen is highly recommended so it might be something that we try at a later date - I'll see how we get on with this R/D first.   I think the problem in my house (and its my fault) is that I put their meals down to them and leave it there for them to pick at all day (it is weighed out with the correct amount for each of them) but of course, I don't think Ollie eats much and Harvey eats the rest hence his weight gain.  So their dishes won't be getting left out all day for them - instead I'll break it down into 3 meals a day for them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2008, 22:08:27 PM »
I would follow their advice and if there isno weight loss, take it into your own hands. I bet she has never even heard of Orijen?  :Crazy:

After all the various things I have tried. I really think Kylie is startig to lose weight slowly but surely on Orijen, RC Slimness, Wet food and fish.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 21:25:44 PM »
It baffles me how a nutrionist can think a dry food will be the best thing for weight loss, I have tried Hills r/d and didn't rate it at all.

The nutrionist actually said that dry food was the best diet for a cat - I don't actually agree with that statement as that isn't what they would eat if they were out in the wild but unfortunately I can't get Harvey to eat wet food so don't know if she was trying to make me feel better.  To be honest I didn't have the greatest confidence in her and she kept checking books but surely if that was your job and you only promote Hill's you should know the products like the back of your hand.   We'll just need to wait and see how it goes.  I have to get him to lose weight - he was diagnosed as having Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and he is overweight.   I have already been told that only has 2 - 4 years to live (he's only 2 a half years old) but I want to prove them wrong. 

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 21:20:33 PM »
This is for you!  :evillaugh:
Lol - thanks.  I noticed that on another post about the smell....mmmmm, I'll look forward to it - its stinking enough as it is!   :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2008, 21:09:35 PM »
It baffles me how a nutrionist can think a dry food will be the best thing for weight loss, I have tried Hills r/d and didn't rate it at all.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2008, 21:06:14 PM »
This is for you!  :evillaugh:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 21:02:23 PM »
Well, my cat went to see the nutritionist today.    He weighs 8.4kg (but he only has to get to 5.5kg as he is a large/long cat).  The nutrionist has surprise surprise....put on him on Hills R/D dry food.  He is to get 60g in total a day and once I've put their food down for my 2 cats I've to take what they haven't eatten away after 1 hour.   They currently get 2 meals a day - one at breakfast and one at dinner.   What I might do at night tho is split it up into 2 separate meals again as cats like to graze.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2008, 19:05:19 PM »
Mine liked it, but I am sticking with JWB, as I get a good deal on that, and can feed everyone in the house on the same thing, it also means that new owners are more likely to stick with it as well, as it is relatively easy to get hold of. Might get another small bag for Zi though, as she does need to lose some weight, but spent 17 years eating dry only, so I can only get so much wet into her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2008, 19:00:53 PM »
My lot are not that fussed with it and one stray wont even sniff it  :evillaugh: he likes purina one salmon, its almost like he knows that salmon is my most hated aroma  :sick:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2008, 18:23:23 PM »
I'm going to some Orjien samples for my cats to try.  I'd never heard of it before coming onto this forum - but anything that gets a thumbs up on here is worth a try.

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2008, 14:37:46 PM »
Well I just received my 400g sample pack of Orjien and I can honestly say both Nobo and Izzy love it!!! I'm much happier knowing they are eating something that's better for them.

;D

When I look at the ingredients I wish there were a human equivilent - I'm sure I would be a lot healthier for it  :evillaugh:

It just looks and smells wholesome  :Luv2:

Until a wet food is made to that standard, I will stick with it.

:rofl: :rofl: tell me about it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
Mosi has been eating Orijen for the dry portion of his diet and he loves it.  Jaffa does too when he gets a bit (usually only when I drop it on the floor!).  Since my zooplus order has not turned up  >:( he's slumming it with hi life dry at the moment though  ;D

AA - many cats like dry food because it's sprayed with animal fat or digest to make the unpalatable palatable.  It can be very addictive.  I agree about the different textures though (although Jaffa - like a lot of cats - swallows it whole so I don't think he exactly appreciates the texture!) and do like my cats to accept the texture of dry food in case I need them to have it in an emergency.  That's why I feed Mosi a small amount of dry.  I don't think there are any health benefits to feeding dry though and feed it very sparingly.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
Blips order of Porta 21 arrived on Friday and I have tried her with it over the weekend.  She loves it!  ;D  And here is an interesting thing: Zooplus sent some Porta 21 chicken by mistake and, although she will never normally touch chicken, Blip has even eaten a pouch of that!

So far I am seriously impressed with Porta 21 and Zooplus  :wow:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 10:25:55 AM »
Well I just received my 400g sample pack of Orjien and I can honestly say both Nobo and Izzy love it!!! I'm much happier knowing they are eating something that's better for them.

;D

When I look at the ingredients I wish there were a human equivilent - I'm sure I would be a lot healthier for it  :evillaugh:

It just looks and smells wholesome  :Luv2:

Until a wet food is made to that standard, I will stick with it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »
AA - the only thing you have to watch with HiLife is that some of their food is complimentary. I think the one you mention is one of their complete foods, but I haven't bought that one to know for certain. i like mine to have a mix of wet and dry, but do make sure it is a good quality dry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
I would love to be able to give mine a wet food diet but Ollie only eats a tiny bit of it and Harvey turns his nose up at it.   They used to eat wet food when they were babies until I started giving them a little bit of dry, now that's all they really want.    I do buy them wet food and try a couple of times each week but its really a waste of money.

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 03:42:20 AM »
Mitzy was on Whiskas when I got him. Their supermeat (And if anyone knows what meant they make "Origional flavour" with I would really like to know!) It smelt and looked horrible! That origional flavour more so than the rest. It was revolting! And the ingrediants? Don't even get me started! So I asked around and was recommended Hi life.

There's like 60% meat in there, named meat. Not meat and animal derivatives. I mean my tuna and chicken one is:
Tuna (min 55%) Chicken Garnish (min 5%)
Which is a big difference fromall whiskas supermeat
Meat and animal derivatives (min 4%)

And you would not believe the difference in him since I changed! I took him to my sisters for the unfortunate vet trip mitzy is complaining about elsewhere on this site and my sister was just like WOW! He is so different! He's fluffier, happier, more alert, brighter and just healthier. He looks amazing! He smells miles better too! And that's just a few short weeks with the change in effect. I've only just got rid of the spare whiskas cat food. Donated it to thornberries, although I felt bad giving them whiskas. But I couldn't dump it when thornberries cats need all the food they can get.

Now the dry vs wet debate is harder. Some people say all wet is the way to go, some say add dry. But the general consensus is that wet is best. But me personally? I have and will continue to add a little handful of dry to Mitzys wet food. Not entirely sure whether the dry is beneficial or not, but he likes it and I firmly believe in my theory that eating is an experience, not just something to do, but something to enjoy. Different textures and flavours are important in diet. I know myself and some of my pets get bored of the same things, so I always vary textures and flavours depending on my mood. Mitzy has no objection to this.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:43:16 AM by Amo_angelus »

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 00:38:56 AM »

But it is true, isnt it?  Our love, care, nutrition and medicine extends their lives beyond what their ancestors would have managed, so new problems arise that must be taken care of.  As I say, its the same with us too.  I think Im right in saying that the life expectancy of a stone age man was about 30 years...
[/quote]

Oh no - I would have been dead by now!!   :shocked:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2008, 21:52:41 PM »
I had to stop feeding Nobo and Izzy Whiskers as it made them fart non stop and their poos were really smelly. TMI I know, but hey ho..

:naughty:

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 16:13:54 PM »
We buy a big bag of James Well Beloved and mainly give our cats this but put a little of wet food from the Whiskers Pouches to signal 'tea time'.

It works though...we'v started to allow them outside and Binx who's the timid of the two is the most daring outside! God knows where he goes but he always comes back at 5:30PM for his food

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 21:50:13 PM »

;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 21:50:38 PM by Lynds »

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 15:02:57 PM »
My two seem to love hilife kitten they eat the whole lot. When they were on whiskers they would turn their nose up after bit and often certain flavours. Also because its like pate I can mixed the dry complete in with it and they LOVE it

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 14:59:56 PM »
Wow that's so interesting about the Hills dry, I learnt a lot in this thread. Last year Jess was on Hills and gained ALOT of weight on it and I guess that explains it especially as we didn't feel like we were feeding him much.

Now though Jess is on urinary food, with whiskers sprinkles on it (to get him to eat it) but no dry food.

Milo is on JWB biscuits and Felix pouches. I've tried Milo on Hi-Life and he wouldn't eat it, I tried to give Jess some too and he wouldn't touch it, so now we have almost a whole box and can't use it. I'd like to try Milo on a wet food that had a higher meat content in but I'm not sure which one.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 22:06:59 PM »
All the new range is complete, even adult, but I dont rate it, have had to give loads away - I could have sent you some, but I only have senior left - 2 boxes until I find a cat that likes them!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 19:41:30 PM »
Hannikat, does the hi life kitten now say complementary on it if its missing the taurine?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 19:09:31 PM »
I think it was up until victorian times  :Crazy:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 19:04:17 PM »

Of course, if she had been living a natural life in the wild, she would have been long gone by now so the problem wouldnt have arisen.

:( :(

But it is true, isnt it?  Our love, care, nutrition and medicine extends their lives beyond what their ancestors would have managed, so new problems arise that must be taken care of.  As I say, its the same with us too.  I think Im right in saying that the life expectancy of a stone age man was about 30 years...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 18:56:42 PM »
I spoke to the vet, and he recommended a dry food diet, although I am not convinced by this. He wouldn't recommend a brand though !!  :P

Very interesting. Do they do hi life in kitten pouches ? 

That sounds about par for the course  :shify:  Most vets get virtually no training in nutrition so I take their nutritional advice with a pinch of salt since most of it comes from pet food manufacturers.  If it was dietary advice for a particular condition, I would listen to the vet (initially at leat) but for general nutrition for a healthy cat I think I have done more study on the subject than the average vet  ;D

I'm very grateful that I have 2 cats who will eat anything I give them.  There's been the odd thing they aren't too keen on but nothing they have refused to eat.

Of course, if she had been living a natural life in the wild, she would have been long gone by now so the problem wouldnt have arisen.

:( :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 18:45:52 PM »
I believe the Nutrifyba is Psyllium and the Orijen certainly contains it, along with glucosamine.  Blips anal gland problem means she has to have a high-fibre diet so there have to be plants or cereals in her diet.  I am certainly convinced by the predominantly meat / fish argument but equally, Blip must get her roughage and I am sure she is not alone in needing some.

Of course, if she had been living a natural life in the wild, she would have been long gone by now so the problem wouldnt have arisen.  But I hope to have her around for a while yet  :)

My point is that our care for our cats has extended their lives so much that new requirements arise - just like with people, I guess.

Such an interesting and important topic  :Luv:

Link to CatChat