Author Topic: new kitten and older cat dont get on  (Read 1400 times)

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
Re: new kitten and older cat dont get on
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 18:06:54 PM »
Yes I agree that you should get two kittens.  An older cat is not up to the playfulness of a kitten and soon will show aggression or bat the new kitten away.  I recently read an article about how an older cat can feel very intruded upon by a single kitten living in the same space.   However, things go much more smoothly if there are two kittens because the two kittens will play with each other and leave the older cat alone.   Yep, I think you need another kitten in the house! :rofl: 

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 20:21:26 PM »
Hi
,Thanks all for your help.I did think about getting 2 kittens rather than just one.But then we thought it maybe even worse for Amy having to boisterous kittens taking over.
zev

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 19:51:30 PM »
Any ideas, not use to having two cats around, even less use to having a kitten.

Thats how she will be feeling, extra cuddles and attention for her and you could try to divert his attention away with toys, this is is why i feel kittens should go in pairs - they need someone of a similar age to mess about with!

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 17:49:37 PM »
Awww poor Amy, what a shame, having her nice comfy home invaded by a young whippersnapper. I remember when we were considering introducing another kitten to a hand reared cat my mum has we were searching for advice online and all the advice pages talked about fighting or aggression between cats meeting for the first time, they didn't seem to mention much about those sensitive souls who just get all anxious about it. In the end my mum decided not to get another cat because the handreared one is just SO sensitive, she simply would not deal with another. She's an extreme case though.

I'm sure someone will have some better advice but my only advice is that if Amy is still eating, drinking, using her tray and cleaning herself then she will hopefully cheer up about the situation soon, lots of love for her and special Amy time might help and the kitten will eventually grow up a bit and become a bit nicer for her to be around in time  :(

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 17:31:16 PM »
Hi, We have the plug in feliway, sorry to say it hasn't worked. We do let Amy sleep on our bed and she spends all her time in between eating there too. It can be bit of a nuisance at night when Amy wants to go out at 4.30 in the morning lol. Ole is morn calmer on our bed. Its just when she comes into the living area when he torments her. Feel so sorry for her.Thanks for replying
zev

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 14:13:24 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Zev.

There are others better qualified than I to advise on this, but you might like to try Feliway to relax Amy?  You can buy sprays or plug-ins from VetUK (and if you click through from one of the participating rescues, that rescue gets a donation at no extra cost to you).

Otherwise, as she is tolerating kitten Ole up to a point, I would say it is a matter of reassurance and patience, as well as giving her a place to get away from him when she has had enough of him.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
new kitten and older cat dont get on
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 23:46:29 PM »
Hi,
We have a older cat of 4 half years old and we got a kitten few weeks ago.The older cat Amy dose not like the kitten Ole who is 14 weeks old. What I don't understand is that they will sleep together on our bed, a few feet apart..This is where Amy spends most of her time now except to eat. But when they are together downstairs Amy will hiss and hit out at Ole. I wonder could this be because Ole 's sent is mainly downstairs and that is putting Amy of being downstairs with us. I worry because Amy is usually such a sweet cat and I miss her being with us. We do try and spend sometime upstairs with Amy. Play with her and make a fuss. Not sure what else we can do to encourage Amy back downstairs without pushing her to much.She is a bit nervous at the moment. And is uneasy when she thinks Ole is around. Any ideas, not use to having two cats around, even less use to having a kitten.
zev

Link to CatChat