Author Topic: East Surrey Cats Protection  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 15:27:56 PM »
Lovely, well done Ebony  ;D

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 22:25:37 PM »
Ebony is babe  :Luv: :Luv: hope she gets adopted soon.

Yes she is so gorgeous that my mum and dad have adopted her. She's very sprightly for a 17yr old elderly lady and has been enjoying all the attention!!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 16:29:19 PM »
If you dont have kids you dont qualify for much  >:(

It doesnt surprise me they often dont bother to use the vouchers, you can offer to do everything for some people and they still cant manage to keep the cat in ready for collection  :tired:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 19:40:19 PM »
I'm with you now. But probably most folks on a low income are on benefits anyway?  :sneaky: If someone contacts us asking for a voucher and seems genuinely keen and has the best welfare of the cat at heart, then of course we issue a voucher irrespective of benefits.  ;)

You would be surprised, though, MM, just how many people ask for vouchers, get issued with them but they never bother to make the appointment and take the cat in. Poor Sally, our voucher lady, once spent 4 weeks chasing up a woman who begged for help but then couldn't be  :censored: to call the vet.  :tired: And of course all these vouchers take up valuable time in admin, phone calls, and funds tied up until we get them cancelled. It's not like they are like gold dust as we make them as easy to acquire as we can - unlike some other places - and it sticks in the throat when folks don't appreciate them, if you know what I mean?  :shify:

Er... rant over.  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 17:36:58 PM »
Some time back ela posted the info that came with her vouchers and it said that benefits werent essential, a low income qualifies.

it won't last long if we don't target it to genuine cases.

If someone wont find the money to spay the cat its no different to someone who cant afford to, either way the cat wont get done unless vouchers are given so i feel both cases are 'genuine'.
I also hit similar problems trying to get vouchers for my ferals, luckily my vet gives a good discount and i find the money but most people would have given up, im not fussy whos womb is removed aslong as its gone, brad pitts cat or not  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 23:24:38 PM »
I do think there is a regional variation as to how much HQ give branches each year. There is some scope for individual branches to decide exactly how they spend that money but the HQ guidelines are there for when folks really are taking the mick out of the system! This year we recieved something like £2000 in our neutering budget, which although is a darn sight more than independents get in public donations, it won't last long if we don't target it to genuine cases.

We've noticed that some bigger branches have bigger budgets and this seems to be reflected in them being in a better position to help in certain situations. As I say, we can always ask for more if we need to but are a small branch compared to most and have to justify when we ask for top up funds.  :) ;)

Still waiting to hear what MM was trying to explain...  :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 22:34:38 PM »
When I Rang for the second lot, they hinted at the fact they had to pay as a branch for vouchers. Ela has posted about not needing to be on benefits though. There certainly are two kinds of vouchers, the first lot I requested last week are full price, the second are a part payment with the owner having to pay something - the second lot were for someone on a means tested benefit, I didn't ask the first lot, and it wasn't one of the questions they got me to ring her back with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 22:32:01 PM »
I asked my CP for 8 vouchers last week for people who had approached me for help, and they didn't ask for any proof of benefits - all were sent, vet confirmed they received them today.

All CP branches get an allocated 'budget' each year to spend on neutering - perhaps this group has still got plenty of funds left so not so concerned about proof of income, Desley? Maybe they took your word that these folks are in genuine need?  :shy:

We can apply for up top funds if our allocation runs out, but the guidelines as far as I'm aware is that to qualify for the full cost on neutering to be covered, you need to be on benefits. There are also vouchers to cover part of the cost up to £26 for females and £20 for males. Not sure if these need to be meant tested. Mind you, I don't deal with the vouchers in our group.

If CP have changed the rules about who qualifies for help, then why have the second 'part cost' vouchers? And they certainly haven't issued any new guidelines that I've heard of.  :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 21:58:27 PM »
I asked my CP for 8 vouchers last week for people who had approached me for help, and they didn't ask for any proof of benefits - all were sent, vet confirmed they received them today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 21:56:26 PM »
I notice on you neutering page it says you need to be on benefits to get help, anybody can qualify now, it was suggested i let HQ know when i see this on CP pages so they can resend updated neutering info but thought it easier to point it out here/contact individual branches.  :shy:

Is that right, MM?  :shify: HQ's own website says to qualify for help you need to be on means tested benefits or a student.  :-:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 19:13:44 PM »
Debbie, if you are a worker or a vol for CP, please contact Tan (the admin on here) and ask her for rescue member status :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 19:01:12 PM »
Hi

Ebony is babe  :Luv: :Luv: hope she gets adopted soon.

I notice on you neutering page it says you need to be on benefits to get help, anybody can qualify now, it was suggested i let HQ know when i see this on CP pages so they can resend updated neutering info but thought it easier to point it out here/contact individual branches.  :shy:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 18:48:02 PM »
If you are interested in rehoming any of our cats, fostering, volunteering or making a donation then please visit our branch website or contact me. Thanks.
website- http://eastsurrey.cats.org.uk/index.asp
Donations- http://eastsurrey.cats.org.uk/content/donateform.asp

Link to CatChat