Author Topic: How long before you gave your kitten/cat run of the house?  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How long before you gave your kitten/cat run of the house?
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 15:32:08 PM »
Yeah, I have since seen that post, can't say I rate the breeder.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 16:53:05 PM »
What kind of place did you get the kitten from that they aren't fully litter trained?

From a 'breeder', see http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1689.0
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 16:34:05 PM »
My lot were given full run of the house as soon as they arrived home.  They were picked up and put in their litter trays so they knew where they were and then left to explore.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 15:13:25 PM »

They've asked for a door key but I've said no  :evillaugh:

Well thats a first :) Is it because they have there own doorman :rofl: :rofl:

You know how it is ... give em a key .... their friends get invited round .... you come home from work to a catnip den. I can't take that risk.  :shy:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 13:34:30 PM »
What kind of place did you get the kitten from that they aren't fully litter trained? I think if they are tiny, and you have a large house, I Woudl put a couple of trays round initially (maybe one on each floor), so she doesn't get confused as to where it is.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 13:17:09 PM »

[/quote]

Well thats a first :) Is it because they have there own doorman :rofl: :rofl:

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »
Billy and Baggy stayed in their room for two days, then gradually explored out around the house from there. They came downstairs on the third day and have had the freedom of the house since then.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
I had Mia at 7 weeks, and she stayed in the living room for 1 week, and then she was allowed in the hall and stairs under supervision for another week, then she had free reign. At first I was worried that she was too small to manage the stairs properly, but she grew fast!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 17:33:49 PM »
When I got Jaffa he was 8 weeks old and I kept him and his brother Magpie in the living room and kitchen (half the flat) for a couple of weeks, although that was mainly because I had a hamster at the time in my bedroom!  Then I let them explore the hall and bathroom, and eventually the bedroom under supervision.  Mosi was 14 weeks when I got him and he had full run of the flat after he'd been here about 6 hours (as soon as I was happy he knew where the litter tray was and had used it).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 15:16:44 PM »
When Jess arrived he had full run of the house stright away, he loved the stairs as he hadn't seen them before and now we let him have the full run except we don't let him go in the bathroom or dining room as he keep jumping on the table and we've only had it 3 weeks. He was quite confident right from the start even though we were told he was nervous.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 15:13:51 PM »
I'd have to agree, take your cue from the cat. All cats can react differently to moving house/changing owner. Mine have all had free rein pretty much right from the start - IcklePest and Charley didn't go out at first, but that was cos Ickle was too small to use the cat flap (couldn't reach, even on tippy toes) and Charley just didn't know what it was for the first few days. I've never had an only cat though, and I'm guessing that might make a difference to how confident your cats are..
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 15:06:04 PM »
I don't know about kittens to be honest, but I was told by the rescue I adopted Lexy from to take my cues from her. After a few days in one room, she started trying to follow me out, so I let her and kept other doors in the house closed. It took about a week after and she started wanted to get to the rest of the house, but she is still, even 10 months later, very wary of the kitchen. She always walks into the back part of the house very very slowly (she was very timid so there is a reason behind this).

Your kitten may be different. You are wise though to get her litter trained first.

I did have a funny one once, where Lexy was in her tray having a number 2 and I moved and it scared her so much she jumped out mid "business"!  So I had to walk with a tissue after her to go collect the little droplet trail she left me :rofl: ...thankfully easy to clean, hugely funny, but made me careful not to disrupt her when she's going....a hooded tray works wonders for this! :rofl:

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
How long before you gave your kitten/cat run of the house?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 15:01:51 PM »
How long should i wait before i let our kitten have free reign of the house.  Shes not quite litter trained yet so i need to do this first but once this is achieved, shall i let her have free reign.  We've only had her 4 days.

We will be at full time from next week and she cries loudly during the day being in the lounge.  Maybe its frustrating her being in one room because she had alot more free reign at the breeders house.

How long did you wait before letting your little ones explore?

Link to CatChat