Author Topic: Yet another trip to the vets  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Yet another trip to the vets
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 23:34:56 PM »
22 Feb, great we can have another party  ;D

Misa says can we have whiskers topping please, loads of it not the measly amount his human gives him as a treat  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 14:17:25 PM »
Thanks for that; Tonka is back to his old self now he has stared to run round with the other cats (not bad for an old boy that will be 15 on the 22nd February), so that makes me a happy mummy, ;D

I have got the tests back for Merlin and yes he has got the Calici Virus, but he is doing OK at the moment, I have just weighed him and he goes 12lb not bad for a cat that will be 10 months old on the 6th February.
The vet said to keep an eye on him and when he starts to become unwell I will take him back to her
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 16:17:56 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »
Sorry I didn't spot this either....

I use www.vetuk.co.uk for Tiggy's Fortekor, they are £10.64 for 28, can't fault them - free delivery and as an example I ordered some of Tiggy's other tablets early Friday morning (they already had the prescription on file) and they were delivered Saturday morning.  I've also used www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk (£12.04 for 28), can't faul't them either it's just that vetuk are slighty cheaper for the other tablets that Tiggy takes aswell.

As Desley said you will need to ask your vet to give you the prescription for it, ask for a repeat prescription if possible and then you can order 1 months worth at a time and vetuk will hold the prescription on file for you.  By law a vet has to give you a prescription and they cannot charge for doing so. 

How is Tonka doing now?  Tiggy sends him a gentle head kiss.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 07:48:03 AM »
Sorry nobody has noticed this PAree - if you use somewhere like VetUK or BestPEt Pharmacy, the tabs will be legit, and your vets have to give you a free prescription by law. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 22:17:31 PM »
The vet has giving Tonka another week on Baytril because his gums are still red raw, he has lost more weight and he is now down to 4.3Kg. Before he had the opp he went 4.5Kg and before he became ill he was 5.1Kg, he is still feeling very sorry for himself but he tried to have a little play today so hopefully he is on the up. In 7-10 days I have to start him on FORTEKOR PAL for his kidneys, that is if he is a lot better. These tablets have just cost me £25 for 28 tab’s, I have just searched on line and there are numerous on line pharmacy’s selling these at less than half price, they seem to be legit, and all require a prescription, has anyone tried these successfully or otherwise?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 14:44:17 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 19:11:44 PM »
Just thought I'll let you all know, Tonka is feelling a lot better today he's had 3 meals so far and he is becoming very vocal again

That's great news. Good luck for tomorrow - let us know how Tonka gets on.

:hug: and fingers crossed...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 19:04:40 PM »
Just thought I'll let you all know, Tonka is feelling a lot better today he's had 3 meals so far and he is becoming very vocal again
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 22:04:59 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed for Wed. I do hope you can find a good solution - I would have thought the diet route would have been better, but will be hard in your situation. You wouldn't be able to feed them all renal food all the time anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 19:15:42 PM »
Hi all, Tonka is not so good at the moment, doesn't want to eat his chicken and I had to get his tablets changed because it gave him the runs, so the vet gave me Pro-Kolin  + to stop that, I have to give him 1ml 3 times a day by syringe so he is not very happy as his mouth is very painful. Got to take him back to the vets on Wednesday for a checkup. She will discuss with if we have to go with diet or tablets for his kidney problem. I would prefer tablets as having 5 cats in the house, they have food down 24 hours a day and there a bit long in the tooth to start changing them to special food, so if I can give him tablets so they can still eat the same food that would be better. I'll let you know how I get along on Wednesday.
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 15:24:51 PM »
How is he doing now Paree?
Please spay your cat

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 14:14:29 PM »
Hubby’s picked up Tonka, they tried to charge us for the overnight stay, but he is home now and has had two small meals of chicken
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 19:21:27 PM »
I am sorry to hear the news wasn't as good as it could have been, but the fact it is early is a good sign - having this dental could actually give him longer as it may have been picked up a lot sooner than it woudl have done otherwise. Your vets do sound incredibly expensive though, I didn't pay that much for a drip when Pebbles had her leg amputated, and she was actually on it quite a while. Bet you can't wait to see Tonka, and it would now be better for your vet to take them all out so that there isn't the risk of that tooth needing anythign in the future.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 18:14:28 PM »
So sorry to hear that Tonka has CRF but there is loads of info in our links section on this now. Ihope that she is home soon.

I am amazed how expensive some vets are cos Ducha had teeth out at end of summer and they put him on a drip cos of his age and he also stayed there the night before because I live so far away and the price which included chipping him and also after care check up was around £120 I think. Also included meds as well.

He had to go back on the Saturday cos he wasnt eating or using a tray and he had another injection cos cant get tablets into him............and neither can vets  :rofl:...........and they said that came within the price cos it was considered aftercare.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 16:50:53 PM »
That is so sad what happened to Blue, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling.  :'( In your first post you said that Tonka had early CRF, I shouldn't think his numbers would be anywhere near as bad as poor Blue's, there is so much that can be done for cats with CRF so while it's terrible news at least you have caught it early.

When you feel able have another look at the CRF site, there are others on here who have cats with CRF and I'm sure we will all be happy to share our experiences and advice.  Please keep us updated on Tonka, when you see him please give him a gentle head kiss from me and Tiggy.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 16:40:42 PM »
Thanks for that Helen I have read some of the link, but I’m crying as I read it so I have stopped at the moment I lost a cat with it last March, his name was Blue one of his count was just under 700 and the other was just under 60, I just don’t want Tonka to get as bad as Blue, Blue was unwell on the Tuesday night took him to the vets on the Wednesday the vet could not find anything wrong with him, I took him back on the Thursday he took some blood did not get the tests back until Saturday not good. My hubby took him to have him PTS on the Monday, he was so bad and crying all the time, 
A cat is for life

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 15:22:58 PM »
Poor Tonka, has he actually had the op yet or are they waiting til after he's had fluids?  If he has to stay at the vets, which although is upsetting for you he really is in the best place, maybe you could take him an old jumper or something that smells of you.

Sorry to hear about the CRF diagnosis, when you get a moment please have a look at this website, www.felinecrf.org  My Tiggy was diagnosed 18 months ago (at the age of 17) and is still going strong so it is not always as bad as you may think.  There is a lot to take in about CRF but the website I linked to is very easy to digest and very thorough. 

Come on Tonka, get well soon - your Mum needs you back home  ;D

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 14:40:20 PM »
Just phoned the vet Tonka is not coming home tonight  :(
A cat is for life

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 13:14:56 PM »
Not good news, the blood test we had done on Tonka has shown up he has early CRF the vet is going to chat with me in 5 days time to see about treatment for him, when he has got over the opp. the bad news the vet bill has just gone up to £190 because he has been on a drip, (but we love them)

The vet has said he may not be coming home today as she can not give him a long lasting pain killing injection because of the CRF, and if he is in a lot of pain she wants to keep him at the vets until Friday, but good news she will keep him at the vets for free
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
I nearly swore at that one then!! Snowy had all her teeth taken out in one go, it was 15 months before she died (nothing related to her teeth, she had liver issues), and no further mouth probs, Ginger lost his over a period of just over 2 years (yet 3 dentals), he had prob 2 years and again, no further mouth probs - and his were worse than hers, he would get really red gums that would hamper his eating. Initially his were so bad he had to lick his food into his mouth, he couldnt actually eat properly, yet it didn't affect him at all, and they agreed to take a healthy tooth out because of his history with dental probs and his age, it was better for him not to go under an anaesthetic.
Please spay your cat

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 22:15:14 PM »
The vet said that if she could help it, she would prefer not to remove the last remaining fang, as she is afraid it might make his jaw unstable??
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 13:22:45 PM »
I would demand all his teeth out - I had the same prob with Ginger, he lost his teeth over 3 dentals, and at the last one, he had 6 teeth left and only one good one - they were happy to take all out as soon as I said this would be his third dental in as many years, he was about 13 then and overweight. I would stick with the pre-op blood tests though, but that and the anaesthetic still seems high though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
Poor little lad .... to be honest it seems a bit pointless leaving behind 1 tooth .... he's not exactly going to be able to do much with 1 tooth is he.  I would ask her to remove all his teeth that way you will be sure that he won't have to go through this again.

Good luck for Thursday and big hugs to Tonka  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
Hi Em Tonka will be 15 in February and his last lot of teeth he had out was over a year ago, so we thought it would be better to go ahead with them

In that case i would Deff have the tests done.

Good luck for Thursday, i am sure he will be fine

Michelle x

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Hi Em Tonka will be 15 in February and his last lot of teeth he had out was over a year ago, so we thought it would be better to go ahead with them
A cat is for life

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »
You should be able to opt out of the blood tests? Especially if he's been in recently.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
Yet another trip to the vets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
Just had another trip to the vets, with Tonka this time, I've been told that his last three teeth have got to come out, so that will leave him with just one fang?
When he went to have his teeth out last time, I asked her to take them all out because he was getting on I did not want him to keep having an anaesthetic, >:( but she left three behind and said they were ok, so this time she has said I will only have to pay for the anaesthetic and pre-opp blood tests and she will do the operation free of charge, but the bill is still £130.00, so he is going in on Thursday
A cat is for life

Link to CatChat