Author Topic: Behaviourist, waste of money  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Behaviourist, waste of money
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 18:46:55 PM »
If Charlie bites I hiss loudly and he stops immediately.  Since I have been doing this he rarely bites at all

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 18:14:55 PM »
Its different for dogs as they are pack animals and the owner needs to be pack leader. Cats dont need a pack so dont care  :evillaugh:

Maybe hes just a cat who doesnt want to be picked up? Lola gets angry when i pick her up so i only do it when neccessary eg to go in a basket

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 18:10:04 PM »
Yes he is neutered

I do not pull away I read to hold my hand there which does work because he starts to lick it.  The problem is the snapping when I try to stroke him or pick him up.  I have tried squirriting him with water which he ignored.  Watched the dog whisperer, he says aggresion can come from nervous, unsure animals and I need to be in control, in charge and assertive.  How do I do this?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 17:11:17 PM »
This is a good article about aggression

http://www.messybeast.com/nervous.htm

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 17:06:45 PM »
Is he neutered?

When he bites you blow at his face, this nearly always works. The other important thing is not to screech or scream or try to pull away, makes it more of an enjoyable fight for him.

When Tabithas brothers hassle her i get a small spray bottle out and swish the water in it. I only had to squirt them once for them to know what it is so a swish is enough to stop them  :tired:

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 17:02:04 PM »
Hi

I have a very aggresive 7 month old.  Can you give me some advice - Maddiesmum - now he's getting some much bigger when he bites he really does bite.  He attacks my older cat, and I get very fearfull and upset. 
Could you recommend some books with chapters on aggression there are so many.

Thanks

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 16:47:52 PM »
what a nightmare - I think a lot of it is common sense, our vet refers to Vicky Halls and I know she charges £250

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 19:18:34 PM »
Thanks  ;D

I will have to get Sasa to the vet next week cos she is due her boosters but also to get him to look at her tummy which she is just licking all the fur off everytime it grows. The rest of her coat is all grown again now but she will not leave her tummy alone, all I can see is a big pink jelly belly and of course I cant touch her.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 19:04:32 PM »
The over grooming just stopped (well 99% of it has) when he stopped feeling so stressed. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 19:02:13 PM »
How did you stop the over grooming or was it just part of him being less stressed?

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 14:13:53 PM »
Well done I am really pleased that his over grooming etc has stopped - as I said previously I know where to come for advice if any of mine have any odd behaviour problems
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 13:50:01 PM »
Yvonne, he became aggressive towards me, attacking me for no obvious reason, he was also extremely nervous and jumpy and destructive.  Plus he was consantly seeking out very high places (on top of the kitchen units) and over grooming.  99% of this behaviour has now stopped. 

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 13:44:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have lost so much money for no good reason.  I hope that Charlie continues to improve - incidentally what was he doing?

At least I now know where to come for advice if one of mine starts playing up   ;)

Anybody know how to stop kittens from shredding the net curtains??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Since I took some time out to read up lots on cat behaviour both in books and on the internet, I have changed the way I interact with Charlie.  For the most part he is great again now.  We just have the occasional outburst but I am more able to deal with it.  I would certainly go down the route of vet referral if I needed a behaviourist's services again. 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »
I got done by a behaviourist when Max was spraying all over the house in SA as well. I'm so sorry. There are just  :censored:s out there who take advantage of our desperation. Hope Charlie's not too stressed today  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 21:49:55 PM »
So hard and how does one trust anybody.

I just hope that you and Charlie progress with each other  and have a happy life together  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 19:54:35 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 19:49:55 PM »
Well as I said previously he may do a good job overall but I was not impressed and wish I had saved my money.  There you go, lesson learned.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 19:32:42 PM »
On this guys website it says he is a member of the right places I think!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 19:30:32 PM »
Sorry hun  :hug:  Sounds like you got a dud :(

Difficult to know how to go about getting a good behaviourist as there is not standard qualification, but I'd definitely get your vet to recommend one or at least make sure they are a member of association of pet behaviour cousellors (or the other organisation - forget what it's called).  Incidentally, members of the association are only allowed to take on cases on referral from vets.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 16:01:01 PM »
 >:( He shouldn't be selling you any goods, recomendations if part of treatment yes but thats awful hun. Def need to know who this guy is so we dont go near him!

Well done for finding a way to help Chalie reduce his stress levels and ya know it really helps to find something that works for you too hun cause Charlie will sence yours and it will increase his!  It works other way to cause if Charlie is feeling better, you also feel better :)
Looks the harp music will be the trick whenever ys both feeling stressed.

xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 15:56:41 PM »
 >:( Grrr.....what a scam artist. I'm so sorry that happened Chrissie. Hope Charlie is less stressed.

I'm hoping to complete my advanced feline psych this year and when the course is accredited beginning of next year I already have three local vets who have agreed to use me for referral purposes. (My tutor for the final case study is Vicky Halls - she knows her stuff, so I'm really chuffed!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 14:01:39 PM »
This is truely awful and he definately doesnt know what he is doing except fror getting money under false pretences. Most insurances now give money for a behaviorist and its pretty standard at £250 with referral from a vet.

So I would suggest he is a real scammer and maybe a call to CAB or the governments site for .......cant think what its calleed but covers fair tradinf and the like would provide some advice.

I think you definately need your money back.

I would also like the web addy please.

I hope that you and Charlie are doing better now  cos Charlie sounds such a lovely little man :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
Flipping heck I didn't realise that you had spent that much! We paid £85!

Gillian is spot on though they should only work on a referal from the vets (I didn't think of this before)

Also if he isn't registered I'd be inclined to try and contact him and get your money back - how I don't know!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »
Don't think he is a member Gillian.  There was no vet referral though he did ask for details of my vet.  I told him Charlie had been given the all clear healthwise and the vet had said it was behavioural.  I feel stupid reallly, I was at the end of my tether and just jumped in with both feet instead of going through the proper routes etc.

I am not saying that he doesn't know what he is doing or anything or that he is no good at what he does do, just that I felt he didn't really take much of an interest in Charlie, rushed me through everything and was more concerned about money and selling stuff than anything else.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »
Thats appalling! Is he a member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors? You can find out from here http://www.apbc.org.uk/regions.php . Pet behaviorists shoud only work on veterinary referral (because of the potential physical/behavioural links) If he is a member of the APBC then they would take a very dim view of his working methods, if he isnt a member he should still only work on vet referral, so he is totally unprofessional. What a shame, because as you say, there are good behaviorists out there. Can you pm me his website details too pls.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
Think Tanya Byrom is wonderful, used to love watching House of Tiny Tearaways.

She is amazing! I would follow her to the end of the world and back.....what powers!  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
Have pm'd you Ruth.  Good point BM but I was at the end of my tether worrying about Charlie's stress levels and behaviour and you don't always think totally rationally then.  He (Charlie) had reduced me to tears on the day I contacted the behaviourist in question.

Think Tanya Byrom is wonderful, used to love watching House of Tiny Tearaways.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
OMG What a rip off!  >:(

Most of what you need to know is common sense.....Id say follow some of Dr Tanya Byrons tips...yes I know its for children but its all basic psychology that does the trick!  ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
 :oh noo: Chrissie, no!!!

Honey, I think you've been scammed. There is no way a behaviourist should push you to buy anything. CAn you PM me his website, to see what his description of services are?

£410!!!!  >:(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Behaviourist, waste of money
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
Due to Charlie's ongoing stress/behaviour problems I decided in my infinite wisdom to bring in a behaviourist.  Well to say I am not impressed is putting it mildly.  I completed an assessment form via email and the behaviourist came for a home visit.  There was absolutely no interaction with Charlie and I felt rushed from the moment he entered the house.  He had compiled a 30 page report/treatment plan based solely on the email assessment and rattled through it like a bat out of hell.  I asked him would it be ok to interrupt if I had questions at any point and he told me if I did so it would end up costing me more! He then proceeded to sell me a cat scratching post (which is actually a good one except I have to obtain and fit the sisal rope!), a clicker, some discs, a book he wrote and a pet corrector spray thing. 

I followed his instructions to the letter for a day and a half and the result was a MORE stressed out and nervous cat.  So I got out all the behaviour books I have bought over the past few weeks, trawled the internet and spent ages gaining an understanding of why Charlie's behaviour had deteriorated.  Guess what?  I came up with my own treatment plan which includes lots of treats for good behaviour, ignoring of bad behaviour, structured play therapy sessions and lots of Charlie instigated interaction.  It is working fine and Charlie is much more content, happy, playful and his aggression has almost disappeared.

So much for £410 although I am not dissing all behaviourists, I believe Leanne had success with the one she used and I am sure there are plenty out there who do a good job.  Just think I must have picked the wrong one.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:53:55 AM by Maddiesmum »

Link to CatChat