Author Topic: Cat harness  (Read 2135 times)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
Re: Cat harness
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 14:27:24 PM »
I used cat harnesses on my kittens in our garden.

It did, however, give Flynn (the silver one) a real taste of the outdoors and he was desperate to get outside from that time on. We have now had the garden catproofed so all is well.

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
I too am anti harness after hearing of cats that have lost their life to them. Even when on a harness in there own garden it is not unknown for a cat to lose its life. This topic has been discussed a few times before and one of these where we have to agree to disagree.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
Our boys only go in the garden I wouldn't dream of taking them out of the garden on their harnesses.

Just recently Jess has been going out without his but there is no way we could do that with Milo.

Milo tolorates his harness but there have been times he has been spooked and bolted for the back door dragging me along too, he does try to bite it off as well but hasn't yet. I wouldn't ever let Jess or Milo be outdoor cats, purely because Jess is far too nervous and Milo has no common sense.

If we didn't have a garden they would never go out.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 20:11:15 PM »
The other thing to bear in mind is that if you are going to let them out more on a harness, you need to make sure flea and worm treatments are up to date, as well as vacc's.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 19:39:33 PM »
 :rofl: @ puffball

Glad marley got home ok Lisa, i saw a missing cat ad for one who had escaped still wearing the harness, doesnt bare thinking about what she could have strung herself up on  :scared:

Offline SuzeB

• Adult Cat
  • Maisie, Genghis and Fred. RIP Loki.
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
My OH has said that NO WAY will he walk a cat on a lead (he's one of these types that pretend to just tolerate the cats, but you find him giving them treats and cuddling them at every opportunity) and I don't think I could handle 3 on my own so doesn't look like I'll be trying it any time soon!

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 00:51:07 AM »
I felt guilty about keeping Willow indoors so got her a harness (which she didn't mind at all) and took her to the local park last summer. After carefully choosing a corner of the park where there were no dogs nearby I let her out on an extendable lead. 30 mins later... I've crawled through bushes & undergrowth trying to untangle her lead, been stung by stingy nettles and am very stressed. The cat was fine but her long hair has picked up sticky seed pods, twigs and lots of other debris. When i got her home it took almost an hour to get it all out, she definitely didn't enjoy that part of her outside adventures  :rofl: She's now a totally indoor cat and seems very content but if I had a garden I could cat proof I wouldn't hesitate to let her out again

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 21:28:13 PM »
Thing that worries me is when I lived at home with parents & we had moved, we kept Marley in for the 2 weeks. Me being the worrier I am I thought as soon as we let him out he would do a runner, so we got him a harness. He was fine in the house but as soon as we got comfortable walking around the garden, the neighbour came out & called her husband to come see 'the cat on the harness' & Marley got freaked & got out of it in a  split second. He then ran off at 100mph! He did come back thank god  but with Leo, he has never even had access to the outside world. He doesn't know all the potential dangers that lurk so wouldn't last 5 Min's if he came across a road. If Marley got out of the harness I'm 100% sure Leo would be able too & quicker.

Also as you mentioned, Id hate for him to be pining to go out when he couldnt all the time. He can't miss what he has never had..My dad does make me feel bad though as he doesnt think its normal for a cat to be indoors 24/7. (sorry sliding off subject)

Ive figured that until I move into a house I will wait until I introduce Leo to the outside world.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 21:32:41 PM by lisa77 »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 18:39:12 PM »
I think harnesses can do more harm than good, iv heard of quite a few indoor cats having to be rehomed after getting the taste of the great outdoors but not being able to have it so something to think about if you cant offer it to them full time.

Always make sure they are happy wearing the harness before taking outside

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 18:25:29 PM »
My Benglies love to go "walkies" I use Walking Jackets instead of harnesses and they love them, if anyone needs details I can give you the details of where I get mine made.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline SuzeB

• Adult Cat
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 15:37:43 PM »
I have a large and beautiful park near me and I thought maybe I might take the cats for a wander (not the kittens til they're older though obviously).  However, one I don't know if they'd like it, and two what if a dog tried to chase them?

What has been your experience with it?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 15:34:26 PM »
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=597&pf_id=4381

This is the kitten one which I have for Milo, and I also have the cat version for Jess both from petplanet, I have no issues with either to be honest. You do need them fairly tight of they will try to escape from them Jesshas done on many occasions but because his nervous when he does he bolts for the door.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 15:31:46 PM »
I do will just try and find the link for you

Offline SuzeB

• Adult Cat
    • PubQuizzy
Cat harness
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 15:09:42 PM »
Does anyone use one of these to take their cat for a walk?

Link to CatChat