Author Topic: Archie caught a mouse, what would you do  (Read 7889 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Archie caught a mouse, what would you do
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 16:27:26 PM »
It's so upsetting, Alison  :hug:  My OH has finished off a number of Blip's catches over the years as she seems unwilling or unable to do so herself.  But I was on my own not so long ago when I found a half-dead mouse.  I gently took it outside, but it died while I was plucking up courage to euthanase it.  I too feel guilty that I wasn't able to spare it some of its suffering.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 16:14:31 PM »
Rescued a baby housemartin last Wednesday, the cats must have thought it was their birthdays with babies falling out of the sky when the nest next door collapsed.  Cats 1 Lesley 1.  Managed to keep it going for a couple of days and it has now gone to lady who deals with rescued birds. It was no bother except at 3am when it would decide to start chirping. :shocked:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 15:49:24 PM »
Any vet will pts injured wildlife free of charge for you  :hug: In that situation i would leave them to finish the job themselves, i would rather them do it than me. If they have something freshly caught and fully alive then i do my best to get it, i kept a fledgling last year for a few days before it went to live in rehab ready for release, was out digging worms in the early hours  :tired:

Simon found a blackbird chick yesterday and the parents were going balistic at him, divebombing and screaming  :scared: :scared: i didnt manage to save it  :(

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 14:42:55 PM »
As painful as it feels for you - you must finish it off to end the suffering, the poor thing might have internal damages and will be in shock. Take it from someone who had to finish off a huge pigeon the other week - I'm such a wimp, I can't even kill a mosquito.  It's horrible but you have to be cruel to be kind.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Archie caught a mouse
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 14:29:13 PM »
you have my sympathy Alison on my way out to work this morning I found a wing under the table in the hall - finding the rest is my task for this evening!!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Archie caught a mouse, what would you do
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 14:27:31 PM »
Archie rushed into the kitchen with a mouse that was still alive. We chased him round the garden and managed to get him to drop it. poor mouse ran into the flower bed and later on Archie re caught it. After much shouting and screaming at son who let Archie out when we got mouse for the second time got mouse onto shovel.

It was in quite a state but could not see any injuries but very weak. Son said it should be finished off but could not bear too so took it to the field.

Just feel like crying for poor little mouse :'(

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 14:31:21 PM by alisonandarchie »

Link to CatChat