Author Topic: Vets advice! Right or wrong - you decide!  (Read 6211 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Vets advice! Right or wrong - you decide!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
woo woo you don't really know (or at least you haven't said) what circumstances the advice was given so I don't think its fair to comment on whether it is right or wrong without having all the details.

That said, the kittens could already have been preggies and that is why they say October.   THe only person at 'fault' in my eyes is the so called owners who didn't keep their cats in until they were spayed at 5/6  months.

Pleased to hear though that it looks like the police will get the trap back and you have a plan for the kittens! :)

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 21:48:09 PM »
I've got a few friends lined up!!! :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 01:20:12 AM »
I hope you manage to get something sorted out for them.  I spent a couple of years trying to persuade a woman to get her cats done, they were breeding and breeding and breeding  :censored:  :censored:  I even got told to leave her property at one stage  :evillaugh:  I didn't give up though and went back pretending I wanted a kitten or two for my youngster  :innocent:  Silly mare didn't even recognise me and after buying the two remaining kittens off her, I then got onto the subject of her then pregnant cat that was due to drop any day  :tired:  I told her my friend was after a tabby in the hope she would part with her whilst pregnant but sadly she wouldn't  :sneaky:  Anyway cut a long story short, I put my name down for all her kittens and told her I had a few mates that would be interested and I would take them all  :shify:  After a couple more visits and gentle pressure, I then even managed to talk her into having her females done as she'd mentioned she was sick of all the tom cats hanging round  :evillaugh:  When I returned the females to her, I then got the males done and thankfully her garden has since remained kitten free and the cats are much happier  ;)

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 22:29:49 PM »
Good idea I'll see if I can get a few friends 'interested' in a kitten or two or three! ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 22:09:20 PM »
Said she had homes lined up for some already, what kind me wonders?!!!

I dread to think    :'(  :'(  It may be worth offering to put your name on the kittens for when they are old enough to leave mum.  I've done this a couple of times with peeps when I know they are just going to give them to anyone.  If she's hellbent on finding homes herself, I would advise her about keeping them with mum til they are minimum 8 weeks, doing home checks etc etc.  God love them and I hope they get decent homes and the mums can be spayed after this litter  :wish:  With people like this, I usually mither them to death until they give in and agree with anything I say  :evillaugh:  ;)

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 22:03:51 PM »
I have offered and left phone numbers with her. Said she had homes lined up for some already, what kind me wonders?!!!
 She had them booked in for spaying but realised the hard way that they were already pregnant.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 22:00:28 PM »
Isn't there anyway you can get her to part with the cats?

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 21:54:37 PM »
She has no intention of keeping them in. SHe said something like the 18th of Oct which is way to long, I think. I will try and keep an eye on situation :sneaky:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 21:53:18 PM »
You can tell I dont deal with a lot of mum cats!!! I could only remember CP's advice when I posted that, which was at least a week between them going and mum being spayed. The two mum cats we have had in this year haven't been 'normal' spays, so was struggling to remember.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 21:49:21 PM »
My vets always recommend 2 weeks for the milk to dry before getting them spayed.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 21:48:12 PM »
hmm, that is rather late, although it could be the kind of vet who wants to leave at least a week after kits have stopped feeding for her milk to go, which could take it to 2.5 months from now, and the kits arent born yet, so that could take it up to 3 months, which is practically October.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 21:45:22 PM »
It sounds as if they are having the babies anyway but October would sound about right.  To do them in October though, she would have to keep mum's indoors until babies are weaned, a couple of weeks for the milk to dry so that would be about right.  If she's anything like people I deal with, they'll be both pregnant in a few weeks and they would have no idea how it happened  >:(

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
Vets advice! Right or wrong - you decide!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 21:32:22 PM »
Just had a woman on the phone who has two pregnant cats. They are both just over 7mth old >:(. She told me that they are both due soon. I asked her about spaying and the vet had advised her and booked them both in for October!!!!!! :Crazy: :Crazy:
 I explained we had just had a female in, who had a ten week old kitten and she was already pregnant again, albeit very early stages. What kind of person is giving this kind of advice?!!!

Link to CatChat