Author Topic: Transporting cats abroad?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
Re: Transporting cats abroad?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 04:35:14 AM »
There are transport services specifically for pets. I used one for my American cat coming into Heathrow airport then being drove up to Leeds.

I think I used:

http://www.animalcouriers.com/

I can't get into my hotmail.... so I'm guessing that's who I used but they were great.

I used that one twice... not for my cats but for tortoises.

They are excellent. Julia, the owner, used to work in RSPCA.

They are the cheapest and very caring as well.. Other companies wanted to charge me twice..

Julia Baber (or speal to Lesley)
Animalcouriers Ltd
www.animalcouriers.com
Tel Office 00 44 (0) 1483200123
Mobile 00 44 (0) 7736 251800
Amberwell,
Durfold Wood,
Plaistow,
West Sussex,
RH14 0PN

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 19:38:36 PM »
When we moved me and Lucia from Germany to UK, we drove a van, and I got a big dog crate so I could put Lucia's litter box and a lot of stuff that smelled like home in the box, and there would be enough air circulation. She was very good, some whinging and crying, but she slept a good deal of the time as well. The most worrying part was on the ferry, as they wouldn't let us stay in the van with her, but she was fine.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
yup the rabbit cage is 1m across so it's lower than a dog crate but very roomy.  One NB thing is that the cage should be able to be opened from the top to get at the cats or get them in and out - and to scan their chips if coming back into England. If they hunker down and you need to get water into them, you can lean over and use a syringe while they lie in bed. It sounds awful but is actually not too bad at all

another NB thing is that the cage/crate must be as still as possible so pad under it (to minimise road vibration) and all around it. We also got the rabbit cage 2 weeks in advance and let them have a good sniff and get used to it first. HTH.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 19:26:30 PM »
They got used to it and would get out and walk around the car at motorway stops.

Probably best to not do this with cats that dont travel well!

A large dog crate set up with everything maybe less stressy for the cat as its not enclosed like a carrier.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 19:06:02 PM »
 :rofl:  yup, we had some vocal displeasure at the beginning, but they soon settled down into a sort of grumpy acceptance. Once we stopped at a motorway service station in the evening and the car was surrounded by hundreds of tweety little birds. I had the windows almost shut and both cats on the dashboard not quite sure what they should or could do....plus quite a few human spectators!  :cheeky:
The part they enjoyed the most though was the hotel. I booked a parking side room so they had lots to look at  :shify:
Plus they got to keep meomy up all night jumping on her head, when she had to drive off at 8am the next morning....... ;)  Not saying travelling is fun, but it's quite doable for most cats in good health.
You do get some who just won't put up with it though.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 17:28:10 PM »
Travelling with the owners in a car is the least stressful option.

For the cat, I presume. Having travelled five hours up to Brisbane in the middle of a major thunderstorm with flash-flooding and a car full of possessions accompanied by the plaintive squeaks of Bob-cat and the loud shrieks of siamese Pavarotti, it was me needed the valium..........  :rofl:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 16:05:03 PM »
If your family's cat can't tolerate 1 mile (as in yowling, or worse that that?) and they really want him to go to France, I think they should start getting him more used to the car over regular short trips to see if he gets easier. If not, it may be quite difficult to get him to France. Sedation's not a good idea even by road. Travelling with the owners in a car is the least stressful option. I've done it quite a few times with my cats.
I use a big rabbit cage that fits in the back (small hatchback car), propped up so that they can see out, and stabilised in place with bedding, other goods etc so it doesn't move too much as they don't like too much vibration. In the cage I put their bed and a little litter tray as they get upset if they have to soil themselves. We had to stop every 2 hours or so to syringe water into their mouths as they won't drink by themselves. They got used to it and would get out and walk around the car at motorway stops. We did one day of 8 hours and another of 6 with an over night stop in a french hotel (most take cats).
French motorways are much easier than here as there's a lot less traffic. My friend lives in France and took her cats from England and gave me the rabbit cage tip which really did work. If it's a hot time of year, I took a light towel which when damp can drape over the cage.
I would hesitate before using a road transport co if the owners can do it themselves as it's a lot less stressy for the cats to be able to see their own family.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:11:55 AM »
There are transport services specifically for pets. I used one for my American cat coming into Heathrow airport then being drove up to Leeds.

I think I used:

http://www.animalcouriers.com/

I can't get into my hotmail.... so I'm guessing that's who I used but they were great.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 23:38:28 PM »
As bc said sedation is not a good idea and when I moved my cat nearly 400 miles by road my vet advised against it.

I would ask them to speak to your vet and see if he can give any advice.

When you say the cat doesnt do the mile to the vets well, what do you mean exactly?

My cats shout and cry all the way to the vets and back, about 50miles, and its very tiresome and distracting when driving cos I hate them crying so pityfully  :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 21:05:21 PM »
sedation is a really bad idea when transporting cats. When international carriers transport them they warn you not to use sedation as it prevents the cat from regulating its body temperature. The sort of dose required for long-term sedation is also potentially fatal - so all up it is not a good idea. You can use rescue remedy or something similar to minimise the stress. You family member should check out the professional pet transport companies as they are experienced and (in my experience - moving from Oz to NZ and thence to here in the UK) do a good job.

Offline sam kent (thomas_kitten)

• Adult Cat
  • Do my ears look big in this?
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
Transporting cats abroad?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 20:43:44 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here goes ..............

One of my family will be moving abroad later this year. They will be driving (taking stuff), but there are 2 cats (10ish female and 8ish male). They are extremely concerned about the male who cannot cope with 1 mile to the vet.

Does anyone know if there are any companies that offer sedated transportation or similar? They'll have about 800 or so miles to travel from UK to France.

Link to CatChat