Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 19:22:53 PM »
Give him a squeeze and you'll feel if theres anything there, if he isnt done you cats will be 100 times more hostile to him not to mention the smell  :sick:
Some cats retain a full look and others are virtually flat

If she has lied about him being neutered id suggest you get him sorted asap to start the de-ponging process!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 17:04:43 PM »
Totally agree that a weekend won't be enough, I just wanted to make sure that world war III didn't erupt and I'd be left holding a cat. We went and spoke to the lady today, Garfield is GORGEOUS, he is ginger with pale brown and grey.

we will take him 2 weeks before and if weekend passes without open aggression then he will stay.

The thing is, world war 3 is more likely to erupt if you don't do the intros over a period of time. Whereas if you can do the intros as per usual recommendations, keeping new cat separate to start with, exchanging scents, feliway, then short supervised meetings etc, you are more likely to have success.

He sounds lovely though, hope it all works out.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 16:13:30 PM »
Suggest he loses a couple of stone before you take him home or your place will smell vile!!!

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 15:54:06 PM »
Totally agree that a weekend won't be enough, I just wanted to make sure that world war III didn't erupt and I'd be left holding a cat. We went and spoke to the lady today, Garfield is GORGEOUS, he is ginger with pale brown and grey. He does however appear to have 2 more balls than I'd expect a neutered cat to have. It will be another 4-5 weks before we need to worry as his owner wants to keep him until she moves so we will take him 2 weeks before and if weekend passes without open aggression then he will stay.

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 14:15:03 PM »
I agree, it will take at least a few weeks. :agree:
We have had Tibby for 5 weeks now and Lucy my other cat, still keeps away from him and sulks.
You have to give it time and patience.
They will be fine.  The other there was fur flying in the back garden - Tibby and Lucy had a  disagreement - lol.
Cats- they are worse than kids lol

[attachment deleted by admin]
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 14:06:17 PM »
It will probably not be as bad as you think but a weekend will not be long enough to let Garfield settle in, he will be very nervous away from his territory and if he is not used to other cats in the house he will be very wary of your cats.  Good luck for the weekend and I hope that it all works out for you and Garfield.

:ahh:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 13:40:41 PM »
I got a call from my OH's sister last night a friend of hers has to move home and the new landlord won't let her take the cat and wants to know if we would take him. We had discussed the possibility of taking in another cat to keep Charley amused and to stop him trying to "play" with Henry. I'm a little bit annoyed that OH didn't want to make a decision so she called the second I came in from work knackered and kept talking til I said maybe. So far the agreement is we take him over the weekend and if all hell breaks loose he goes back. I can't keep him in the bedroom to introduce them slowly as Charley can open the bedroom door and might not take kindly to another cat in "his" room.

Henry won't like the new cat, but he won't be violent towards him. Charley will either love him or hate him but if they get on it will be great as Charley might stop jumping on Henry to play (or they might decide to gang up on him!). Going to go see the cat today and speak to the owner I've been told he's a lovely friendly cat but of course when trying to offload a cat no-one will say he's a little devil. Will be on the lookout for house destruction and make sure the cat isn't used to daily feedings of chicken. He is a neutered ginger 4year old called garfield and I just hope it works so we can save him from ending up free to a good home.

Link to CatChat