Author Topic: Toothache ??? MR Misty going for Dental Tommorrow !!!  (Read 10052 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Toothache ???
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 16:44:15 PM »
Hi Stuart

If you're not 100% satisfied with the answer you got from the vet and bearing in mind her age and other health issues then I would be inclined to suggest you possibly seek another opinion, that way you are sure of the possible treatment route if they both agree before putting her through the ordeal of anaesthetic.

Keep us posted and good luck :hug:

oooh piccie while I was typing!!!  :Luv2:  looks just like my Yoda that was in the cat comp! :Luv2:

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 16:43:01 PM »
Oooo he is gorgeous, feel better soon handsome xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 16:41:09 PM »
Thx Sheryl, Misty is now recuperating after His ordeal and holds no animosity towards me cause He know's it was that  :censored: Vet that did it.

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 15:56:55 PM »
Poor Misty, love and huggles coming your way. xxx

Next time - bite the Vet not your Daddy xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 15:47:19 PM »
Ok, the vet was ( I thought ? a bit rough with Misty  >:( ) causing his mouth to bleed, then saying to me " He requires a dental, you can see the Blood"
I said " Is that not because of your Poking ?? "  >:( >:( >:( I then mentioned Misty is on Fortekor 2.5's and she proceeded to prod the Kidney area, which made
Misty skrill out in pain, turn round and bite ME  :shocked: 

:censored: vet

anyway, she thinks there is a Molar requiring removal, I have phoned the main surgery for an appointment, but she has also given me a course of antibiotics
as there is slight inflamation of the gums  :( , it's a 5 day course, so I dont know if they will be able to do it b4 then
(getting worried I might get a phone from work to go offshore)

and Ill remember to mention Fluids and Ovarid
Thanks MM & MKR  ;)

I'll keep you posted on the outcome

Stuart....

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 13:27:40 PM »
It could just be that he has a wee eye infection flaring or something in the house is aggravating it.  Do you use the plug in or automatic air fresheners at all??  these can really annoy cats eyes.

If it is his mouth that is the problem and its not the teeth but the gums causing the problem I would be inclined to discuss Ovarid as an option rather than surgery.  Taking out teeth when the gums are the problem as a first step we don't agree with now that we have seen the benefits, especially in older cats, of using Ovarid to calm the gum irritation.  We have 2 old timers on the Ovarid once a week and its worked wonders especially as 1 of the oldies can't go under for an op as he takes a reaction to the anaesthetic.

At his age I would still see the vet and get him checked over to be on the safe side, but I would be looking at surgery as a last resort if it is gum problems.

Let us know how you get on.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »
Stuart my Dragan was 17 with pancreatitis and a heart murmur when he had a dental and he was bright as a button afterwards with no after effects whatsoever.  My vet had him on fluids throughout and I definitely saw a difference in his recovery compared with the previous year when my old vet didn't put him on fluids

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »
It is a worry, isn't it, but let's see what Misty needs to have done first  :hug:  (easy for me to say, I know).  We've had a number of older puds having ops on here recently and I have just been speaking to a friend of mine (well, our Chairman  :evillaugh:) whose older cat, Nina, had a dental only yesterday.  She's right as rain today.

Let us know, Stuart.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:51:56 AM »
Yes Christine, Misty does take His food away from the dish to eat it, not all the time but He has been doing it more
regulary just recently  :scared: . The Vets are in Fraserburgh between 2 - 3 pm today so I'll take him down then
as Misty is 17 I'm also Very concerned about the anesthetic, Did find on the net that nowadays there is a 00.1%
risk that you can lose them while under anesthetic, as it has improved over the years
I'll ask the vet about that also, but no doubt they will have a get out clause  :(

I'll keep you all updated

Thanks for the replys  ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:17:01 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
You are right to check but it could just be dust or pollen or something.  That happened to Blip a few days ago.  Does Misty take food away from the bowl to eat?  That is often a sign as they associate the bowl with pain.

Let us know, anyway.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »
Me too Stuart

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
I have no answer Stuart for that??? Just sending Misty and yourself some "Good Luck" for phoning the vets tomorrow!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:50:50 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Toothache ??? MR Misty going for Dental Tommorrow !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 22:00:16 PM »
over the past couple of week's Misty's eye's have been watering and seems to be a small amount of crusty discharge like sleep
I seem to remember reading something that this can also be a sign of Toothache, is this right ?? I did have a look ontinternet
but could find no definitive answer..... rest assured peeps, I shall be phoning the vet tommorrow, but Just thought I'd ask the
question to see what the experts think  :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 21:40:04 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Link to CatChat