Author Topic: First time cat owners (wannabe!)  (Read 2691 times)

Offline sammy**

• Adult Cat
Re: First time cat owners (wannabe!)
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »
hello ;D ..
my cat sammy is an indoor cat he has a cat flap and can go outside whenever he likes, we used to pick him up and take him outside but he'd just run staright back in again so we've given up now lol.. he seems very content indoors,
some cats just dont like going outside .. i agree with everyone else have a look at rescues im sure there'll be some that cant go outside for some reason or another,
good luck ;D

Offline roque122000

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 18:30:44 PM »
Hi TC.
 My boy Roque is an indoor cat, he did go missing once 3 years ago, he was found 3 days later, and he hasn't been out since, he seems quite happy, and doesn't miss out on anything except for one thing (you know what I mean)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 17:30:08 PM »
Here's a good example of a happy, healthy FIV boy - don't know where you are based - anywhere near Yorks or North East?  ;)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,15132.0.html

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 17:30:54 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:03:17 AM »
Helllooooooooooo, did I hear someone say my name  ;D :evillaugh:

Welcome to Purrs TC, and as Mark has said, I'm the very proud slave to Max, who is nearly 10 and is FIV+

If you are looking to home an indoor cat/s, then I would defo suggest taking a look for any with FIV, they so often draw the short straw when it comes to rehoming (due to lack of knowledge largely), but in all reality, they are no different to looking after any other cat  :)

If you do seriously consider this route, there's a whole bunch of us on here who have FIV puds, and will happily pass on all our knowledge and experiences to help you decide  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 21:14:31 PM »
If you are having an indoor cat, it's a great opportunity to offer a home to a cat with FIV. They are so often overlooked and need indoor homes away from other cats. They are just as happy and healthy as any other cat. Clare will no doubt tell you about her lovely cat Max  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:44:31 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Toastcat

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 19:07:43 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice everyone!  Have to admit that we hadn't thought about getting a blind or deaf cat...but obviously there are lots of different options out there! 

We probably won't get one for a while - have to make sure that we can really accommodate one in our flat, but when we do, we'll keep you posted!

TC xxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 15:47:41 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Toastcat.

As Helen and Susanne say, there are any number of cats that need to be kept indoors for one reason or another.  Many of these are in rescues, waiting quietly and patiently for the right loving family to come along for them.  So rather than buy a cat - or cats! - I would go along to your local rescue and talk to them about rehoming one or two.

NB the rescue will appreciate a donation towards its future work, of course  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 14:08:21 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs..... :)

Before I moved I had 4 cats in a 2 bed flat....they were indoor only and no problems whatsoever!  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 22:41:02 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs!

I live in a flat too and keep my cats indoors.  They have no outdoor access at all and are happy, imo.  Opinons vary on this, but a lot of us do keep our cats indoors for various reasons.  Yes, they would like to have a garden to play in, but that doesnt mean they can't be content indoors.

There are pretty much 2 ways to go about getting an indoor cat.  The first is to look for a cat(s) that need to be kept indoors, eg a cat with FIV, a blind cat, an older cat that has never been outside before etc.  Such cats don't necessarily need much additional care and won't necessarily need lots of expensive vet treatment, but they are often best kept indoors.  Most rescues will have some cats that are looking for indoor homes and would be delighted at the offer of an indoor home.  The second way is to get kittens on the basis that they won't miss what they never had.  I have had my cats since they were kittens (one is almost 11 years old and the other is 2 years old) and they have never known the outdoors.

You do need to make an extra effort to provide toys and games for indoor cats.  You have to compensate for the fact that an indoor environment is not a stimulating as an outdoor one, but it can be done. 

Good luck with finding a suitable cat or cats.  I'm sure there is a cat somewhere that's purrfect for you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 22:42:14 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 22:34:41 PM »
Hi TC &  :welcome: to Purrs

Indoor cats are a lot more common nowadays, an indoor cat does require much more attention and interaction than an indoor/outdoor cat.  Have you considered getting two so they are company for each other whilst you're out at work?  Two are twice the fun of one and half the work too! 
There are lots of 'types' of cats that would be ideally suited to a life of indoor luxury, deaf cats, elderly cats, FIV+ cats or just cats that aren't fussed about going out.  If you go along to your local rescue and explain your home set up and lifestyle I'm sure they could match you up with one or two perfect cats  :)

Offline Toastcat

• Kitten
First time cat owners (wannabe!)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 22:00:00 PM »
Hey everyone

Me and my partner have been considering buying a cat/kitten for a long time.  The reason we hesitate is that we live in a flat with no garden, and wondered whether it's cruel to keep a cat indoors?  Thing is, we've heard that some older cats/cats from shelters might prefer being indoors, away from traffic noise etc ... but would really just appreciate some advice! We don't want to deprive a cat of a garden if that's what they'd prefer...just would like your opinions really!

Thanks

TC

Link to CatChat