Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 1302 times)

ccmacey

Re: Not sure what to do
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 14:43:31 PM »
And my nearly 4 yo cat and my 5yo too  :evillaugh:

Kittens do have a lot of energy and Im glad when it wares down but living with a house of adults someone has to start the fun and so it continues, my eldest fairy elephant is 5.

I think it depends on the cat you already have. I have only been able to bring kittens into the house as my eldest fights with any other cat, not his younger bro's or lil sisters though.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 00:09:42 AM »
to be honest I will be glad when the she grows up a bit and loses her boundless kitten energy, maybe then harmony will finally reign.

I hate to break it to you puffball but Hobbes my youngest is 19 months old now and he still runs around like a mad thing and regularly pounces on poor Dylan who is nearly 9. They do love each other though and Dylan gives as good as he gets but I think it will be a while before Hobbes loses any energy at all  :rofl:

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 00:01:59 AM »
I just got a kitten as a companioin for my 18 month old female and did the gradual intro process over the first 10 days but they are now together 24/7. The kitten has ousted the cat from her favourite bed, food, water bowl, litter tray and also hi-jacks all playtimes! The poor cat waits until kitty is asleep to access her facilities  :rofl: The cat attempts to groom the kitten, who fends her off, so she tries to pin her down and lick her  :rofl: :rofl:  I had thought a kitten would be ideal as it wasn't so threatening for my young cat but to be honest I will be glad when the she grows up a bit and loses her boundless kitten energy, maybe then harmony will finally reign. Good luck with the older ones  :hug:

Offline Kenzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 23:03:25 PM »
Thankyou for the replys we will definately consider an adult cat now.
A cat is a free spirit who will come to you for affection, but only on her terms. The quicker a devoted owner understands this the faster harmony will resume.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 17:54:05 PM »
kittens are very high energy and, unless, like Esther, your cat has just weaned a litter, she may prefer to meet someone a little more laid back. I had completely forgotten how high energy kittens are until I got Smidgen, and he was 4 months old when he arrived ....

I say, give it a try. Unless they are tearing each other to pieces the first few days will involve swearing, spitting and stalking. After that, if you are sensible, they should settle down well together. The two new cats have the confidence of knowing each other, but they will be out of their territory. Your cat will be on her territory, and so that will give her confidence. I should be fine, really ...  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 16:05:50 PM »
Some cats dont like kittens so an adult can be better, hopefully you wouldnt need to keep them separate for that long.
Even if you go for kittens you would need to be able to seperate for the first few days at least. Some people just dump them together and let them get on it with it but that doesnt always work  :scared:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
As far as I know, dog crates are fine for use during intros too.

Just because the cats are nearer your cats age, doesn't mean they are less likely to intergrate. Good luck whatever you decide to do. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kenzi

• Adult Cat
Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »
Hi all, I have been thinking for a long time to get a kitten/s to go with my adult female cat aged 3.

But I have had an email from someone who needs to rehome 2 cats, 1 male and 1 female, they are roughly the same age as my present cat. The two cats seem perfect and I cannot stop thinking about them, but as the cats will all be the same age I am concerned that things could go wrong. I have read the wizz link for introducing cats, but I dont have a room where the new cats could be kept for a few weeks, I was planning on putting kittens in a dog crate when my cat was around for introductions.

My main concern is that they will not get along.

Your thoughts please would help a great deal.

Many thanks
A cat is a free spirit who will come to you for affection, but only on her terms. The quicker a devoted owner understands this the faster harmony will resume.

Link to CatChat