Author Topic: Hi I am new. Can you all help me please?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Hi I am new. Can you all help me please?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 16:09:31 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs.

Sorry to hear of your loss of Chester  :(

You may want to check out wizz's advice on introducing a new cat / kitten to the household: http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline madam

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 14:24:09 PM »
He's actually really laid back and just looks at them a bit confused. He's not really interested in them, he likes people more. When he's tired he goes back to his own room for a sleep, so the girls come into the lounge etc as normal.  Oscar has been coming in more and more and like you say, I am just going to let him see her for short periods of time.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 14:16:58 PM »
Slowly, slowly with the intro's....depending on what the kitten's nature is like ie quiet, boisterous etc....If the kitten is not bold and will not annoy Oscar purposely then I would just see how they get on now that they have already met.....Supervised of course!  ;D

It would be more confusing to keep them seperate at this point!  :Crazy: Chances are they will learn to tolerate each other.....young kitten needs to be put in pecking order!  ;)

If it does come to fisty cuff's then of course seperate.... :scared: dont want the little one harmed!  :)

Aw the furbabes are beautiful.... :Luv: :Luv::Luv: for Oscar when her pic finally arrives!  ;)

Offline madam

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 14:09:30 PM »
Here he is

Here is Marni

I will have to find a pic of Oscar. ;)

Offline madam

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 14:05:36 PM »
8 weeks.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 13:56:25 PM »
Sorry if you have already mentioned but Im feeling very "word blind" today!  :Crazy:

How old is your new kitten?  :)

Offline madam

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 13:06:58 PM »
I think prob in her own way she liked him as much as she will like anyone  :evillaugh: She used to bat him on the head but he just used to let her and not react.  He was 14 and and she is 13 so they lived together a long time.  I remember when I first got Marni, they did fight very badly and she's not doing that with him.  She did sit up on the drawers the other night and watch him run about. The problem is she's a funny girl and she only really likes me as far as people go  8)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
If she only tolerates Marni then I suspect that will be the best that will happen with Winston but I think you are right to give Oscar lots of reaffirming love so she knows she is still loved by you.

How did she get on with Chester? What a great looking cat  ;D

Offline madam

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
His name was Chester, I have put his picture in the Rainbow Bridge section.  No, she's not very friendly with Marni, she tolerates her and that is about it. Problem is she is very protective of me, so I have been trying to spend as much time with her as possible, to show she is important.  She did sleep on the bed with me last night. :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs sorry about your old boy.........name?

It can take a long time for some cats to tolerate each other and introductions need to be done with care. I think its too soon to know but Oscar at present sounds mortally offended by the kittens prescence in her house ! If she is good friends with Marni and Marnis affections are now being transferred to Winston, then this will not help.

I think it may have helped to keep Winston separated from the other two for much longeras 3 days is not really sufficient.

Offline madam

• Kitten
Hi I am new. Can you all help me please?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »
Recently I had to get my old boy pts, he was Diabetic and had various other health problems.  I have never felt so heatbroken in my life.  Anyway, I have just bought a new kitten, but I have two older females, Marni & Oscar (a girl  :shy:)  I was a bit worried that they would not get along.  I have had Winston since Sunday and for the first few days I put him in a room, where they don't go much, until they got used to each other.  I have let him have the run of the house now.  Marni, seems to be fine with him and they have even sniffed noses and will sleep fairly close to each other (as long as he doesn't push his luck).  However, Oscar takes one look at him and runs out the cat flap.  I put him in his own room last night, but left the door open and let the girls sleep with me, as I think it is important he doesn't invade their territory.  Do you think Oscar will come round  :( :(  She doesn't try to attack him or anything?
Sorry for the essay  ;D

Link to CatChat