Author Topic: jimi the stray  (Read 7798 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: jimi the stray
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
When I first adopted Charlie (or rather he adopted me) I had him tested for FIV and FELV, so they can test.  That vet sounds awful
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:55:33 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »
Ist off get him to your normal vet and find pout what the growths are and how much they will cost to treat.

He was also need test for FIV etc (yes off course they can test!) and possibly vacs. Most good vets will let you pay bit by bit , they want the best for the animal too! :)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
Oh and I meant to say I asked the vet about testing him for diseases and things, I asked if there was a way to check for him being FIV/FILV or cat flu etc and he said no.

I was like eh?

He wasn't my usual vet  >:(

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
jimi the stray
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
Okay so I found this little black and white cat in the garden, skinny and being a bit picked on by the neighbourhood cats, he quite literally ended up at my front door so I reported him as found advertised him on sites, told local vets but after two weeks no-one came forward during this time he had been living in my back hall/kitchen kept seperate from my unvaccinated house cat, after two weeks I started introducing them and apart from the odd growl and hiss they seem to be tolerating each other. The stray needs some dental work, has now been frontlined (although to be honest I wasn't convinced he had any fleas) but most importantly he has these horrendous looking bulbous growths in his ears, sort of emerging from the canal, to be honest when he was taken to the vet it was really to check for a chip and at that stage I was still hopeful that he might get home again or get him into the shelter for rehoming as I really can't afford a second cat so I didn't ask as many questions as I should but now it seems he will be staying. Obviously he can't be insured because the vet saw him and said terrible ears, might not be able to do much about them but that's up to you and he needs at least one tooth out and a scale/polish etc

I'm broke, I'm self employed and have been for years in the main so don't qualify for benefits so PDSA is out in terms of helping me out. the sensible thing to do would be to get him on the local shelter waiting list but this would end up costing them money and how willing would they be to have a possible big ear operation and a dental on an 'older' cat? Besides he's a wee sweetie.

Oh dear.

Really the question is does anyone know much about these awful growths in his ears and the likely treatments....

Link to CatChat