Author Topic: Experience with underweight strays please help  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Experience with underweight strays please help
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »
I know how hard it is to make that kind of decision when you dont know the cat well Kate. i would ask your vet to be completely honest with you, and to tell you what quality/time she could hve left with the meds, to help you decide if it is worth continuing with them, and also what they would do if it was their pet. They might be reluctant to answer at first (my vet was), but push them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
ET is still eating ok but I am questioning her quality of life. She spends all day on her bed and often doesn't look happy. She still has some liquid on her lungs and is only partially responding to meds. I worry we are just dragging things out, it is difficult to make a decision about a cat you don't know well. When it was time to let Rosie go I could see she was not herself, not happy and not enjoying anything she used to. I get the feeling the vet thinks we should let ET go, but it is difficult to know when she still has moments of joy - like when she is stroked under the chin.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
Poor little ET  :hug:  Hope she forgives you soon :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed the new dosage helps, and she forgives you soon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 18:15:58 PM »
ET has had her dosage increased as she doing well but still has some fluid on lungs. Got her home and she ran and hid, guess she is unimpressed by multiple vet visits!! Anyway as she'd moved from her post in the living room I decided to hoover for the first time in a week. Bad move!! After I took the rubbish out I could not find anywhere, thought she must have slipped out when I was took the rubbish out. Called and called no luck. Looked round flat for fourth time and found her up on window sill cowering behind curtain. Now hisses violently at me if I approach - having gone from being super freindly!!

Feeling a bit hurt at being hissed at after all the time money and love expended on her this week :P

Hopefully she will calm down soon!!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 23:20:58 PM »
Best of luck for the vets visit :hug:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 19:21:02 PM »
Et was on the sofa when i cam in today and she ran to greet me - massive progress! Really trying not to get attached as fear we could lose her any time....Back into vet tomorrow for a check-up.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
i am glad things are looking promising for you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
Et has had 4 pouches and some tuna since coming home at lunchtime yesterday. She put up a good figght when we gave her her meds just now, so so far, so good. She has more energy and is very purry when I fuss her.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 01:26:41 AM »
Sending positive vibes for tomorrow~~~~~~ :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 01:23:28 AM »
Well so far her appetite is good, but she has had an appetite stimulant. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Menwhile we had just water dripping through our celling...it never rains but it pours!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 17:19:07 PM »
Aww, I do hope she responds to the meds, and you can have a decent amount of time with her. I can sort of see the RSPCA's point of view, just a shame they hadn't done more tests, as you have to go through the pain now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
Et is home. When we went to see her this morning we almost let her go (she went downhill yesterday) but the vet seemed to think she had a slim chance of responding to meds. So she is home with meds. she has purred a bit and looks ok. If no improvement by Monday we will have to let her go as I won't have her suffer. The RSPCA felt she would be better off ith us as she was living in an officers bedroom as she was too sickly for the main centre to take her. But he felt she would do better with a whole family to herself rather than having to hide from his dogs and cat. He was just trying to give her a last chance as well.

Thanks for all the support and chicken advice, update to follow.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 22:52:58 PM »
If you are feeding chicken, remember to take all the bones out.

I am shocked that RSPCA have homed a cat like this without having its health fully checked.........why am I shocked!

I really hope that ET will come through this and is at the best place right now  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 22:30:04 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this, have they recommended any medication for her? I hope she has a long time with you, it is such a shame they didn't do any tests before they rehomed her to make sure she was fine - we prefer to let cats build up before we rehome them to make sure there is no underlying health issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 18:11:06 PM »
Best to get the pieces rather than breast as cats like the grossest bits like skin, fat and gristle the most  :sick:

You can get free range wings in Sainsburys for about £1.60 - I usually get the free range drumsticks and thighs 500gram for about £4 but it makes loads. I cook it and then freeze it and take one piece out at a time - all day in the fridge to defrost.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 17:39:58 PM »
Im surprised they dont do the 6 weeks free pet plan cover notes, so many places do now.
In regards to chicken i put it in the oven but others boil it. Stick in a dish, it depends how much and what bit of chicken your cooking so check it at 30 mins, shouldnt be pink in the middle and the juices should be clear, hope ET likes it.

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 16:42:27 PM »
ET has HCM - a aheart coniditon. It is moderatly advanced and she is expected to live 1-2 years. She may also have an overactive thyroid. She is staying at the vets overnight to be on fluids and build strength. Vet reported she has eaten some chicken. Can someone tell me how to cook chicken for a cat? I am a veggie.

Vet says she should not have been re-honed in this condition. Hoping the RSPCA will help with the enourmous vet bill. Still, the best case senario is ET will come home and recover and have some months of TLC, if we feel we can keep her given teh huge commitment she is going to require. I want to help but do not have an unlimted pot of time and money, if only the RSPCA had pre-insured her.  >:(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
Great news that she made it overnight.  Hopefully the vet will be able to give her something to help today.  Will keep looking for updates

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
Hi Kate,

It sound like he is a fighter  :hug:

Hopefully the vet can get him stabilised  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:33 AM »
ET made it through the night and is back the vets today. No real improvement or change. :-(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 21:02:27 PM »
Hoping for the best for you and ET  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 20:36:14 PM »
FIngers crossed for ET

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 20:16:50 PM »
 :hug: :hug: I hope your little ET pulls through, these oldies are tough as old boots at times.
Certainly dont blame yourself, you have given her a wonderful gift - that of love

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 19:44:43 PM »
Kate, don't blame yourself.  Stress is an awful thing and nobody knows how they are going to respond to it, some seem to take it all in their stride and others find it hard to cope with.  I'm keeping everything crossed this little darling will pull through  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 19:28:25 PM »
She seems very weak. Been reading on the net that stress can trigger the clincaL onset of HCM which is what the vet suspects she has. I guess it was too soon for her to moved to us. I think she may go to sleep forever in the night, if not its back to the vets in the morning.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 18:05:54 PM »
Oh poor you and poor ET.  I hope things aren't as bad as you think and that she will be ok. :hug:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 17:58:46 PM »
What a day. Finally got hold of RSPCA man - he has not been in touch as his own cat had died! Poor chap was in a bad way. Was not in a  position to help me of course so I tooK to my vet and she had an x-ray. She has a pulmenory endemia. she has had a diretic and steroid put prognosis does not look good. going back in tomorrow for tests. In total disbelief that this has happened so suddenly and feeling like I am cursed by cat gods! I am doing all I can for her but knowing it will almost certainly be in vain is hard. I am exhausted and I don't know what I am doing wrong, all I wanted was to make her well and happy. I know getting rescues and oldie rescues at that is best and kindest my this all makes me want to kittens next time. Please send soothing thoughts for ET and hope she does not suffer too much. There is an outside she has an allergy and may pull through with steroids but the vet was not optimistic.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 14:58:42 PM »
Hi hun, this little kitty really needs to see a vet  :hug:  As Ela has pointed out stress can bring out illnesses that may not have been apparent at the time of rehoming.  She may just be feeling under the weather and it may be something and nothing, it's much better to get her in sooner rather than later.  It won't be anything you've done wrong, it's one of those things and hopefully a vet will put your mind at ease,  :hug:  :hug:

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 14:44:32 PM »
Oh you poor thing and poor ET too obviously, I know it can be so emotional when you have gone through a tough time with a cat before and you just think, no I can't do this again....  :hug: Hug for you and fingers crossed for ET that it's just a sensitive few days and she starts eating, drinking pooing and peeing happily.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 13:26:19 PM »
You are doing the right thing taking her to get her checked.  Hopefully it will be nothing and your mind will be at rest.   :hug:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for all your help and advice. ET does seem to be drinking but no interest in food what so ever. she has not used a tray for 24 hours so possibly she is not drinking enough. She is going to the vets in a couple of hours as I cannot get hold of the RSPCA man. It doesn't look very good and I'm really not up for going through this again :-(
I guess she may be hospitalised with fluids.
IKate

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
Hope ET is feeling better today

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
Is she dehydrated? That could make her reluctant to eat, or it could just be that she has had enough food and her tummy doesn't want any more - is she pooing OK? I would be tempted to nip her to the vets in case they think she would benefit from something like fluids. Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »
When a cat changes homes it is very stressful for it  and if a cat is incubating something it can come out at this time, it is for that reason Cats Protection pay for vets fees for the first month after re-homing (when adopting from them).

I would most certainly take the little one to a vets for an MOT ASAP.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 18:52:22 PM »
Hi Kate, well done for giving a good home to a needy cat. Perhaps she just needs time to adjust to her new home and you. I adopted 2 cats from a shelter last year. They were no problem but they did seem to need a good few weeks to really get comfy in their new home. One in particular was very skittish but now he has come to trust us. Maybe your cat has had a bit of a rough time before she came to you. Just to be safe, have the RSPCA check her out, but I bet that she's just feeling a bit uncertain. Good luck.

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
Experience with underweight strays please help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 18:39:01 PM »
Hi,

ET, a very underweight stary I adopted from the RSPCA on Monday assems very unhappy today. She did well when she fist arrived, eating loads. today she is very leathergic and has not eaten since the early hours of the morning. she just does not look happy. Does anyone have experience of homing this type of cat? Any advice to share? It could just be the heat i suppose but I have opened a window and there has been a nice breeze for the last couple of hours.

Don't feel strong enough for this, I wanted to get another cat to fill the space Rosie left but I can't cope with watching another cat be ill and struggle.

Any stories or advice appreciated. I don't think a vet is the answer as she has been fine whilst in the care of the RSPCA and was eating well. there is very little they can do for such an underweight cat anyway, but of course I will take her if that might help, but I think the stress of the journey will be worse than anything.

Am i over-reacting?

A very worried and possibly neurotic Kate. 

Link to CatChat