Author Topic: I have just seen this.. why dont people go to rescues?  (Read 4910 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: I have just seen this.. why dont people go to rescues?
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 20:04:34 PM »
Hi Michelle, sorry for the delayed report. Betty is just gorgeous, a lovely, petite little calico with the unusual characteristic of being predominantly black with white and ginger splodges. And soooooooo friendly - she is a complete trollop  :Luv:. Fortunately I had the wit not to take a cat cage with me or she would most definitely have come home with me...

Her owners are trying to do the best for her. They are moving to Oz, and plan to rent for the first 12 months in inner city Melbourne where no landlord would even contemplate allowing pets. In addition to their vet's advice they have a friend who flew her 6 cats back from Spain. When the boxes arrived, there were only five cats in them. So naturally they cannot even contemplate risking something like that for Betty. I would have hysterics if it happened to me!.

They are scrutinising applicants very closely and are now doing home checks, following my visit. He seemed interested in advertising her through this site, which I offered, but they have not sent the photos they promised so suspect the fiancee was not so keen. They are not in a rush to get rid of her, so have ample time to find somewhere. If they have still not placed here before they go, they are happy for her to come to me, to be placed through more appropriate channels, and have all my contact details. About as good as I could hope for really, since I was unable to take her on myself (I have a family of four arriving in a few weeks, so not ideal in a tiny terrace with a new cat and two resident cats, a dog, a 10 and 14 yearold and three adults. In fact I am having fits and wondering if there is room in the shed for me ...............

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 19:50:39 PM »
well, I am going to visit Betty this evening. Will report back when I return. Will offer to foster as a last resort and recommend they try placing ads through local rescues ... fingers crossed I don't come home with a third cat ...  :scared:

How did you get on BC ?

I heard back from the other cats owner, She was spayed friday  :cheer:
I might be popping over to see the women this week, see if i can give anymore advice (and also to coooo over the other cats kittens hehehe)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 17:45:06 PM »
well, I am going to visit Betty this evening. Will report back when I return. Will offer to foster as a last resort and recommend they try placing ads through local rescues ... fingers crossed I don't come home with a third cat ...  :scared:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 15:39:12 PM »
Maybe the vet is comparing the risk of spaying with milk versus cat getting pregnant again straight after this litter. A flank spay would be less likely to be a problem in regards to milk and feral cat projects overseas TNR when they are still lactating.
Cats in a rescue would be penned or fostered away from any males but your average joe can easily be caught out again.
Most important thing is cat wont have anymore kittens  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
although suprised that she would be allowed to get the feeding mum done when they are 6 weeks old

I too am surprised, our vet just would not spay a feeding mum to kittens 6 weeks old.

Maybe the kittens will be 7wks by then - i dont know
Here is her email

Hi Michelle, i just wanted to say thank you so much for your advise and help... i phoned celia hammond and she is booked in for this friday to be nuetered and have injections..  its a bit wierd as if i had a SE postcode it would have been £20 but as i have a BR postcode it works out to £34.50... but thats great thats half the price my vet charges and something that i can afford... my other cat is going in in 3 weeks time to be nuetered too....(when her kittens are a little bit older) so all in all your advise has been a great help and im so happy that i dont have to rid of her (well hopefully) ;) so once again thank you very much.... best wishes

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »
although suprised that she would be allowed to get the feeding mum done when they are 6 weeks old

I too am surprised, our vet just would not spay a feeding mum to kittens 6 weeks old.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:15:43 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »
i am glad that she is going to get them spayed, although suprised that she would be allowed to get the feeding mum done when they are 6 weeks old, in case something happens to her, and she will still have a lot of milk then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 00:29:00 AM »
Great result Michelle - I think it is worth it sometimes. I guess we have to accept that not everyone knows what to do and needs some guidance. It's easy to pass judgement but this lady sounds like she just needed guiding in the right direction.

Michelle  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 00:07:24 AM »
Thats brilliant, well done!   ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 23:55:35 PM »
Just to update -

I couldnt ring the lady tonight as i had forgotten i was going out but just checked my emails and she has sent me a lovely email saying how the white cat is now booked in to be spayed on Friday with Celia Hammond  :cheer: She thanked me again and is so pleased that i got intouch with her.
Hopefully once this cat has been spayed she will calm down, She didnt want to part with her and is keeping her fingers crossed that spaying does the trick
Her other cat is also booked into be spayed in 3wks time when the kittens are 6wks old

I think this is a great result :cheer:

So yes MM it is worth making that phonecall :cheer:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 16:49:28 PM »
Thank You Mark for updating on the White cat.

I had a long chat with the owner and she is a lovely lady, one of the reasons the cats havent been spayed is the cost (i wish vets would lower their prices, its a 10min Op). The lady was really thankful for the phonecall and took on board all the advice. I gave her Celia Hammond number and I am going to ring her back tomorrow night and see how she got on.
She really loves her cats and i think if this one is spayed it will calm her down and she will stop attacking the other cat and the dog!!
and then hopefully she will get the other cat spayed once the kittens are old enough.

Shows how contacting people on free sites isnt a waste of time, if 1 in 10 listen then your getting somewhere  :wow:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 06:02:53 AM »
Didnt the cat come form Battersea,

don't know where you got that from Sharon, there is no mention of Battersea in the ad ...

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 22:55:25 PM »
Thank You Mark for updating on the White cat.

I had a long chat with the owner and she is a lovely lady, one of the reasons the cats havent been spayed is the cost (i wish vets would lower their prices, its a 10min Op). The lady was really thankful for the phonecall and took on board all the advice. I gave her Celia Hammond number and I am going to ring her back tomorrow night and see how she got on.
She really loves her cats and i think if this one is spayed it will calm her down and she will stop attacking the other cat and the dog!!
and then hopefully she will get the other cat spayed once the kittens are old enough.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 22:17:18 PM »
You have all done such good work on these two.. Blackcat... we "may" be able to help although the lady is much nearer to Bredhurst i would say.. Didnt the cat come form Battersea, has she not rang them they may have a policy of returning cats if owners can no longer keep them, as CP does?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 21:33:09 PM »
Definitely - especially as they have time to do it. The main thing is it is less traumatic for poor Betty  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 21:18:18 PM »
When I go to see Betty's mother, can I suggest she ask CP to advertise her on their site, rather than through Gum Tree. I would be reluctant to take on another cat myself, and could really only offer her a fosterhome. But if she can stay with them until she is placed through a rescue, that would be better all around. What do you think?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 21:11:29 PM »
A lot happening while I was gone  ;D

Michelle is working her way through a weeks ironing so I will post for her. She spoke to the woman who was very genuine but not very informed regading cats. She loves them to bits. Following Michelle's advice, she is goinf to call Celia Haddon tomorrow to get them booked in for spay. Michelle said don't expect miracles overnight but if things don't calm down, to get in touch. She had spken to her vet about spays and was quoted £70 + £10 for an injections + a week of tablets ( :Crazy: )
She said she can afford the £20 CH charge  :) - She loves them to bits but can't cope with the spitefulness. She was also surprised to keep finding Toms in her house (with 2 unspayed females  :Crazy: )

Anyway, hopefully everything will be OK now.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 20:03:36 PM »
we have already had the conversation, and I also told her about my muchtravelled menagerie, but she (quite reasonably, I feel) is inclined to believe her vet. Most people do take their vet's word for it. She asks good questions and obviously cares for the cat, but is also very convinced that they have explored all options with their vet's advice and that leaving her here is in her best interests. When I go see her next weekend I will have another go, but I do feel they believe they are acting in Betty's best interests.

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 19:57:11 PM »
The vet that said a 1yr old cat cannot be transported abroad needs shooting...! I would suggest to them blackcat that they think about it and dump the vet!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 19:41:46 PM »
Hi all, Betty is 1 year old. The owners are not leaving until August, but are planning their wedding in between now and then, so it is all go for them. They sound really nice and her voice wobbled when she started talking about parting.

I am going to meet her next Sunday, and if I pass muster with them she can come home with me then. That will be good, as it gives me the weekend to sort out the spare room for her. Will keep you posted.
 ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 19:38:10 PM »
I wonder why the vets dont think she could travel? Fingers crossed for the other cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 19:18:06 PM »
of course, do we have a contact for them? Might even be able to convince them their vet is wrong ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 19:11:09 PM »
Wonder if BC could look into the first one?  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 18:47:53 PM »
Sorry Michelle, just saw this - thanks  :Flowers: :cuddle:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 18:32:28 PM »
Got the phone number Mark

Will PM you when i know of the cat is still looking for a home.
Just sent a couple of texts to people to see if i can get her in anywhere

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 18:26:12 PM »
Mark can you get me the phone number as Sharon isnt online.

I will go and get the cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 18:13:30 PM »
I wonder if Michelle can help with this one?

I just PMd her in case she didn't see the thread.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 18:17:50 PM by Mark »

• Super Cat
I have just seen this.. why dont people go to rescues?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 17:50:36 PM »
I have just seen this on tree site(i hardly ever look! and dont have an account)  but why dont people think?

This one is in Rochester not too far from Bredhurst and Foal i would say.

Our gorgeous cat, Betty needs a new home as we are emigrating to Sydney and the vet has said that the journey is too horrendous to even consider for her. As devestated as I am we have agreed we need to find her the best possible loving home. She is so wonderful and we love her so much. Please do not contact me if you are not serious about rehoming her as previously this ad attracted dishonest people just looking for a cat for free and we have waster potential rehomers by trusting these individuals. Homes near busy roads will not even be considered.

This one is in Bromley!! Whats wrong with people...If she got her spayed i reckon the problem would be less if not completely gone.

I have taken out the mobile numbers as posting on Purrs rules

HI I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD PURE WHITE CAT THAT NEEDS A NEW HOME
SHE IS VERY AFFECTIONATE AND LOVES A CUDDLE
UNFORTUNATELY SHE HAS GOT SPITEFULL TOWARDS MY OTHER 2 CATS AND MY DOG, FOR SOME REASON SHE HAS STARTED TO ATTACK THEM FOR NO REASON AT ALL....THEREFOR I FEEL SHE NEEDS TO GO TO A HOME WHERE SHE WILL BE THE ONLY ANIMAL WHEN THE OTHER ANIMALS ARE NOT AROUND SHE IS FINE, VERY LOVING, PURRING ALL THE TIME,
I FEEL SAD TO HAVE TO FIND HER A NEW HOME BUT I FEEL IT IS IN HER BEST INTEREST AND THAT OF MY OTHER CATS AND DOG
SHE OBVIOUSLY ISN'T HAPPY FOR SOME REASON
SHE ISNT TOO KEEEN ON YOUNG CHILDREN (SHE TENDS TO RUN FROM THEM..LOL) BUT HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP AROUND TEENAGERS AND IS FINE
SHE HASNT BEEN NUETERED
SO PLEASE IF YOU CAN OFFER HER A GOOD LOVING HOME WHERE SHE WILL BE THE ONLY ANIMAL THEN I FEEL SHE WILL IN RETURN SHOW YOU LOTS OF LOVE AND ENJOY LOTS OF CUDDLES
YOU WILL HAVE TO COLLECT HER FROM BROMLEY AREA
SERIOUS CALLERS ONLY PLEASE

edited this to follow the rules of Purrs postings..

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 18:49:24 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat