Author Topic: Too soon to go to the bridge.  (Read 22517 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Too soon to go to the bridge.
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2007, 14:38:19 PM »
Have you spoken to any Vets yet and got some quotes ??

What about the PV you started off using , would they not be able to sort something out for the Op ?

ccmacey

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2007, 13:22:50 PM »
No its his immune system attacking his teeth, its playsmic gingervitus or something like that, it was on 1 of those pages you found last night. The £200 for the cremation also included some medicines. Yes it is very barbaric and im not going for that, what standard of training do these PDSA vets have, they seem to know nothing a private vet would.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2007, 10:50:06 AM »
I have just remembered something !

We had a cat come in the cattery that had a problem just like this -
Right cant remember all the medical terms but basically his gums were allergic to his teeth (?!) , we had to syringe a solution into his mouth daily (one squirt each side) - his owners said that if this didn't work he would have all his teeth removed (He did end up having this done)

Does this sound like what Ollie has ?? (Vn's ???)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »
Morning CC,

I am going to ring the 2 vets i use and find out a price for you. What area do you live in ?

Question for the VN's
Would they take all the teeth out in one go - or in a couple of Op's ??

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2007, 07:32:43 AM »
I am utterly gobsmacked at the PDSA's response - trying something like that just isn't an option unless they can guarantee it will work!! Up to £500 seems incredibly excessive for a dental though, I have never paid that much, but the most out in one go was 6. Maybe someone on here can suggest a vet that would do a good job for not as much money? I think you should ring the private vet and get a quote.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 07:06:07 AM »
our vet charges £89 for individual cremation so at £200 your vet does sound a bit expensive

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 00:12:39 AM »
CC, i`m a vet nurse and i don`t like to bad mouth people`s vets but this sounds very bad. I know from helping vets when they do dentals that sometimes cats can have retained roots if a tooth has broken off and they always remove this as they say it must be very painful. It must be as it is exposing the nerves of the tooth and i can imagine how painful that must be! So if a vet is saying that they are going to file all of his teeth down to the root i would be very concerned. Also as you`ve already mentioned, £500 sounds a lot even to have all his teeth out. Where i work it is usually £100 approx if the cat has had maybe 1 or 2 teeth out and the rest descaled and polished. If more teeth are removed it ranges from about £120-£200 which would include post op treatment as well including the check ups a few days later. I think you are doing the right thing by phoning a few different vets to find out how much they would charge.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 22:20:06 PM »
That sounds like a good idea  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 22:09:33 PM »
I have tried that 1 before and they wont take them. Im just gonna have to save up.  I noticed someone mentioned that they payed £120, I will phone vets and find out true cost. If that's the case it shoudnt take too long.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 21:50:14 PM »
Not good but I would go for it anyway, try and get thenm to accept post dated cheques, if that will work for you.

ccmacey

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2007, 21:44:49 PM »
Yeah I know, Ollie is fine in himself just a little quiet at times, don't know wether thats because the others are boisterous? I was using a private vet's with Ollie to start and then had a baby a few months later. Thats when money became an issue, with his treatment coming to nearly £200 a month.

I know you are right and I'm not going to make him suffer, I will phone the P vets and ask if we could work out a payment plan. Don't know if they would do this though because when I had a cat cremated they said I could pay in installments, thats when I was balling my eyes out, and when I had calmed down a couple of weeks later they asked for the money in full which was over £200.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2007, 21:33:50 PM »
Dont worry bout me I OK  ;D Just worry about poor Ollie, which I know you are.

I think you gotta bite the bullet and get him to a proper vet, I do not think what PDSA are suggesting is right. The longer you delay the more Ollie suffers and I know this thread has ben running for ages.

I am sorry and dont mean this in a bad way but you have been asking for advice for a long time and always peeps have said they dont think PDSA is doing right and there comes a point where you have to stop keep going back for yet more daft opinions from them. You know that what they are giving to Ollie isnt working and now they are suggesting something so terrible instead of giving him the treatment he needs.

It just makes me so very sad.

ccmacey

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2007, 21:27:15 PM »
Yes Michelle I did that today and was reminded that they are a charity. I told him Id been looking on the net and most of the things I had read said take the teeth out. He said yes but they all suggest different success rates, or something like that! Basically he has said take the cheepest option, we don't know what its going to do for your cat but thats the options take or leave. So NO thank you MR call yourself a vet man! You can take your ungenerous and can I also mention unkind offer and stick it sideways! I'm not going to cause little bong bong any more pain than he has.  I'm just going to have to keep on with the medicines till I save up and have it done. At a propper vets of course, and to think of all the other people going in there and they think the vet is giving them the only options, poor souls!

ccmacey

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2007, 21:10:20 PM »
Sorry Gill, I hope you arnt on any heart medication. LOL.

Yes I know this option seems very harsh, and will probably cause unnecessary pain, therefore adding to his suffering.

I also keep thinking because they have previously suggested PTS that they are going to kill him during the op and just say he didn't make it through. I'm so worried I just want to do whats best and end his suffering. I would never have him PTS though.

Didn't know there were any vet nurses on here. If there are and have knowledge of this situation please help me, Me and little Ollie in dire strates!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 21:05:52 PM »
Hi CC,

Replying to your PM here as its easier
Have a look a these

http://www.provet.co.uk/Petfacts/healthtips/gingivitiscats.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=368

Have had a quick read of many articles and they ALL say remove teeth !

I gotta agree with Gill, whoever you have seen has not given you the best advice just the cheepest !

Get some more advice from other vets - maybe there might be a vet that is either cheaper or who may allow you to pay a large down payment (you said you could do £200)  and then the rest in installments.
Other than that , if you are using PDSA scream up a stink and say they are not doing the right thing for your cat, make a fuss

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 20:53:54 PM »
My instinct is to not go with this, cos logic says this will not work cos the teeth will still be there and I think this will cause him a lot of pain and he will stop eating.

I think you need go to a proper vet and get poor Ollie sorted, if this is PDSA kind of help then me thinks harshly that it is animal abuse! They have already made Ollie suffer for a long time, pumped him full of steroids and antibiotics and refused apparently on cost grounds to give him proper treatment and told you a load of garbage.

Sorry but this has made me very angry and poor Ollie is suffering because of this.

Just reread your post, do not go with this cos those teeth will be breaking the surface of the gum all the time when he tries to eat and he is gonna end up in so much pain and get infections. I do not see how this will be cheaper and UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM quicker!! than removing his teeth, I think they are incompitent >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

How would they do this, without anisthetic or what....................geezzzzzzzzzzzzz I am just so angry.................maybe one of the vet nurses can comment on this procedure.

Getting of this thread before I burst a blood vessel.

ccmacey

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 20:48:26 PM »
The vet said going private would cost somewhere in the region of......... £500. So if it really is that much, no that is not an option. A couple of hundred maybe. I wouldn't put it on my family, they wouldn't do that to me.

Thats the point, I really don't know if taking his teeth out would cure him, and of course he's been suffering for a while so that is the outcome I want for him. And I also don't know of any other options there is as to medicines and herbal remedies. Like I say I'm not a vet and I feel like the vet is looking at me for answers.  :-:

Michelle I been cheeky and sent you PM. Sorry lovey.  :)

Confusion set in when he kept saying loads of long unpronounceable words (they were to me anyway!) and loads of vet speak!

Thank Tan for spell check. HAHA

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 20:30:41 PM »
My own instinct would be to get this checked by a private vet, where cost is not an issue (well, not that way round, anyway  :(). I know from experience that teeth removal is not really that costly - could family and friends rally round if the immediate outlay is a bit too much?

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 20:27:07 PM »
Flipping 'eck CC i would be confused too !!

Can you get a second opinion ?
I dont like the bit about "He said this could either help or it wont help, and he could go off his food and then die! But he said he is willing to try this to see what the outcome is,"

Would removing all his teeth solve his problem though ?
just wondered as i didnt like the reason for not going for this option "The vet said that they wouldn't do a full dental and remove all his teeth as it is too costly and also takes a lot of time!"

ccmacey

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 20:09:21 PM »
Went to the vet's today and left a little confused. The vet said that they wouldn't do a full dental and remove all his teeth as it is too costly and also takes a lot of time! He said he has consulted other vets on what they are going to offer me. And the offer is.... to file his teeth down to below the gum and leave the roots in. He said this could either help or it wont help, and he could go off his food and then die! But he said he is willing to try this to see what the outcome is, Obviously him saying that is making me think it hasn't been done very many times. He give me 2 weeks course of antibiotics so I have got that time to have a think about it. How do I know what is the right decision, I'm not a vet! So now I'm even more confused and really haven't got a clue as what to do. I'm not letting them use Ollie as an experiment! If I could get more info on this procedure maybe I would feel better about making a decision. Head up arse once again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »
We had a cat that lived across the road from us where we used to live, a gnarly old tom called Pushkin that was about a hundred and eleventy years old. He had a couple of teeth left, but started to loose weight. His family took him to the vet, and he had to have his teeth removed. After that, he gained all of the weight back and a bit more besides - having no gnashers didn't stop him at all.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
I'll be crossing fingers too. One of my friends' cats, Snagglepuss (the one with colitis), has only one canine left and had a few molars removed. Other than the fact that she licks her lips lots to try and get them over her remaining fang, she's a much happier cat. She's still got just enough teeth to crunch biscuits, and she's on squidgy food as well which she's always loved.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
Fingers crossed, and as the others have said, you dont have to worry about him eating food if they do remove all his teeth. Ginger suffered with dental probs, and it was amazing watching the difference between how he ate before and after - he was the kind of cat who would ignore the nice pate food I had bought specially in favour of Snowy's biscuits, and he would sulk if he didnt get some biscuits every day!! He could also eat raw meat, I just had to make sure it was in small enough pieces for him. He will probably be a happier cat, but you might have to help him with grooming more, as he wont have the teeth to get knots out. Good luck!!
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2007, 21:53:57 PM »
Thanks all, will let ya's know how I get on when we get back.  :thanks:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2007, 20:31:20 PM »
Good Luck, Ollie. :)

Keep us updated, CC!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 19:49:03 PM »
Hope everything goes well tomorrow for Ollie, hopefully this will be the end of his problems  ;D

:hug: :hug: to you

Sonya
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 19:41:11 PM »
Blip had three teeth out, just over a year ago (including one upper canine), and demolished the tuna in springwater I gave her as soon as she came home the same evening. Our vet prescribed Metacam to ease the pain - five or six days' worth, and I was glad of it. I'd insist on it again if we had to have a similar procedure in the future.

I've learned that our domestic cats can eat any of the food we give them, even if they have no teeth left at all, so you need have no worries on that score.

And don't feel guilty - none of us likes having surgical procedures but they prevent illness and suffering.

Chin up - let us know how it goes tomorrow  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 18:36:12 PM »
You shouldnt feel guilty, its neccessary to stop any longterm suffering. He cant continue as he is and he should get a new lease of life from this.

He'l probably come home with metacam and antirobe and lots of tins of a/d which is a very smooth food, high in fat and when mixed with warm water irresistible!
The toothless cats i know still eat dry food, they just swallow them!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 18:33:42 PM »
You will be amazed how quickly they recover  ;D he will prob need some meds as well but will prob start eating as soon as he has stopped feeling woozy from anesthetic. They tend to prefer biscuits cos soft food gets into the wounds but something bland like boiled fish or chicken may slip down.

I wish Ollie all the very best for tomorrow and hope that this will be the cure for all his problems  :hug: :hug: :hug:to you both

ccmacey

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 18:22:05 PM »
I'm getting really nervous for tomorrow and also starting to feel a little guilty for putting him through an op. If thats whats going to happen? How long does it take for a cat to recover after an op like this? How will he eat his food???

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »
I phoned the vet's this morning and I was speaking to the receptionist, she was asking me what was wrong with Ollie, and then she said I think your going to be pleased with what the vet is going to say. I think they have had a kick up the bum by someone higher. So I have an appointment on Wed afternoon, Ill see what happens then. If the vet say's they are going to take his teeth out, I'm going to also take Ollie to a private vets just to make sure it is what he needs. So fingers crossed for Wednesday.  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2007, 22:55:00 PM »
Fingers crossed you get a good result from this vet.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 18:10:58 PM »
Thasts good CC, hope this guy is sensible and knows what hes doing.......loads of luck  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2007, 17:05:18 PM »

Im going to phone Monday to make an appointment with him, Hopefully he will be able to give the go ahead for Ollie's teeth removal. If not Im getting the hell out of there and taking him to a proper vet's!

A good result so far, CC, and that sounds like a plan.  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 16:48:28 PM »
Its good to hear they aren't ignoring you, i hope the senior vet gives the go ahead.

The teeth normally are the problem, this isnt a very technical explanation, but... the bacteria use the teeth as means of entering the gums.
A vets site says:

Where the immune system is hypersensitive to bacteria, the gingivitis can be controlled by reducing plaque bacteria numbers on teeth either by using a dry diet that reduces plaque or by using antibiotics to reduce plaque bacteria number. Alternatively, tooth extraction would not enable plaque bacteria to gain a foothold in the mouth.

Last sentence of this link is With extraction of the teeth the prognosis is good to excellent
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=223&S=2

Good luck with the senior

ccmacey

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 15:20:03 PM »
He gets Prednisolone steroid tablets 5mg every night and a penicillin based antibiotic, Synolox or Amoxcillin which vary in dose depending on how bad his mouth is. He's been on the steroids for 2 years, and the antibiotics used to work but they arnt helping any more, He's usually on antibiotics 2 weeks out of 4. This has been going on for nearly 2 years. I have recently noticed the redness all around his gum line so it must be affecting his teeth, I just don't know if his teeth are the cause?

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 14:41:38 PM »
CC, what medicines is he currently on?

ccmacey

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 13:54:58 PM »
I recieved this email this morning-

Dear Miss Cairns

I am writing in reply to your email concerning the treatment of your cat at our Middlesbrough PetAid hospital.

I have drawn your concerns and query to the attention of the Senior Veterinary Surgeon at the hospital.  His suggestion is that you book an appointment with him so that he can personally examine your cat, discuss your concerns and advise you about the treatment options PDSA can offer you.

I hope you will accept this as a suitable way to proceed as clearly we cannot offer definitive advice about a particular patient's treatment by email.

Im going to phone Monday to make an appointment with him, Hopefully he will be able to give the go ahead for Ollie's teeth removal. If not Im getting the hell out of there and taking him to a proper vet's!

ccmacey

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 19:49:20 PM »
Hope you figure out what to do soon. When one of my boys got gingivitis recently, he was given two injections(antibiotics and anti inflammatorys I think) and the problem cleared up. It cost £21 in total, so not too bad.

I wish it was that easy, Ollie has been suffering over 2 years now, Although the medicine did used to control it, it doesn't seem to be helping anymore.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 17:56:29 PM »
they are funny about it and maybe they wouldn't take me back, In which case I will not be able to afford his treatment at a private vet's for the rest of his life.

If the removal of all his teeth didnt work then going back to your current course of treatment doesnt sound like a longterm option, if hes depressed and the antibiotics aren't helping.
Suggesting PTS at this stage tho is very wrong.

I would be more willing to do this if I knew some overall success rate.

I dont think you will find a study on this but of the cases i know it has basically cured the cat, other than the odd breakout when stressed.

I'm now paying £5 a month for Ollie's medication at the PDSA, where I was paying £28 a week at the private vet's, so they well overcharge.

Have you checked the price of his meds on VetUK & Bestpet? An option if you did need them again.

Link to CatChat