Author Topic: Jess's behaviour consultation  (Read 1743 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Jess's behaviour consultation
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 19:41:32 PM »
glad to hear it. But if she is constrained by employer requirements, then that may explain the problem (for her as well)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 19:39:29 PM »
I have to admit its the same lady but when i stressed my concerns she checked with the people above and they allowed her to do a home visit. YAY

And we've come home tonight and I think Jess has wee'd twice  :wow:

The  Zyklene appears to be working we had the monthly consultation on the phone with our vet on friday and she was really pleased with the changes in Jess, I'm happy to keep him on it for the foreseeable if it means it chills him out a tad more.

I'm starting to feel confident that with the bahaviour training and the Zylkene we can chill him out,

(I work for a dog charity so we have dogs in our office)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 18:56:44 PM »
you have dogs at work??!! How wonderful!  :wow:

Oh, and good to hear you have found a sensible behaviourist who does not hire village halls for consultations ...  :shocked:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 18:56:09 PM »
Sounds good start  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 18:52:44 PM »
Great news, you have got much more than you would have got from meeting someone in a hall  :Crazy:

I have open trays for Taz and his fav litter is an ultra fine clumping clay, its almost like sand  ;D

Hows the Zylkene going? Will he be on it longterm?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 18:31:14 PM »
Sounds promising  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »
Ahhh. Yep, I have one of those! My oldest tom whenever we lock the cat flap headbutts it until it breaks open.  :tired: Love him, he's such a bruiser!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:40:56 AM »
The behaviourist is Susan who works with the Natural Animal Centre

JackSpratt - we have a timer but Jess breaks it open ( :evillaugh:) and we can't risk him eating Milo's biscuits or Milo eating Jess's urinary food.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »
Great stuff - what about buying a timed feeder? Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280220858187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Maybe this will help with the little and often feeding. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »
that's good news, who was the behaviourist?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Jess's behaviour consultation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
Well, I'm impressed!

Basically we came to the conculsion that Jess has no confidence at all. We spent 3 hours with the behaviourist at home and she main thing she recommended was having a litter tray uncovered (no lid) with no liners or newspaper just next to the tray he normally uses. And then have the upstairs tray with just catsan and no liners or newspapers. We also need to try another litter as the catsan is quite rough on his paws.

Also recommended was feeding smaller amounts and often, which we can do but unfortunately we can't leave food down whilst we're not there as Jess will gobble the lot which we can't allow whilst his on the urinary food. So now we're feeding 1 third of a pouch every 2 hours in the evening. And in the morning half a pouch every 2 hours.

We're also going to get a bigger cat tree so Jess can climb and raise himself up.

She thinks Jess might have some orinental in him as his so big but with a slender face, and the way his so particular.

One thing she did suggest was possibly having a confort zone and seperating Jess and Milo but I won't allow this to be honest, I don't feel its fair and I don't want to undo any of the hard work we've done of the past 3 months to get them to get on. She did agree though that having Milo has benefited Jess greatly as his body language was showing more confidence (showed her 100's of pics of before and after).

So far we've came to the conslusion that the trigger was us going on holiday and Jess being left 17 nights, then us putting the chrismas decorations up, plus (and its something we never thought of) the arrival of 2 new dogs in our road, one next door and one next door but one. All this combined basically knocked him over the edge. I also have to be careful what smells I bring into the house from the office dogs at work as this might not be helping.

The most amazing thing is that we did what she suggested with the litter tray (no lid, no newspaper, no liner) and Jess has been weeing in it, not only that but yesterday he had 4 wees in 24 hours, never ever has Jess wee'd 4 times in 24 hours so we are thrilled already.

Anyway I just thought i'd update you all

Link to CatChat