Author Topic: Newbie first cat in years!  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Newbie first cat in years!
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 19:43:18 PM »
If the collar doesn't work I would give Kit Collars a call they are VERY helpful and I'm sure they will either replace it (or explain it).

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/contact-us.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 19:37:20 PM »

Doesnt the clip just unclip?  :-:

Im sure Marvin is marking the days off his calender  :rofl: Best to get him chipped before he goes out tho  ;)

It doesn't seem to, I bought 2 and one has an easy push and release clip, but this one has a big round bit that I can't open  :doh:

I've just booked him in at the vets though, taking him in on Sat to get him checked out and they can put the chip in while I'm there too, I've also just organised a glazier to come and put a cat flap in so he should be allowed out in the next week or two  8)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 19:17:18 PM »
I agree with Milly's Mum ... CHIPPING is the way to go.  I have all may lot chipped and they were fine.

PLEASE get Marvin chipped cuz if he does go AWOL and loses his collar then you have a much greater chance of getting him back.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 17:43:31 PM »
Its well known that cats are 10 times tougher than dogs  :evillaugh:  i cant really reccomend you get your cats chipped enough, for the second it takes to implant you get a lot back. More and more places are scanning animals now  ;D

Maybe I'm being dim, but the only way I could see to put it on him was to expand it really big, slip it over his head, then try and tighten once it's on, but you have to push and pull the thing (technical explanation there) to tighten it and he doesn't like me fussing round his neck much.
Doesnt the clip just unclip?  :-:

Im sure Marvin is marking the days off his calender  :rofl: Best to get him chipped before he goes out tho  ;)

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 17:27:58 PM »
LOL, sounds like fun! I was thinking of getting Marvin microchipped but also worried it might hurt  :'(

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 17:23:40 PM »
sounds like fun and games there. i have 3 cats no prob. 1 puts up a fight i get clawed to bits but the oldest one rip me to bit then fights with collar trying to get it off for hours, i was woken at 12 he had managed the collar in to his mouth the elastic was on his teeth so he sat on my chest and thumped me til i sorted it. no collor for him, as its one of these safty collars it should of come off but didnt. good job there indoor cats. il have to get him chipped but the neddle so big made my big tougth dog cry :)
danielle

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 16:40:42 PM »
Yep, I get you, I should've done that in the first place, don't know if I'll be able to get it off again now!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 16:11:58 PM »
If he doesn't like you messing with his neck try getting a peice of ribbon or string put that round his neck as if it was a collar then then lay the piece of string against the collar and shorten the collar to the correct length.  Does that make sense?

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 14:59:07 PM »
Yep, that's where I got it! Maybe I'm being dim, but the only way I could see to put it on him was to expand it really big, slip it over his head, then try and tighten once it's on, but you have to push and pull the thing (technical explanation there) to tighten it and he doesn't like me fussing round his neck much.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 14:11:59 PM »
Is the collar a quick release safety collar?  www.kittycollars.co.uk

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 14:01:13 PM »
Well, typical, I bought him some more Sheba and he hardly touched it! I can't remember what flavour it was that he liked last time. I'll have to try a few more, and the pate one. I tried mashing the Felix up Millys Mum but he didn't eat any more of it. The dried food he has is Whiskas 'packed full of taste', I think that's a complete food isn't it?

I bought him some Whiskas cat milk which he liked but how are you supposed to get through that whole bottle in 4 days? I don't want to give him too much, or give it too him when it's off incase it gives him the runs...something I don't fancy dealing with in the litter tray!

I got one of those kitty collars and put it on him last night, how are you supposed to get them tighter without strangling him? He let me put it on, but he won't let me fuss with it to get it tight enough. I think he knows that means he'll be allowed out soon though, he kept going to the door saying 'out' 'out'!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 14:20:11 PM »
Marvin is gorgeous....love the first pic of him!  :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 07:17:28 AM »
Marvin's a very handsome chappie.  ;D

With regard to food, I think cats enjoy variety as much as we do.  If he's eating different things, and there's no special dietary requirement on health grounds, I'd give him whatever he enjoys eating.  Paddy licks the jelly off a lot.  Seems to be his favourite bit - he loves tinned ham in jelly - well, that's to say he often leaves the ham, but goes wild for the jelly.  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 21:15:49 PM »
Ahhh Marvin is gorgeous and looks like a perfectly happy healthy cat from pics.  I agree with Blip ... if he prefers Sheba or the pate then I would give him that.  He certainly looks like he has settled in well.

Glad everything is going well.

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 20:25:44 PM »
my mums cat only eat the jelly so she started spinkling catnip powder on his food once a week that boosts his apitight a little, cat nip treats and whiskers pillow treats get him going too. but hes realy skinny if yours is not i wouldnt worry to much
danielle

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 19:45:42 PM »
He looks lovely - manufacturers always put higher amounts on their packaging though sadly, as it means you buy more. I would try him on different foods, and if you find one that he prefers, stick with that. I second the recommendation for Turkey JWB, it is the favourite in this house (They have 3 flavours of it at the mo!!).
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 19:37:49 PM »
Do you mash the pouches up? If he likes sheba then thats what i would go for  ;)
The 4 pouch aday rule is for a cat that eats just wet food with no dry food. What dry does he have at the moment? Turkey flavour james wellbeloved is a tasty food, you can get samples from their website  ;) www.wellbeloved.co.uk

Marvin is a handsome lad  :Luv:

When you start to let him out its a good idea to get him back in at night.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 15:52:43 PM »
I was on holiday when you joined: what a handsome fellow Marvin is.

Blip has two sachets a day, one in the morning and one in the evening and nibbles at dried food during the day if she is really hungry.  That seems fairly typical.  Manufacturers want to sell cat food, so I think their recommendations have to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. But if Marvin prefers Sheba or the pate, I would feed him those, myself.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 14:04:40 PM »
I thought I'd update you all and show you some pics of Marvin!

I've had him for nearly 2 weeks now and he's settled in nicely, he is so laid-back it's unbelievable! When I went to get him, he got in his carrier with no problem, then when he arrived I expected him to be a bit cautious and find a hiding place, but he came straight out and investigated the house, found his food and his litter tray and that was him settled! He is really good with visitors, he'll come and say hello and didn't mind my little half-sister chasing him around!

I can tell he wants to go outside because his fave spot is on the front window sill and he occasionally whines at the front door, but he's not tried to escape at all, even when I'm standing with the door open, he's curious, but does goes back in when I tell him. I don't think I'll need to keep him in for much longer, I'm going to try and get an appointment at the vets this week to check him out, then I think he'll be fine to let out.

My only concern is that he doesn't eat much. I've been feeding him the same as I'm told he was fed before - one felix pouch in the morning, and one in the evening, with dried food and water left out all the time. He only seems to lick the jelly from the felix pouches, and picks at the rest throughout the day but never finishes it. He eats a little of the dried food, but he obviously doesn't enjoy that much either. Then I read on the felix box that he should be getting 3/4 a day, is that right? I've tried him on Sheba and he seemed to like that a lot more, and a Purina pate tin, he ate that all up! Do you think I should be concerned? He doesn't look skinny or anything, and doesn't really whine for food other than at the usual feeding times.

Anyway, here are some pics of the lovely Marvin!

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 17:47:51 PM »
my leather bed sted is scratched to bits but i got five cats well under a year old,(year ago now) they did use cat sratcher too i got one that goes on corners they loved that, and a house with a scratcher on it. six months on it need recovering with rope. my sister got scratchers made of card they went down well.
danielle

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »
Good on you for taking on an oldie - for insurance, I would recommend either AXA or Sainsburys. AXA are slightly cheaper, and do have a better policy.
If you get things from VetUK, please consider using one of the rescue links on here, think there is about 4 or 5 of them, that way your chosen charity get 5% commission.
Food and litter - I would ask what he is using at the moment, and do a gradual change.

Further to Des's post this link will take you to the links section so a rescue can get 5% commission from VetUK  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=links;cat=7

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
Good on you for taking on an oldie - for insurance, I would recommend either AXA or Sainsburys. AXA are slightly cheaper, and do have a better policy.
If you get things from VetUK, please consider using one of the rescue links on here, think there is about 4 or 5 of them, that way your chosen charity get 5% commission.
Food and litter - I would ask what he is using at the moment, and do a gradual change.
Please spay your cat

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 00:16:54 AM »
My grey cat Zeratul wears the Periwinkle Blue Kitty Collar and it looks very good on him!  ;D

With regards to cat litter and trays... I agree with the others, see what he's used to. My guys use the premium non-clumping cat litter from Pets at Home, approx. £5 for a 25 litre bag (i've got 3 cats and 4 litter trays so i use that much!  ;))
The saying with litter trays is 1 for each cat, plus an extra one. I have 2 open trays and 2 hooded trays. Place them in different rooms for the best results.
I'd take the time while you're waiting for his neutering and vaccinations to be done to pick out a really good catflap  ;). I personally can't recommend the magnetic/ laser flaps enough, Personally i've got to try and a magnetic flap suitable for large cats  :shocked:. My two boys are HUGE and well over 7 kg (which is the size most standard cat flaps are rated to), so fun to be had there

Anyway, thats my twopennethworth  ;). Welcome to Purrs snd look forward to seeing piccies of your little furball soon  ;D

Ruth, Keli, Z and RW!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 21:47:20 PM »
I use Smart cat which is a wood pelet one but you have top orfer from a pet shop or online.

Agree with Sam, you need to see which type he uses now and go for that.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 21:44:46 PM »
oooh the cat litter question  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Personally I use Wilkinson Own brand fullers earth clumping -  it's very cheap, clumps well and holds smells in.

Another very good litter is Golden Grey (available from Zooplus)  it's a finer litter (like fine sand) and also clumps incredibly well.  It's a bit more expensive but does last a long time.

It's always best to find out what type of litter Marvin is currently using and try to stick to that type.  I know some people use wood based litter but my lot hate it and refused to go in the litter tray when I tried it.  The boys were OK but Foxy (female) hated it ... I don't think she liked the feeling of it "swelling" up under her bum  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 21:35:06 PM »
Those Kitty collars are gorgeous! I can't decide which one to get, I'll have to wait and see how stylish he looks  ;)

Thanks for that vetuk link, I'll be ordering from them soon I'm sure.

Another question, is there a particular brand of cat litter that is best?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 21:14:09 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and congrats for your new arrival Marvin  ;D

The others ahve given great advice but any more questions ask away  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 16:59:48 PM »
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs

Congratulations on the impending arrival of Marvin  :)  That's one classy name he has, very geek chic  :evillaugh:

With regards insurance, as he is classed as an older cat some comapnies will charge a flat excess of say £50 and then charge you a % of the claim aswell, normally between 20 & 30%.  I know of one company (Axa) that charges a flat excess regardless of the age of the pet but there must be others so double check this when you get quotes for him as it makes a big difference.

I guess you'll find out whether he scratches or not when he comes home, my cats were taught from kittens to scratch their scratching post and not the furniture so have never had a problem.  If he does scratch then there's lots of things you can try to discourage him but you can cross that bridge if he is a scratcher.

The flea and worming stuff (Frontline and Drontal are probably the most popular brands but there are others) are available online at half the cost as from the vets. There's lots of online pet pharmacies to choose from but lots of us on here use www.vetuk.co.uk - they do free delivery and often dispatch the items the same day.  Frontline drops last for 5 weeks and a worming tablet (Drontal for example) should be given every 3 months. Don't bother with stuff from a petshop or flea collars, they're a complete waste of money and are as much use as a c.h.ocolate teapot!  If Marvin doesn't take tablets willingly then you can hide them in something yummy, I hide the Drontal worming tablet in a blob of dairylea cheese and my cats gobble it up.

Look forward to hearing more about Marvin when he arrives  :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 16:48:07 PM »
Be careful about covering the sofa with a throw ..... I tried that and Zephyr and Foxy my two Abys both loved the throw and would scratch frantically away at it ..... as soon as I removed it no more scratching     It was woven chenille type thing from M&S and was obviously great for getting ones claws into!   

:rofl: :rofl:  Cats always have the last word!

Wholeheartedly endorse Marla's Kittycollars as being the only "safe" collar

Hock, you can still get flaps that just have a slidey bit to place over the flap, but the locking ones are scarcely more expensive and give you more control.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 16:30:57 PM »
Be careful about covering the sofa with a throw ..... I tried that and Zephyr and Foxy my two Abys both loved the throw and would scratch frantically away at it ..... as soon as I removed it no more scratching  :rofl:   It was woven chenille type thing from M&S and was obviously great for getting ones claws into!   

Also with regards to the collar .... if you are going to get him to wear a collar please ensure it is a safety one with a quick release .... Kitty collars do some lovely ones http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/

Is Marvin chipped .... or will you be getting him chipped ... at least if he loses his collar he will still be able to be reunited with you should he ever go AWOL.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 16:33:25 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline hock79

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 16:27:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, that's so helpful!

With the cat flap, ours used to have a door that you slide on to cover the flap if you needed the cat to stay in, so they have locks instead now?

I'll have to look up the best pet insurance then and I'll definitely get him checked out by a vet when I get him, if only for me to be able to check out the vet (I've been recommended one by a neighbour)

I think I would rather give him the flea and worming treatments myself if I can because it'll be hard to get to the vet that regularly. Thanks for the tip that they'll be cheaper to buy online.

I like the heart shaped scratching mat! I think I'll get him that, and thanks for the tip Sue to cover the sofa with a throw til I know whether he scratches or not.

If the flea collars aren't any good, should I get him a normal collar and get his name and my number put on it?

Oh I thought of another thing, I like the idea of a covered litter tray for whilst he's confined to the house, do cats like these, going in an enclosed space?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 15:53:27 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Hock.... :)

Looking forward to seeing piccies of your furbabe!  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 15:41:37 PM »
Hello Hock.  Welcome to Purrs!   You'll like it here I think.  There's loads of good advice and friendly people to help out with questions and guidance.  Marvin sounds great.  Glad to see you've been able to provide a home to a more mature gent.  ;)

With regard to a cat flap, Staywell do ones for glazed doors, and they're probably one of the easiest to fit, although if you don't fancy cutting glass etc, a glazier will do it cheaply enough for you.  I think the magnetic ones are a good idea if you do have a problem with strays, but it's rare.
We have two cat flaps fitted - one to the external door, and one to the internal.  Both are multiway locking, so we can schoose whether to lock the flap so Paddy can come in only, or go out only or not go out at all eg when firework time arrives.  The reason I had two fitted was not only ease of access for our cat, but also, in the event any strays were caught out when firework time comes round, they can access safety through the first door, without necessarily gaining entrance to the main house through the second.  Bit elaborate, I know, but it suits the purpose!  ;D

I would definitely recommend pet insurance whatever the age of your pet, and there are many more pet insurers now offering insurance for senior cats and dogs.  Shop around and see what's available and what types and level of cover you can find - some insurers only insure you against a specific claim limit, others for the duration of the illness, so its better going for the latter where you can afford it.

As he's an older cat, he probably won't be so inclined to scratch, although you can never be sure (Paddy still likes to scratch the carpet at the top of our stairs, and he's sixteen and a bit!)  I would put a large throw or blanket over the sseats and the arms until you see whether he's inclined to scratch or not.

We use Frontline for fleas which is a spot-on treatment, but it's as well to let your vet have a quick check of Marvin before using it first time.  You can buy spot-on treatments from your vet, although they can be a lot more expensive than buying online.  Paddy gets his done about every two months (sometimes alittle longer if we forget!)  You'll need to check initially just to make sure he doesn't have any skin irritation, and don't put it where he can lick it off (back of the neck is normally the best place to apply it)

We get Paddy wormed at the vets  about twice a year(he goes every couple of months or so as he has some long term health problems) and it's easier for us that way as he doesn't take to tablets at all well, but again, your vet can advise which method he thinks may be best if Marvin is a tablet spitter-outer (as you can get liquid wormer).  If he'll take tablets, then you can give these yourself.  You work out the dosage according to bodyweight normally.  

There'll be other suggestions for you too, so sing out if you need any more advice or help.  We'll look forward to seeing piccies of Marvin when you get him home.   :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 15:38:44 PM »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 15:28:12 PM »
I'll answer the ones I can, yes my lot use scratch posts I got mine from zooplus as well

fleas - the collars aren't any good, you can buy frontline from chemists, pets at home or on line it lasts 4 weeks

worming, I buy drontal on line

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 15:24:58 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

1.  With regards to the cat flaps .... check out the following site;  http://www.catflaps.co.uk/  there are links at the bottom of the page for cat flaps in single and double glazed doors.

2.  It's always worth getting pet insurance .... I'm sure you will get plenty of advice as to the best policies from everyone on here.

3.  If Marvin looks like he is going to scratch the corners of the sofa you can get some stuff called Sticky Paws http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=47&pf_id=3185   or if you are like me you can use double sided sellotape  :evillaugh:  Most cats do like scratching posts as long as they are sturdy or you could get a scratch mat (mine have a heart shaped one from Zooplus ... http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=scratch+mat

4.  Worming .... my lot get wormed every 6 months by the vet.

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing lots of pics of Marvin when he arrives.  BTW ... well done on taking on an "older" puss.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx

After thought ..... if you use the link to Zooplus at the bottom of anypage on the Purrs site ... Purrs will get a commission and you will get a 10% discount on your first order  ;)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 15:32:41 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline hock79

• Kitten
Newbie first cat in years!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 15:15:08 PM »
Hi there, I'm new and after some advice, you all seem so friendly and helpful!

I grew up with cats but I'm getting my first cat of my own in a couple of weeks and I'm a bit out of practice! His name is Marvin and he's 11 years old so I'm sure he'll be coming with many of his own ways and habits. Anyway, I'm trying to prepare for him as best I can and have a few questions if anyone can help.

1) I need to get a cat flap fitted, obviously I'll keep him in for a few weeks until he knows it's home and he's staying, but then I need to get a cat flap put into a glazed door, I've only seen one type that does this, and I can't find any of the ones that are magnetic/ infa-red to stop strays coming in. Is it worth getting one of those or are they more money than they're worth?

2) As he is 11 will I be able/will it be worthwhile getting pet insurance?

3) Although I'm not overly concerned about my leather sofa getting ruined (or else I wouldn't be getting him!) any tips to prevent him scratching it? Do cats actually use scratching posts? (mine never used to!) I also have a cream carpet but I'm resigned to that getting dirty!

4) I think we used to be very laid back cat owners when we had them, we would feed them when they asked to be fed, they had a cat flap so came and went as they pleased, had a flea collar and got given worming tablets and I think that was about it. I read something about having to take your cat to the vet for de-worming and such every six weeks or so, you don't have to do that really do you?

Link to CatChat