Author Topic: Madeleine - Siamese cat missing in Chatham area  (Read 66121 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: 2 Siamese on the street due to owner dying
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 18:54:27 PM »
I do hope you manage to catch her, 10 out of 10 for time and effort  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 18:48:25 PM »
Whitehall Farce is the term that comes to mind1  :rofl: :rofl:

The good thing is we've got a very helpful lady and her son (who rescued the ladder) who will monitor both traps and refresh the baits regularly. She isn't an animal lover but knew the man and feels so sorry about how his life ended. She said the cats were all the family he had and she'd like to see them save and being looked after. With one trap next to the cat flap in the garden, and another next to the front door, there is little else we can do but wait.  :shy:

They are such a nice family. Really well brought up kids  - quite a shock when all you see is chavs & pikeys now  :evillaugh:
The younger son said he wanted to rescue cats when he gets older  :) - he was really getting into it  :evillaugh: "shall I pass the trap over to you" etc
The older son said he will check the trap regularly for us - he said his mum made him check it when football was on  :evillaugh: - The younger son said "and it was Man U - 1 nil" (or something - I don't understand football talk  :evillaugh:)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 18:50:56 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 18:18:30 PM »
Hope you get her before the house is gutted, she doesnt need anymore wind up her bum  :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 17:09:33 PM »
Whitehall Farce is the term that comes to mind1  :rofl: :rofl:

The good thing is we've got a very helpful lady and her son (who rescued the ladder) who will monitor both traps and refresh the baits regularly. She isn't an animal lover but knew the man and feels so sorry about how his life ended. She said the cats were all the family he had and she'd like to see them save and being looked after. With one trap next to the cat flap in the garden, and another next to the front door, there is little else we can do but wait.  :shy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 16:58:19 PM »
it'll definately make an article for the scratching post, maybe a little press release???

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2008, 16:57:19 PM »
Pretty soon we will be able to write a book about this!!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2008, 16:54:09 PM »
No but it was quite a drop to the pavement  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2008, 16:50:01 PM »
so people have seen it? that must be a good thing

in what way a wuss, did you cry!! :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2008, 16:47:07 PM »
No Luck.

Julie was already there with a council woman when I arrived. They said they can't kep coming to let us in and check - also Serco will need to get in the house soon to gut it. Apparently, the flap is now sealed but only with gaffrer tape so Julie said a determined cat will get in. The old man 2 doors away has been feeding them as well. Julie suggested putting a trap in his garden but he has his own cat and he said all the local cats feed in his garden so he didn'r want then getting trapped. Anyway the neighbour round the corner loaned us a stepladder to get over the side wall. I have set another trap by the back door - Julie set one by the front door. It was a fiasco as the ladder tipped over and I was a wuss. The woman's son who is about 15 scaled it easily to get the ladder back  :-[

Anyway. Not sure what is happening now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 16:47:50 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2008, 14:36:25 PM »
I was reading about that coat change thing in bed last night!  its to do with heat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2008, 14:23:49 PM »
Caledonia, I am told a Siamese coat changes from dark to light the more it is exposed to sunlight? I dunno?  :-: But Melissa's coat is still quite dark and Madeline's coat is white. The evidence is that Melissa is quite happy being indoors and Madeline wants to be on the tiles. I would think if I'm right they probably aren't that fussed about each other. At any rate, we don't believe they are related.  :sneaky: We got the call about them over a week ago now and the man had died a couple of days before that, so these 2 have more or less been fending for themselves all this time, and probably been quite independant from each other.  :'(

Wish us luck. Off for another go very shortly!  :tired: :evillaugh:

Wow I have never heard that about their coats - thats amazing. My wee man was a Balinese (long haired Siamese) and was an indoor cat and was nearly white but then he was a lilac point whcih are lighter anyway but I had no idea that their fur changed based on their exposure to sunlight - I thought it was just based on their pointage - seal points being darker! Learn something new every day as they say!

I hope Madeline turns up soon and doesn't get too distressed. How on earth did the woman end up with a scratch? Maybe I read wrong but it sounds as if the cat was all 'trapped up' and now she isn't and the lady is injured. I also work for the local housing department I think I would have been leaving this job to the proffessionals - you guys!  ;D
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Super Cat
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2008, 14:10:01 PM »
I think the cats were out when the man died. the police then came along and knocked the door down.. That was over 10 days ago, we caught Melissa on the 26th yes thats right, but the other one is the younger and supposely less timid of the two.. They didnt hang around together Melissa being indoor puss and the other one more outside..Thats all we know.. We also dont want to risk Melissa with a cat that could of been doing the rounds for a while, so the plan would be to get her check out at the vets and then introduce her.. But its all ifs and buts... Maybe she will calm down when she realises she is safe. But as Julie says i doubt we are going to get much help from the council now on.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2008, 14:07:31 PM »
Caledonia, I am told a Siamese coat changes from dark to light the more it is exposed to sunlight? I dunno?  :-: But Melissa's coat is still quite dark and Madeline's coat is white. The evidence is that Melissa is quite happy being indoors and Madeline wants to be on the tiles. I would think if I'm right they probably aren't that fussed about each other. At any rate, we don't believe they are related.  :sneaky: We got the call about them over a week ago now and the man had died a couple of days before that, so these 2 have more or less been fending for themselves all this time, and probably been quite independant from each other.  :'(

Wish us luck. Off for another go very shortly!  :tired: :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2008, 13:56:49 PM »
Julie is at the house no sign of cat.The council lady who thought puss was easy to pick up is at the hospital due to the large scratch it gave her. Julie has set the trap again, bunged up all escape routes and is going back 3ish this afternoon. I am not sure its a good idea (when and if we trap this one) whether we put her with Melissa she may get into a fight now being seperated for nearly 2wks... and with all the agro going on..

I thought that Melissa was just caught on the 26th - four days ago? Do you think they were living seperate since the old man died? Maybe possibile that they were coming and going together until Melissa was caught?

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Super Cat
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2008, 13:39:18 PM »
Please note if we catch this puss cat, i dont recommend putting her with Melissa at the moment.. It may be war!! Good luck and let me know how you get on..Julie if you wish i will do the phone the rest of the day.. so you dont have to thing about that..!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2008, 13:33:17 PM »
I am just having a quick cuppa then of to Canterbury - I will go via PAH and Wilkinsons if there is time so will see you around 3pm

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2008, 13:28:45 PM »
I've come home for a cuppa before going back to check the trap inside the house. Couldn't see Madeline (puss's name) anywhere and after her colleague got mangled this morning, and had to go to hospital for treatment, the council lady refused to come in and help me look.  :rofl: I don't care how much they insist Madeline's still in the house, she just plain isn't!  :tired: I over-turned chairs, sofas, beds and a wardrobe looking for her and she would have tried to escape and made a noise for sure.  :sneaky:

It's all getting very silly now. I doubt we will get anymore co-operation from the council after this morning's incident.  :evillaugh: But what I am thinking is that although we don't wish to trap Madeline in the house with no means of getting to her, what we could do is place a trap over the cat flap outside in the rear garden. That way, IF she's in the house, the only way she can get out is via our trap. We would then need to get the our friendly neighbour's son on scene (Mrs Jameson) go climb up and have a look every now and again. Apparantly, Mrs Jameson's son did try to seal the cat flap from the garden side last night, but Madeline shouldered it in again.  :shify: At any rate, they've no way we are going to be able to scoop this puss up. We have to wait til she's so hungry she's no option but to go for the trap. But I hope that her stubborn streak doesn't overrule her head.  :(

I've seen pictures of chocolate point siamese before and they look so sweet and dainty. But this one is behaving like the worst farm Tom cat I've ever had to deal with.  :rofl: :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Just spoken to Julie,

We are meeting up there at 3pm - lets hope we can get this poor cat.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
Poor  , poor little thing , it has lost its mate and its owner , it must feel totally abandoned. :'(

• Super Cat
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
Julie is at the house no sign of cat.The council lady who thought puss was easy to pick up is at the hospital due to the large scratch it gave her. Julie has set the trap again, bunged up all escape routes and is going back 3ish this afternoon. I am not sure its a good idea (when and if we trap this one) whether we put her with Melissa she may get into a fight now being seperated for nearly 2wks... and with all the agro going on..

Mark, Julie suggested if you are around later on that two hands are better then one.. But if the council want let us have access then no go for rest of the day..

This puss must be terrified... almost feral like!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
Oh foingers crossde they get the poor little darling out ok. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »
News Flash.

Cat is trapped in the house and the women from the council are there.

I phoned Julie to arrange to meet there. Straight after, Sharon phoned me to say the cat was in the house and the women would only wait 20 minutes. Then I phoned Julie and she had just arrived. The cat is very upset so Julie has a task - Even if I left this second, it would take me 20 minutes so I will hold fire and hope for the best.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »
~Not sure if you have left yet Julie but I will just have a cuppa and leave.

PS - My fave cafe is at the end of "Borough"  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:22:39 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Prob a really stupid quest/statement but if the other cat could smell it's siblng maybe it would be easier to trap, though this wouldn't be possible would it?  what a difficult situation, I am trying to trap a feral (I managed the other 3 kittens but this one I just cannot trap!) so I have every sympathy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:38:21 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »
Thanks, Mark.  :hug:

I'm about to leave and will be there around 10am. I'd be awfully glad of a friendly face and perhaps someone to take over for a few minutes while I go off in seach of a loo.  :evillaugh: Don't worry about the ladder though. Even if it was legal, and we could get over without braking our necks, it looks like an amazon jungle in there and you'd be hard pressed to find a full sized panther let alone a cat that doesn't want to be found.  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
I can go as well if it's any help?

I could bring a stepladder to get over the wall as long as we aren't done for trespassing  :scared:

• Super Cat
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2008, 08:10:57 AM »
I will speak to co ordinator after 9am and get her to giveyou a ring on the mobile if you are not around at home.. !

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2008, 08:04:53 AM »
I was about to say the same thing, Sharon. It's blooming horrible outside and puss is bound to be in it's house.  :tired: I think I'll allow myself an extra cuppa seeing as it's my only day off this week.  :evillaugh: I will head down there in an hour or so.

Trouble is, we need access to this house to either trap puss in one room, OR block up points of entry so it can't get back and make it for likely puss will come across our traps. But the nice well meaning lady from the council is no cat catcher!  :evillaugh: She was very helpful at first, but obviously she thought it was going to be a case of scooping up puss and shoving her in a basket. But puss is scared and confused and it's going tp someone determined to do the job. She has let puss slip past her and out the door twice now when she's been in, and it's unpredictable as to when she can go and check up on the house. We've tried to make an appointment with her so we can be there when she arrives but no joy.  :(

All a bit of a stalemate and unless we can liase properly with the council and all work together, this could run and run. And all the time, puss is not getting enough food and may end up wandering off in search of more plentiful supplies. So yes, we are all a bit worried here.  :scared:

• Super Cat
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
Still no news on the other one, but there is a stake out going on today. Although it is raining heavily so not sure how productive that will be..

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2008, 01:20:22 AM »
Any news? I'm sitting here on tenterhooks  :Crazy:

• Super Cat
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2008, 13:39:25 PM »
I wouldnt dream of splitting them up..if they are best mates. But the ongoing saga with the other one is taking its time and poor puss in Pen is lonely.. Just spending a few minutes giving her a good brush etc she perked up no end....Got a good purr out of her.. etc.. Sadly we dont have any other pens to take her two that are better at the moment. and all indoor fosterers are full up with needy cases...!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2008, 13:30:50 PM »
Even if these two aren't best buddies I think they wuld still have to go as a pair .... like Mark says it's familiarity.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2008, 13:24:45 PM »
I would tend to agree with Mark. Wait and see how the pair are with each other as that would be only fair.

My two came to me after the death of their owner and had been together all their lvies. They grrom each other, sleep side by side and look out for each other. They adjusted into my house so well, probbaly because they had the comfort of each other. It may well be the case with these two so I would wait and see how they are before deciding to rehome one of them - the other one is probably running very scared and wil hopefully appear very soon.

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2008, 13:10:12 PM »
I think they are an item even if they aren't best friends - it's familiarity. I would wait and see how they react if & when they are reintroduced.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 13:05:27 PM »
well if the other one doesn't turn up Sharon............

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »
I think I'd try and home them together, I've seen 2 siamese together before and very close and they also like lots and lots of attention don't they? I hope they can be reunited soon esp having lost their owner too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 13:03:50 PM by janeyk »

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »
Update on Melissa
Of to the vets this morning (i got very wet).. Melissa is a sweetie and seems in good health.. Although she is underweight 3.2kg should be more 4.0 something...
Her teeth look good.

I am in abit of a quandry.. I would love to give Melissa a chance with my two, she is a very laid back puss cat. I got her chin rubbing me and purring, but she is on her own at the moment in a pen.. Trouble is if her companion is caught and they get on then they will have to be rehomed togehter.. I cannot take on 2 cats with my two already, so if they were a pair it would be out the question. Also i am away on hols end of May and it would mean that family members would have to carry on looking after a new inmate.. Generally my two are set in their ways and Leo will usually come in at night..I doubt Melissa is a true outdoor cat, she is fine being handled and really perked up when she had company... But i cannot split her and her companion us. I could temp foster her but again it would all change if the other one is finally caught.. She seems very laid back and i dont think my Bella would have a problem with her but maybe Leo would.. Although i dont have any spare rooms i do have a small office and my bedroom where she could stay for a few days and introduce slowly.. Our doors are open throughout the day due to access for my cats but i think she is far to nervous to go anywhere. I also have my brothers cats i tortie and one burmese.

Thoughts pls, or am i letting my heart rule my head!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 16:54:30 PM »
Very best of luck catching the other kitty.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 16:41:08 PM »
I hope the other one turns up Sharon, if I was nearer I nap them!

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 16:40:10 PM »
Further to this. The other puss is s c.h.o.c point 4yrs old female called Madeline.. Both were obv very cared for animals as all up to date with vac etc... I dont think they are related though...

Link to CatChat