Author Topic: Saw a dog get killed on the motorway today  (Read 6301 times)

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
Re: Saw a dog get killed on the motorway today
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 01:50:07 AM »
Sorry you had to see that :-S

Would lighting a candle for the little fella help at all?

I'm thinking about you.
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 23:56:57 PM »
Im guessing with the extreme wnds hey may have been in a kennel or encolsure that blew down. Im right down in the south east where its been really bad. We have Operation Stack on and its getting worse.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 20:55:12 PM »
How do they get on Motorways just madness :(
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 20:52:10 PM »
Sadly today saw a black cat dead on A48 just after leaving M4 but it was in the fast lane, A48 like the motorway and there is no hard shoulder or anywhere to stop.

RIP little cat.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 20:10:57 PM »
That is awful i recall myself two years ago wathcing a cat get flipped across the road by a speeding car that didn't even bother to stop and how much it hurt inside..

My thoughts are with you both xx
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 18:36:05 PM »
Hippy , if the dog was not taken by the owners then it should not have been PTS. Yes vets can and do pts healthy animals cos their owners ask them to  >:( >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »
I wish I'd never gone in at that time it really upset me but I'll just have to try and forget it. 

I know exactly what you are saying and often wish I did not hear the horror stories I do on a daily basis. However, in a way that would be burying my head in the sand and not knowing the implications of the horrors of uncaring owners. If we know at least we can try to educate people

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Gill, could you enlighten me please? The couple who took the dog to be pts were not its official owners, surely therefore they had no right to ask the vet to pts, this would effectively be stealing the dog from their father. Likewise, wasn't it illegal for the vet to pts (if that's what happened) a dog unaccompanied by its lawful owner?

I think it should be unlawful for any healthy animal to be pts, but that would criminalise the RSPCA and the entire meat industry......

in an ideal world.....

PS I'm a dedicated veggie of 28years.

It says a great deal for Buffy and janeyk that they care so much.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 22:23:49 PM »
So sad about the dog on the motorway, I understand how you feel. I was so devasted after seing a cat lying by the side of the M4 last summer I had to stop at the first place I could cos I could not drive on anymore. One feels so helpless cos you cant just stop.

It does drift into the past eventually but it takes a long time.

I think it should be unethical for vets to PTS healthy animals for no good reason, I know this is probably unworkable but I do not think there should be stigma attached to a vert who rehomes rather than PTS. My misa went to CO from a vet who saved him and another one he was with and this should not be regarded as wrong , in my opinion. >:( >:(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Yes, that's the problem Ela, if they said no they just probably go elsewhere, Ste said he doesn't think they will have done it because the receptionist was whispering I'll take the dog in if you want to stay here or you go and leave him under the table here with me til the vets ready and they didn't seem too upset either, but the way the vet spoke to me it sounded like they had done it and I said to the receptionist I couldn't cope if I was you I'll be thinking about the dog all night and she said yes it's very hard I will be too. I don't know what to think really it was when the receptionist was asking do you want to be with the dog I was praying they'd say no which they did thankfully but then she came out with just it's lead. I wish I'd never gone in at that time it really upset me but I'll just have to try and forget it. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:45:35 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
they'd have discretely told me but maybe unethical to do so.

They cannot as if the life was saved and it got out that vet would be in serious trouble.

We had a case once where someone took 2 cats to be PTS.  Our vet did everything in their power to persuade not to PTS and sign them over. The owners stayed whilst the first cat was PTS first but left before the 2nd was PTS, that is all I am saying on this. Had the vet refused there is a vet close by that would have most certainly PTS without question.

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »
The dog would have been killed instantly as it was hit at high speed and it wasnt in tact afterwards. Further down the carriageway i saw the police going towards it so it had been reported. The traffic was slowing but it ran out onto a different bit of the carriageway so a speeding car approached. Everything slowed down then so i hope the other one was ok.

God i feel sick.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
Hello Buffy,

I don't know what to say...that is dreadful.  How come two dogs are running along the central reservation of a motorway?  Did any cars slow down?  Was the dog definitely killed do you think?  I wonder if anyone informed the traffic police?  The other dog was still on the loose and could have caused an accident so the Police would definitely be interested in such an incident.

I just hope the poor little babe was killed outright and didn't suffer.  You could probably find out more if yor rang the police and asked for further news, saying that the event is haunting you.

It is too heartbreaking for words.

Lots of love

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
Well I'd like to think so but I was really crying my eyes out and given that we've been going there 16 yrs I would have thought they'd have discretely told me but maybe unethical to do so.  I felt so helpless though and I was the only one bawling my eyes out (altho' I stood at the wall reading the notices)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:10:11 AM by janeyk »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »
OH MY GOD THATS TERRIBLE
but you might be right, the vet might not have put him to sleep.

I told a story on here last year about a cat that was brought in to be PTS because the owner was going into care .......Well The cat is NOT at Rainbow Bridge  :ok:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
Know how you feel we took Byron to our vets the other evening and in came a couple asking for their father's dog to be pts.  They said look he's too much for him he's old and takes him for a walk. The dog was one of those scruffy looking terriers all happy tail wagging and scurrying for fusses.  I turned to Steve and said oh no why and was in floods of tears.  Ste was getting annoyed with me and said it's not our business I think he thought I'd make a scene but I was so annoyed and upset.  To cut a long story short, when I could eventually speak to the vet I said why couldn't he be rehomed she said we asked but they said no his wife had just died and he wanted the dog to go with her and we've to respect her wishes, the dog was 6yrs old!!  I was devastated and to be honest can't see my vet in the same light now.  If it wasn't for the fact we live so near and it's a godsend with older cats I wouldn't go again, I still want to say something because I thought they were there to help animals.   Ste said they may not have done it because  the receptionist just came out with the lead but I'll never know that.  In their defence I know they couldn't have rehomed it round here but could have refused to do it.  It's been a very upsetting few days for me too so I've every sympathy for you all you have visions of are the dogs face.xx
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:35:46 AM by janeyk »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »
Oh Buffy how terrible -

Hopefully the dog was killed instantly and didnt suffer.

Big {{hugs}} to you, i know what you are going through having seen a cat being killed a couple of months ago. All i can say it that it does get easier and you do stop thinking about it

:hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »
How sad, I feel terrible for the dogs but also for you, I know last year how I felt when I witnessed in Cornwall a load of seagulls in the middle of the road quite possible scavenging when a car mowed some over some managed to fly away but others sadly did not, I was heartbroken although I expect some will say good job.

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
Saw a dog get killed on the motorway today
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:37:52 AM »
It was horrible. I was absolutely awful, i was beside myself. 2 German shepherds i think - they were cream, running down the middle of the motorway and they tried to cross it and one got hit. I saw and heard it.

It was horrid. Cant stop crying and thinking about it. How can i get the memory away....

Link to CatChat