Author Topic: My cat is annoying!  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My cat is annoying!
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
my oh says its because I wear handcream - not sure if same applies to your oh!!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »
I'm very jealous!  three of ours sit on OH and none on me   :'( :'(

My husband feels the same, every time I sit in bed I get three cats. When he comes to bed they all leave!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
I'm very jealous!  three of ours sit on OH and none on me   :'( :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
My mum her cat 2 years ago and her biggest regret is Lack of affection. She said she would love a cat that would sit on her lap and follow her to bed.

A couple of weeks ago. I had to collect a cat we had rehomed a few months ago. The reason she gave was that he was peeing - but when I spoke to her, it turned out that she had wanted a companion but he wasn't at all affectionate.

Willow drives me crazy - she will happily hang over my shoulder when I am doing stuff and sit on me if I am still for more than one second - I wouldn't have it any other way
Although, I have got a dead leg right now  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
As Hippy says cherish every precious moment of love and affection with your furbaby. 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
About the dribbling though, I'd advise a visit to the vet in case he has a mouth problem.

Already done  ;). Vet says it's just Jack and because he has had to have all of his teeth removed.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
The only cats I've ever met who've ignored humans and just slept have either been totally feral or had owners who ignored them and had done all their lives. Sounds like your cat's previous owners loved to give and receive attention from puss, so making him a loving cat. You can't change this, just try to change your attitude towards it. Your cat loves you unconditionally, no matter how fat you are, how you look, and will be there long after the boyfriend has gone. You cat will comfort you when you're low and give you love when the rest of the world seems a dark place.

Cherish this, don't view this affection as something negative. It's great to be so loved, even if it means you get a few claw marks in your thighs: these are marks of honour.

About the dribbling though, I'd advise a visit to the vet in case he has a mouth problem.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 17:42:22 PM »
Despite popular misconception, cats love company and will hang with their favourite human even if it means missing out on exciting things like watching the birds on the feeder next door.
Spot on.

As a first time cat-owner I didn't realise cats could be just so affectionate. I am woken up every morning by a loud purr and a gorgeous cat stretched out across my chest, nudging his face into mine.

Then at other times he will just follow me around the house, and sit down wherever I stop, stare at me and meow- I feel guilty and always have to drop everything just to give him some playtime. Talk about the cat ruling my life!!!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 23:34:41 PM »
Most cats in my previous experience sleep for the majority of the day. 

You've clearly not met Jaffa and Mosi!  :rofl:  They don't do a lot of sleeping.  Jaffa is very in your face and it can be annoying at times - he was walking back and forwards across me earlier when I was trying to drink a cup of coffee - but he's my Jaffa and he only does it because he wants some cuddles and attention.  And with a purr that loud I have to forgive him!  Mosi is a nutcase who wants to play at the most inconvenient times (like 5am) but I wouldn't swap either of them and am glad they are affectionate cats who want to be with me.

I agree that an outdoor litter tray would be a good thing to try re the toileting issues.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 21:24:32 PM »
If im boerd whatching  tv  marys  nowhere to be seen  the second i try to do somat like now she appears as if by  magic  mew mew    :)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 19:49:52 PM »
I have had cats for over 30 years. No cat will leave you alone if you are at home. They may come and go about their business, but they are at their happiest if they are with you. Mine have accompanied me about gardening and snoozing in the sun. If I am sick they have worked out a rota amongst themselves so I am never alone, and right now as I type, despite being free to go outside, one of them is snuggled up to my leg, and firmly attached like a limpet. Despite popular misconception, cats love company and will hang with their favourite human even if it means missing out on exciting things like watching the birds on the feeder next door.

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
Understand what you mean,

Jack would be with you 25hrs a day if it was possible and loves sitting on my lap under the desk as I am on the computer, this is compounded by the fact that having no teeth he dribbles, so I spend a lot of time covered in cat slobber  :shify:

Fred is also very loving but does go out more, his favourite trick is to walk 2" behind you all the time, especially when cooking. His day is not complete without being stood on and sworn at  :Crazy: He also begs to be picked up.  :naughty:

Thing is previous cats I have had have been a lot more independent, being farm cats they tolerated you rather than being loving so I am absolutely over the moon with having cats that I can be a real meowmy to and I wouldn't change them in any way  :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 18:40:38 PM »
Oh dear, I didn't mean to sound heartless and uncaring.  I do genuinely love Tinker!!! 

I knew EXACTLY what you meant  :evillaugh:  I love my boys to bits but one of them in particular is quite possibly the most annoying creature ever to grace this earth, I wouldn't change him for the world though  :) (well, OK, maybe a few teensy things then  :evillaugh:)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 17:15:54 PM »
I know it can be annoying at times. I can't sit down without Willow jumping on me. The basement is my only escape as she doesn't go down there often. If I eat on my lap, she is trying to settle on my shoulder of chest and if I eat at the table, she walks around sniffing my plate and trying to get on my shoulder  :Crazy: - trying to read a book or newspaper at the table is impossible as she sits on it  :Crazy: - it is frustrating - as OH says "she loves you"  :)

Can't live with them, can't live without them  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 17:16:27 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 16:40:37 PM »
 :welcome:

My Lexy is very much a one her own terms kind of cat. Some days she won't leave me alone, others she can't bear to be near me  :evillaugh:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 16:36:07 PM »
Tinker sounds just like Milo, he has to be with you 24/7 when we're at home,

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 16:27:28 PM »
I'd second the outdoor litterbox that Alison has suggested. Or you could just scoop the poop and throw it away every time she goes (just like what you would do with a normal litterbox) - I have numerous neighbour cats who use my garden as their litterbox and it's incredibly unpleasant. I really cannot stand it and I have to put up with it even though they aren't my animals.

I can't advise about the other part as I have a cat who clings for attention .. but his behaviour doesn't annoy me. He is where ever I am (total mummy's boy).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 16:24:01 PM »
Try having a litter box either outside or indoors (there should be one available for cats at all times – they are picky!).

As for the clingy bit, I’ve got a Burmese Lirael who has to be everywhere you are and ‘helping’ you with whatever you are doing.

And she’s on many occasions spilled hot coffee all over me from not understanding that mugs + hot drink + spilled = unhappy mom.  I’ve learned to put the coffee down on the table next to me until she settles – though this doesn’t always work.

You know if Tinker wasn’t around you a lot you’d just complain that your cat ignored you ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 16:22:14 PM »
I think we know what you mean  :evillaugh:

Whilst I love every furry inch of my boy, some days he gets in moods where he will follow me absolutely everywhere, get under my feet constantly, and generally want me to play with him all the time until bedtime, and then some  :)

My only worry when he does that is that he does sometimes get trodden on, as I just can't see him if I'm carrying the wash basket or something  :shy:

I wouldn't change him though, there's something about furry cuddles which make all the problems of the day just melt away in seconds  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline ahemsley

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 16:17:55 PM »
Oh dear, I didn't mean to sound heartless and uncaring.  I do genuinely love Tinker!!! 

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 15:47:45 PM »
Hey Ahemsley and  welcome to purrs,

I must say though I find it a bit odd that you find your cat to be so annoying,I personally would love to have a total lap cat,theres nothing more relaxing than a cat that settles on your knee of a night time and purrs,personally I find it so de-stressing :Luv: 

If you don't like your cat doing its business in the garden maybe you should provide it with a cat litter try so it could do indoors,then it would save your garden :shify:

Your cat sounds a dream,16 years old is a good age for a cat and to disturb her ruitine now could make her very unhappy in her final years :(
Love me,love my animals.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 15:25:14 PM »
I seem to remember reading that if cats poo and do not cover it up they are marking their territory. :evillaugh:

Would an out door litter tray be worth trying

Offline ahemsley

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 15:17:50 PM »
Cheesecat - it's because she spends ages kneading and takes a long time to settle down.  And it's hard to drink a cup of tea with a cats tail in your face!  I don't mind it most of the time, it's just sometimes I want to have a sit down without a cat on me.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 15:10:57 PM »
Is it not a bit insensitive to try and get your cat to go to the toilet in other peoples gardens because you don't like it? I don't think they will either -especially as its not their cat!!

What don't you like about your cat wanting to spend time with you on the sofa etc? We let ours on our laps when they like, unless they are sitting on something we are doing or if we have one of the others on our laps (and they start going to sit on top of them!  :evillaugh: ) when we move them next to us rather than on us, sometimes they keep trying to get back on, but normally understand after you move them off and elsewhere a few times. We have started always sitting at the dining table for food as it is a nightmare having to keep cats off your lap and not in your dinner otherwise!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 15:12:42 PM by Cheesecat »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 15:07:57 PM »
one of mine poos in the lawn and tries for ages to cover it with three blades of grass, apart from picking up daily can't really advise, not sure your neighbours would be too impressed if you got her to go elsewhere!

Offline ahemsley

• Kitten
My cat is annoying!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 14:58:51 PM »
I got my cat, Tinker, 4 years ago when she was 12.  I got her through Cats Protection because her owner had split with her husband and was having to move into a flat - she therefore decided to re-home her 3 cats because it would be unfair to keep them permanently indoors.  Tinker is quite a character.  She absolutely loves human company and whenever new people come round she has to sit on everyone's knee.  She has a bit of a dribble problem, and also tends to pull people's clothes when she sits on them, but we just put her on a blanket on our laps so it's fine. 

The problem is really that she's obsessed with me and my boyfriend.  Most cats in my previous experience sleep for the majority of the day.  They might come and see you for food when you get home from work, but most of the time they are self-sufficient and will only come and see you when they can be bothered.  Tinker is not like that.  If I'm in and sitting down then she wants to sit on me, even if I'm eating, or have something else (e.g. papers) on my lap.  If I'm not sitting down then she's always somewhere close by - usually under my feet, and I often nearly trip over her, or kick her accidentally because I don't know she's in the way.  She's particularly bad when my boyfriend and I are sitting on the sofa - she always wants to come and join us.

Now, I love Tinker very much and would never get rid of her, but I'd like her to be a bit less obsessed with me and company.  I wonder if she's bored because she used to live with 2 other cats but now she's on her own.  I don't know whether getting another cat would be good or bad for her.  We live in a 2 bedroom flat with a garden, so there's some room for 2 territories, but not too much.  It is better when it's summer/spring, because if you open the back door then she'll happily go out and play by herself for a bit, or sit in the sun.  She's a very healthy cat and is doing very well for her age - she still plays like a kitten and races up and down the flat from time to time when feeling a bit skittish.

I have tried to "train" her by using a plastic container with dried pasta in it to shake at her if I want her to go away.  She seems to understand what I'm doing though and then seems to sulk.  She also deliberately tries to do things you've told her not to do.  Can anyone offer any tips??

There's one other problem with Tinker.  When she goes to the toilet, in the garden, she never digs a hole/scrapes the soil back over.  Instead she just poos and leaves it - nice!  I used to have grass, but because Tinker pooed indiscriminately on it, we took it up and put mostly pebbles down.  There are borders for her to use though.  Tinker does seem to have decided on a particular place to poo, but because she does not cover it over, it smells when you're near that place.  Any tips to try to get her to use a different area, or to go into another garden to do it?! 

Link to CatChat