Author Topic: Last weekend to look for Smudge..........RIP Smudge  (Read 15766 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Lost weekend to look for Smudge
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 06:54:39 AM »
Best of luck :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 23:32:17 PM »
Good luck tomorrow and hope that it is Smudge  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 23:31:10 PM »
Well, how spooky is this - I booked today and tomorrow off work hoping to catch up on some things I need to do and I had 2 phone calls to say that a black cat has been seen very near to the place Smudge's collar was found last week.

The 1st one this afternoon said she fed a black cat yesterday and then went to work (she's a nurse at a vet that I wrote to and sent a poster for the surgery) and she saw my poster  - she said she will phone me when she sees it again.  I planned to go there tomorrow either way to shout and look for him.

The 2nd one was this evening from a lady who saw a black cat 10 days ago before I put my posters up and when she saw my poster she looked out for the cat again and saw it tonight.  By the time I got there it was dark but I shouted for a while and then came home.  I know what I'm doing with my last day off work tomorrow - spending most of it shouting for Smudge.  Fingers and paws crossed.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 21:28:30 PM »
Thanks for asking Christine - and for caring Licia - unbelievably it was normal!!!  I would have bet on it being high after what I've gone through the last week.  Had problems with high blood pressure for about 3 years now but last month it was actually as it should be and I couldn't believe it - must be all the loving I'm getting from Bonnie and all you lot keeping me sane.  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 21:20:16 PM »
We just can't help but feeling something positive just coming around the corner with all these new happenings... fingers toes and paws and everything else crossed for ya, in the meantime try to keep your calm Mary, you want to keep your blood pressure in check  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 21:16:03 PM »
That was really nice. Keep your chin up. We're all with you on hoping all will be well. x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 21:11:24 PM »
What a caring woman  :Luv:  How is your blood pressure?  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 21:08:30 PM »
Went for a blood pressure check last night and I was telling the nurse about the shock I had last week about Smudge's collar and she lives near where it was found!!!  She said she will look out for him for me.

Mary

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
Maybe- but providing they could fly low level checks and be armed.  ;D
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
You're putting ideas in my head now - how about the red arrows putting a message in the sky!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi Mary,

;) No I'm not in the military. If I was I would search houses and gardens of people who wouldn't help or co-operate at gunpoint.  The paras would be on standby in case there was trouble.   :naughty:

Now there's a thought!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:09 AM »
Just caught up with this!  :shy:

Sending you positive vibes to bring darling Smudge home!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 22:55:21 PM »
Thanks Beanie - r u sure u r not in the military!!   :naughty: :rofl:

It's ok I don't mind all the questions or tips anyone wants to give me - I've done everything I possibly can since the morning he went missing in September - in answer to your question ans Sam's - forgot to answer you too Sam, sorry chuck - the collar was still fastened and I didn't ask the lady exactly where it was in the field - I was crying too much - think I used 1/2 box of her tissues (cheek of me!!) I presume it was on some hedges or whatever in the field - I know he once lost his collar in the fields near me on the fence.  Not sure how long it's been there as we've had lots of snow showers and rain - how quick does a metal ring on a tag get rusty? The disk  isn't rusty but the collar is worn - God only knows for certain or maybe I could get in touch with Gill Grisom on CSI  :rofl: :rofl:

My brother's best mate is an ex DCI in Keighley so I've emailed him to let everyone he knows in Keighley to look out for him and I told him to let all his police mates know - Scotland Yard might be on Smudge's trail next!! I wish.

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 22:30:54 PM »
If I lived anywhere near Keighley I would help you to do the leg work. Easy to say I know but those who know me, know that i am sincere and will do almost anything for an animal, especially a cat.

Are there any clues from the collar or where it was found? Is it worn or chewed or mud stained? That may indicate that it has been there for some time. Where was it found? on the ground ? On a branch or twig? They may seem strange questions but I believe in leaving no stone unturned in looking for a cat and plan finding them like a military exercise.

Whilst I haven't read all this thread, I assume that you have re-checked with all the rescues and vets in say a 5-10 mile radius. Was he chipped? If possible physically visit the rescues in particular and take a series of photos to show markings from the front, side, lying down, etc.

I really hope that Smudge is found, Whoever passed you the clollar sounds like the sort of person who restores your faith in human nature,

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 21:42:56 PM »
Just wishing you all the best. We have fields near us and our last cat went missing for a week before returning one morning at 3am. We presume he was in the fields.

Know how you are feeling, I know its difficult but please stay hopeful :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 21:05:53 PM »
Just to say that I too hope that renewing your efforts in this area brings a result in the form of Smudge  :hug:  Keep your spirits up while you continue your search.
[/color]

Would that be the brandy type of spirit!!  :naughty: :rofl:

THANK YOU EVERYONE - YOU ARE SUCH GREAT PEOPLE AND I'M GLAD I'M IN YOUR GANG.

Mary  :hug: :thanks:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 19:14:21 PM »
I'm so hoping that you will have success.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 17:50:21 PM »
Just to say that I too hope that renewing your efforts in this area brings a result in the form of Smudge  :hug:  Keep your spirits up while you continue your search.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 16:38:01 PM »
 :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
Wishing you all the best :hug:

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 23:09:30 PM »
Good luck !

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 22:02:20 PM »
Hi Mary, just wanted to wish you luck in finding Smudge he looks a handsome chap :wow:

I think the worst part when a cat goes missing is the not knowing, like you said you torment yourself with all kinds of thoughts ie animal experiments etc.

This surely has got to be a good sign and at least now you know where to concentrate your search.

Thinking of you

Andrea x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 21:54:09 PM »
Thanks again everyone.  I've been sleeping with Smudge's collar under my pillow hoping that there might be some telepathy between us as he spent every night sleeping on the pilllow next to me.  Bonnie's been having a good sniff at it too and making such a fuss of me bless her, she really has been my saviour.  You lot have kept me pretty sane too - yer, believe it or not I am sane!!   :rofl: :hug: :thanks:

Mary

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 21:32:37 PM »
Mary I just read this and I really do so hope this is the beginning of a good thing to come... you and Smudge so deserve to be together again!!   :wish: :wish: :wish: :hug: :hug:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 18:34:18 PM »
Good luck with your search, Mary  :hug:

The positive side of it is that, finding the collar so far away suggests that he was indeed, taken there by transport and not under his own steam, which means that he is likely to be alive and well, wherever he is.  I do hope you find him  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 16:54:31 PM »
Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your kind words.  I've already been in contact with cat rescues in the area BUT I'll contact them again to let them know the latest and I've got the address of vets in the area off internet at work today so that I can also write to them and send them a poster with latest info on.  I've contacted lots of vets but not in that area!  Spooky thing is, I was born in Keighley and my dad, grandad and grandma are buried there.  Forgot to bring my visa card to work today but tomorrow I will make sure I do so that I can phone the local newspaper in Keighley and put an ad in.

Dawn F - Ta for the PM.  Greatly appreciated.

A very big thank you to you all again.  Off home now - this is the first time I've ever gone on purrs at work but I wanted to chill out for 10 mins and I'm so tired after the long weekend search.

Mary  :hug: :thanks:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 21:28:36 PM by maryas »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 16:53:19 PM »
I hope that now you have a new area to look in , this may bring some fruitful phone calls .........lots of luck  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 16:40:58 PM »
I hope your posters find him :wish:   :hug:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 16:29:40 PM »
Oh Mary ... it's terrible that Smudge is still missing but great news that his collar being found has given you hope that he is okay  :hug: :hug:  How kind of the lady to call who found the collar to ring you, too  ;D  And how odd for his collar to be found so far away - the not knowing must be terribly frustrating  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 15:17:55 PM »
oooh Mary what a good lead .... did the collar look like it had been on the ground since September or do you think it was "dropped" more recently.

Fingers crossed the new poster campaign will bring positive results.   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
What a great lead  :wow:  Have you rung the rescues in that area to see if he was taken in by them?

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »
That was so nice of the person who found the collar to call you, so many people wouldn't.

Good luck finding smudge!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »
good luck Mary

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »
Keeping everything crossed here for you hun that the posters work  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:35:47 AM »
I do hope you find Smudge.  He may have been taken in by someone in the area.  Finding his collar must be a step in the right direction though.  Good luck

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
Fingers crossed for you Mary. I can't imagine what it must be like. Having that glimmer of hope brings you back to square one. At least you know where to concentrate your efforts now. Good luck  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 00:38:08 AM »
Gosh, what a stroke of luck she found it and was decent enough to call.
I really hope you get a positive result from this.
Thinking of you ( and Smudge ).
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 00:03:46 AM »
Thanks Gillian, I'm keepinmg my fingers crossed and hoping he is still in that area.

Mary

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 23:49:44 PM »
I got a call on Thursday evening from a lady who had found Smudge's collar whilst taking her dog for a walk in the nearby field.  Smudge went missing last September and the are his collar was found in is 30 - 40 mins away in a car.  So all weekend I have spent printing off posters and putting them up in every direction I could from the field the collar was found.

I so hope your posters in the area the collar was found will produce results, it would be such a relief to just know he was ok wouldnt it?  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Last weekend to look for Smudge..........RIP Smudge
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 23:34:52 PM »
I got a call on Thursday evening from a lady who had found Smudge's collar whilst taking her dog for a walk in the nearby field.  Smudge went missing last September and the are his collar was found in is 30 - 40 mins away in a car.  So all weekend I have spent printing off posters and putting them up in every direction I could from the field the collar was found.

I couldn't stop crying all Thursday night and now and again over the weekend - he is so near yet so far.  I now believe that he did get in someone's car/van and that he wasn't taken for experiments or fed to dogs (this horrid thing was always on my mind).  Now I feel 80% sure that he is curled up on someone's rug and ok.

Glad I have an understanding boss who was ok about me having Friday off when I phoned her at home on Thursday night.

One funny thing was that every time I shouted Smudge's name a horse or a sheep would come running across the field to me!!

Mary

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 19:57:02 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat