Author Topic: New Egyptian Mau and Bengal kittens  (Read 48883 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: New Egyptian Mau and Bengal kittens
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »
I don't know anything about maus but bengals don't mature until around 2 years so that might be when his territorial side comes out, it is a breed trait so you have to expect it, if it doesn't happen be greatful!  :)

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
I would keep strange cats away. Firstly, your cats could catch something. What vaccinations did you decide to give them? Have they had FeLV vaccine? If they haven't, I would not let them out or another cat in until they had.

They've had all their vaccinations (by the breeders), including FeLV.

Much more minor, they could catch fleas.

I give them a spot-on flea treatment, so I should be alright on that account. I did notice though, in close-up that that cat looked filthy. Compared to my 2 house cats, that big cat looked like it had been rolling around in a few garbage bins.

Also, if they feel their territory is threatened they may start to spray urine in order to mark their territory. You DO NOT want this. If they start spraying they are likely to continue, even after they are neutered.

They were both neutered at 3 months of age. Is spraying a possibility even in cats which were neutered at such a young age?

Can we see more recent photos?

Sure, but I need to upload the latest ones.

Also, my Flynn (Egyptian Mau) is rather sweet when compared to Mitzi, my Siamese/Bengal cross, not agggressive at all. But he does growl at 'foreign' cats.

Hehehe. Mine are the opposite. Reflex is the aggressive one, constantly on-guard. Even the slightest noise will agitate him. Mr Bengal on the other hand, is more laid back. If he is sleeping, for example, and burgler walked into the empty house, he probably wouldnt bother moving. Reflex though, would be very worried.

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:49 AM »
Protecting their territory from another cat is 100% normal. Also, as he was big, they may have been protecting themselves and each other from a perceived threat. All my cats, even the most sweet, growl and hiss at 'foreign' cats.

I would keep strange cats away. Firstly, your cats could catch something. What vaccinations did you decide to give them? Have they had FeLV vaccine? If they haven't, I would not let them out or another cat in until they had. Much more minor, they could catch fleas.

Also, if they feel their territory is threatened they may start to spray urine in order to mark their territory. You DO NOT want this. If they start spraying they are likely to continue, even after they are neutered.

So keep those other cats out of the house, and the conservatory.

Can we see more recent photos?

Also, my Flynn (Egyptian Mau) is rather sweet when compared to Mitzi, my Siamese/Bengal cross, not agggressive at all. But he does growl at 'foreign' cats.

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
Re: New Egyptian Mau kitten.
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2008, 22:55:37 PM »
So, today, I saw an unknown black and white, big, male moggie in my conservatory. It was meowing at me and wanted to make friends. I opened the door, stroked it and it seemed ok. Very friendly.

I had an idea. I thought it would be a good idea to grab my own kittens and see how they react to another cat.

I introduced the cat, one by one to my 2 kittens, opening the door only slightly, to prevent the cats from touching the foreign cat. Anyway, they responded to the big cat with lots of hisses and growls.

The big cat initially continued with his friendly meowing and then once he saw that Mr Bengal was doing the same thing as Reflex (growling), he backed away from the door.

Is this normal behaviour? Why is it that when Mr Bengal first arrived in my house, he was nice and friendly and open to other cats. Now he has become just like Reflex and seems very aggressive. Reflex will always be aggressive as that is his personality and part of his breed characteristic. He is also the alpha male in my house, hence might see it as his responsibility to ensure his territory is protected.

Is there any way to make my 2 cats more friendlier?

What I dont want, is in a year or 2, after they are fully grown, they escape (which is likely to happen at some stage), find a neighbourhood cat and rip it to pieces. Both cats are turning out to be very athletic and strong. The moggies that Ive seen on the street and today in my conservatory, are lethargic in comparison and wouldnt have the pace to outrun Reflex if they decided to run away. And Reflex is the sort to drag a foreign cat back into my garden where he and Mr Bengal can do whatever they wish.

Incidentally, although Mr Bengal is heavier and bigger than Reflex, Reflex is definitely the more dominant and is the ring leader. Sometimes, Reflex will encourage Mr Bengal to assist him in dragging out toys or unzip suitcases, so that he can get at the toys or get inside the suitcases.

This is what Reflex looked like 4 weeks ago:

But dont be fooled by the baby face. He is a terror and when he sees another cat, he gets very aggressive, just as in the video that I posted earlier in this thread. Both he and Mr Bengal have put on a bit of weight - their necks and bellies are both thicker. Mr Bengal is already looking substantially larger than Reflex.

ccmacey

« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2008, 00:56:09 AM »
Yeah I would say strawberry blonde too, lovely  :)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2008, 00:14:31 AM »
Hi CC

Nova is classed as a brown spotted.  There are varying shades and colouring of brown out there.  The reason Nova is so light in comparison to many others could be the amount of snow in her ped lines and her silver parentage (her dad is silver).  Shes quite buttermik coloured or as i call her my strawberry blonde  ;)

Sunama - this link might help explain better than i can.  As you can see the clearing and colouring process really begins as the kittens are due to go home and continues on.

http://www.bengal-katz.com/fuzzies.htm

ccmacey

« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2008, 00:02:51 AM »
What is Nova's colour called?

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2008, 23:59:25 PM »
No the bengal in the pic is not abnormal.  Hes certainly clearer but not what i would class fully clear.  This is a pic of my girl Nova with what i class a cleared coat.  She always had potential but did not clear her coat nor mature her colour until she as at least 8mths old.

Like everything their are shades of grey and degrees.  Some bengals get more fuzzy than others but id certainly say that Mr Bengal is with the majority in that his coat will clear better as he develops.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2008, 19:19:23 PM »
Linda. I had the option of buying this Bengal:

Pic was taken at 11-12 weeks old. As you can see his coat is clear. No fuzzies. Is this abnormal?

Mr Bengal on the other hand, has a fuzzy, unclear coat. I chose him over the one in the pic as mine will grow up to be larger, which is something I liked.

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2008, 18:45:13 PM »
Bengals only start to clear their coat around 12-14 weeks old.  The coat and colour continues to clear until they are around 8 months old.  Mr Bengal is therefore pretty normal in that his coat has not cleared properly yet  :)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »
I think 'the fuzzies' will probably go, even if they have lasted longer than usual.

Mitzi (Siamese/Bengal cross) had 'the fuzzies' for quite a while but ended up with a sleek, silky, Siamese-like coat.

Sometimes cat's names 'morph' as you have them. Blacken was called Blacken because her and her sister were 'Blacken Decker' (not my idea!). She is usually called Blackie, or Black-black, or, at the moment, 'Podgy-one' because she has been stealing the kitten's food and developing middle-aged spread.

Mini is actually Minerva (Greek goddess of wisdom) because her sister was Nike (Greek goddess of victory). That came about because Nike was called Nike when I got her (not that the kids who named her knew about Nike being a goddes of victory).

Samwise ended up as Sam.

Liquorice ended up as Lickie.

So Mr Bengal may end up as Mister, Ben, Benny, Bengali or something entirely different.

What about Big Ben?

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »
I think Mister Bengal is much nicer than just Bengal

Mr Bengal is a bit of a mouthful. Bengal is much easier.

Bengal is easier but not much different to a generic Max or Tigger  ;)

Ive seen lots of cats on various forums called Max or Tigger. Ive never heard of a Bengal, whose name is Bengal. I think its unusual to call a cat by its breed name.

Another feature about the Bengal which is outstanding is his size. I know he is big for his age and will grow to a large size like his parents.

Oh, and his coat is very fuzzy, something that he shouldve grown out of at a much earlier age, but still hasnt.

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2008, 23:10:40 PM »
Id be very surprised if Mr Bengal didnt have something outstanding about him  ;)

Nice to see the boys have settled down  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2008, 20:23:26 PM »

Bengal is easier but not much different to a generic Max or Tigger  ;)

He must have something outstanding or different about him other than his feet lol

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2008, 23:26:19 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2008, 23:20:34 PM »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2008, 23:20:01 PM »
I like Mr Bengal :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2008, 23:19:15 PM »
Im erring towards 'Bengal'.
I wont be having another Bengal, so it wont be a problem.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 23:21:12 PM by sunama »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2008, 23:09:44 PM »
They look great together  ;D

I reckon if his pedigree name is Mr Bengal, then thats his name  ;D  Can always be called Mister or Ben or Bengie  ;D

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2008, 22:55:39 PM »
Flynn's favourite ... faviourte toy is this cheeping mouse/bird which comes on elastic (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/cat_dangler/13641)

I bought that one on your recommendation. Reflex likes it too and chews on it until it is soaking wet, though he does prefer to chase the basic wagler toy
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/cat_dangler/13638

I use that to go up and down the cat tree, so he gets to go up and down the tree, quickly - excellent exercise.

Still no name?

No name yet. Its between the following now:
Bengal
Bigfoot

His pedigree name is Mister Bengal.

I'm still undecided as he doesnt have any outstanding features, like Reflex had. And I dont want to give him a generic name like Max or Tigger.

You must be delighted with them.

Oh yes. Especially that they both keep eachother company.

Before Mr Bengal's arrival, Reflex used to follow me around EVERYWHERE. When I wasnt in, he used to go and sleep in his bed and wait for me. He wouldnt even goto the loo - he would wait for me to return and then would begin his day. Now that Mr. Bengal has arrived, he follows him around instead, though today he did leave Mr Bengal in the lounge and came and laid on my bed, while I was watching Lost. So, I can now get on with my day to day duties, without having to worry about a cat following me around.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2008, 18:43:48 PM »
:Luv: :Luv: glad the boys have settled down, has bengal got a name yet?

Glad you asked that question MM ... I don't like referring to him as "The Bengal"  :rofl:

So pleased things have settled down and they certainly look very happy in each others company  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2008, 18:37:06 PM »
I am pleased they have settled in together. I have the same cat acivity centre (in blue) and my two still try to sleep together in the little house, but it is far too small now!

Reflex has exactly the same shaped head as Flynn. Flynn's favourite brush is a 'Zoom Groom' (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/crombs_brushes/37479) and his faviourte toy is this cheeping mouse/bird which comes on elastic (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/cat_dangler/13641) or separately (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/mice/14455).

Still no name?

You must be delighted with them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2008, 17:20:18 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: glad the boys have settled down, has bengal got a name yet?

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2008, 15:12:58 PM »
Update time.

The Bengal has settled in nicely. He no longer hisses or growls when Reflex wrestles with him. Its all done very quietly now. I would say it took about 3-4 days.

Also, where initially, Reflex really hammered home the point that he is the more dominant, now he is a lot more relaxed and allows the Bengal to chase him and take the lead during their wrestling matches. However, from time to time, Reflex always like to show who is boss.

I might also add that the Bengal has picked up his speed. He isnt as slow anymore. Reflex tends to stand back and let the Bengal play with the toys. All Reflex wants to do now is wrestle with his new playmate - he shows very little interest in toys now.

And here are some piccies of the 2:

Here is one of them sleeping. Reflex still maintains his dominance in that he doesnt let the Bengal sleep in his bed:

And here is one of the Bengal on his own. He has very fine features, looking almost feminine:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
The video definitely shows play fighting. I think they are going to be great friends.

Yep, they have already calmed down a lot. In the first few hours, they couldnt get close to one another without fighting. Now they are a lot more relaxed in eachothers' company, especially Reflex. Reflex doesnt hiss or growl at all now, though the Bengal is very vocal and makes much noise. I think the noise being made by the Bengal (in the video) makes it appear to be worse than it really is. Now that I have watched them playing, Ive realised that Reflex doesnt actually try and hurt the Bengal. He just wrestles him to the ground, after which, he stands over him. The Bengal in retaliation, likes to bite Reflex's ears, but when I check for injuries there isnt a single scratch on Reflex's ears. The Bengal is very noisey and brings the house down when he is left alone in a room.

I hope you come up with a name for your Bengal kitten soon. Reflex is such a great name for the Mau. My mum names Mitzi after Mitzi Gaynor, the actress, so Flynn was called Flynn after Errol Flynn.

Yeah I'm narrowing it down now. I'd like to give him a name based on his personality. His pedigree name is MisterBengal and thats what I've been calling him.
I like Flynn. Flynn would be a cat that is very lean and thin and is can move very quickly, evading capture at every opportunity.

He is noisy (from the video). What about Growler?

Growler will be on my shortlist.
He also has big paws, so I'm thinking Bigfoot.  :)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
The video definitely shows play fighting. I think they are going to be great friends.

I feed my two kitten separately from the adult cats. They share a water bowl and a bowl of dried food but I have always given them a small bowl of wet food each twice a day. This does mean they can both access the food, but they do not stick to their own bowls. When they were younger, Mitzi (always much smaller) would always want to check what was in Flynn's bowl. She would push under his chest and stand up, lifting his head up so she could take his place. He would (philosophically) move onto the bowl she had abandoned. If he tried to get into the bowl she was using, she would growl at him.

I think that was because she had almost starved as a kitten and was very possessive about food. Now (at 6 months) they happily change places between the two small bowls and happily share their water bowl and their bowl of dried food. They have always shared a litter tray and have no issues about one of the older cats using it too. They do like it clean though, Mitzi will cross her legs if she thinks it is too smelly but a giant litter tray with 4-5 inches of World's Best cat litter scooped out once a day suits them fine.

I hope you come up with a name for your Bengal kitten soon. Reflex is such a great name for the Mau. My mum names Mitzi after Mitzi Gaynor, the actress, so Flynn was called Flynn after Errol Flynn.

He is noisy (from the video). What about Growler?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »
I would also agree with separate food bowls, to make sure they are both eating a decent amount, and one isn't being pushed away. I always feed separate bowls to monitor their intake.
Please spay your cat

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2008, 23:26:29 PM »
Approx 6 months he's a feral rescue but I have been putting it off for a bit and then he went and sprayed friday so was booked in pronto, my vet will only neuter at 6 months anyway but with Stigs unknown birthdate they said bring him in and they will examine him and decide then, but looking at him and the spraying inciident makes me think he's ready :)

Ouch. That is exactly what I was afraid of - spraying. My Bengal's father was spraying. I saw this first hand and it STANK!!! Also, although he was neutered, it took him a few weeks, till he stopped spraying, so it didnt stop immediately.

I always thought that spraying started at around 9 months +, so I'm surprised that he has started so early.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2008, 22:59:29 PM »
Approx 6 months he's a feral rescue but I have been putting it off for a bit and then he went and sprayed friday so was booked in pronto, my vet will only neuter at 6 months anyway but with Stigs unknown birthdate they said bring him in and they will examine him and decide then, but looking at him and the spraying inciident makes me think he's ready :)

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2008, 22:54:56 PM »
They look great and have assimilated much faster than my boys did when Stig came, who incidentally is at the vet for the chop and chip tomorrow :)

How old is Stig? I had both my cats neutered when they were 3 months, while still at the breeders'. I paid for it, but it gave me some piece of mind that if anything went wrong, it would happen before I picked them up and the breeders would be the best people to deal with any complications.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2008, 22:35:23 PM »
They look great and have assimilated much faster than my boys did when Stig came, who incidentally is at the vet for the chop and chip tomorrow :)

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2008, 21:35:40 PM »
...perhaps a hint that the bengal is not so 'bottom-of-the-pile' as you think! :evillaugh:

Aww. I wish that was so. But I feel the Bengal is hopelessly outgunned...for now.

Anyway, heres a nice one of them asleep, taken an hour ago:

Although the Bengal looks awkward, I assure you he is asleep. His body is so long. This certainly wouldnt have been possible 48hrs ago.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2008, 21:07:06 PM »
not so weird, and also perhaps a hint that the bengal is not so 'bottom-of-the-pile' as you think! :evillaugh:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2008, 20:46:15 PM »
If you had 2 toddlers eating from one plate they would feel competition to eat quick enough so that other doesnt get it all.

I see your point.

Though, with regard to eating. I always make sure there is food in the bowl and I donot limit the food intake at all. I'm of the belief that an animal, at this young age, should be given as much food as it wants. So, if Reflex eats all the food before the Bengal even gets a sniff, the bowl would get refilled anyway, so the problem of the weaker cat (or slower eater) getting starved wont happen.

Having a single big bowl, rather than 2 small bowls is just more convenient, as I mix 50/50 Whiskas Kitten/Natures Menu Kitten.

I am afraid mine have always shared. Twin bowls, set into a base, side by side, and they seem to cope just fine. If they appeared to be fighting over food, I would of course, feed separately, but it has never been an issue over many generations of cats ...

One thing Ive noticed is that Reflex harrasses the Bengal a lot. Even when Bengal wants to goto the toilet, Reflex is on Bengal's case. However, the one time where he leaves him completely alone is when he is eating. Even after Reflex has finished eating and is wandering around aimlessly in the kitchen and Bengal is still eating, Reflex wont even touch the Bengal - the most he will do is stare at him from a distance. Wierd.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2008, 20:41:13 PM »
I am afraid mine have always shared. Twin bowls, set into a base, side by side, and they seem to cope just fine. If they appeared to be fighting over food, I would of course, feed separately, but it has never been an issue over many generations of cats ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2008, 20:35:36 PM »
Iv always thought it and also read in behaviourial books to make sure there is one of everything for each cat. And for items such as litter trays 1 per cat + 1.
If you had 2 toddlers eating from one plate they would feel competition to eat quick enough so that other doesnt get it all.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2008, 18:43:52 PM »
I would feed them in seperate bowls too so as to not cause any food related issues.

Can you expand on that please.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2008, 16:49:54 PM »
I would feed them in seperate bowls too so as to not cause any food related issues. I like their ped names  :Luv:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 16:32:27 PM »
Looks like normal kitten play to me aswell, the boys (brothers who  :Luv: each other)  often have a rough and tumble which looks similar to your two playfighting except mine don't make any noise. 

The noise is actually being made by the Bengal. Reflex is silent when he is playfighting.

Incidentally rubber bands are very bad for them so I'd get rid of it quickly before one of them decides to eat it!

Noted.

Its a relief to know that all this is normal behaviour.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 16:24:11 PM »
That video made me smile  ;D  Very normal behaviour.  Love the sound effects  ;D

It's still very early days and I think you'll find that as your bengal settles in and grows a bit (in confidence as much as anything else) he wont' be such an easy target and Reflex is less likely to see him as a threat.

Link to CatChat