Author Topic: Smudge - Broken leg thanks to car  (Read 6667 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Smudge - Broken leg thanks to car
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 19:12:07 PM »
As others have said, broken legs heal and other peripheral damage (like nerves etc) it is only time that will let you know the effects. If it is any consolation when Bob broke the tiny anchor bone that holds one of the main tendons of the leg in place, I was told he would never walk again. He was eleven at the time. He died aged 19 and still jumping in the window that was four feet off the ground until he left me forever...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 17:51:51 PM »
I'm sorry to hear Smudge has been involved in a car accident - main thing is ok. Broken legs heal.
Before we adopted our Jameson, he was too in a car accident which resulted in him having his kneecap broken. His previous owner had free vet care (thru PDSA) since she is on benefits, but he did have to go back and forth for a good few months while healing. On the day he was found (he had been missing for 2 days) he was in a pretty bad state and had to stay in surgery overnight. Because of this (and because we live near a road) I decided it would be worth having him insured as if something would happen I would struggle to pay the vet fees.

I hope that Smudge heals well and quickly and I think choosing the number 2 option was a good choice too. Sending lots of healing thoughts.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 17:42:11 PM »
I hope hes home soon, are you going to visit?

Iv been trying to catch a stray who broke his front leg last summer, he disappeared over winter but has recently returned with nothing but a minor limp  :shocked: :Crazy:

Cats are amazingly robust  :hug:

Offline rollins

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 15:47:09 PM »
Smokey says hello too

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rollins

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 15:45:50 PM »
Thanks folks - I'm really missing the wee sod, and his sister is having a sleep now, but you can tell that she is wondering what's happened to him.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 15:37:28 PM »
No advice to offer but hope Smudge heals well

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 15:35:35 PM »
Hi Rollins, sorry to hear about poor Smudge and I hope he makes a full recovery  :hug:  Generally with a broken leg, they need to be cage rested for 6-8 weeks.  One of my ferals decided to break his leg about 3 years ago on Christmas day of all days  :shocked:  He was fine and there doesn't seem to be any apparent limp with him but the vet did say he will probably get some arthritus when he's older.  Most cats do heal well and don't have any obvious signs of an injury but some will develop a limp, I suppose it depends how bad the break is.  Give Smudge a cuddle from me and I'm sending get well soon vibes  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 15:36:24 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline rollins

• Adult Cat
Smudge - Broken leg thanks to car
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 15:00:21 PM »
Well, its been a hell of a few days guys.

Got home from work yesterday and the missus tells me that Smudge has had an accident.  It seems that the Vet reckons that he was hit by a car, and has a pretty bad break on the upper front left leg :(

I've not seen him since I left for work yesterday, and I'm pretty gutted.  Smokey his sister is missing him a lot and so is Karen.

Thankfully according to the Vet, he seems aware and bright, and the broken leg is the only issue.  Its a hell of a way for a cat to learn the roads are not safe, especially since we live a fair distance from any main roads - and he is only 8 months old as well  :censored:

Anyway, the vet thinks that the main nerve on the arm damaged, and our options were

1.  Amputate the leg at a cost of £300
2.  Pin/wire repir of the leg for around £600+
3.  Leave it and see if the leg heals itself.

We have had a good talk, me, the missus and the vet, and its going to be option 2 - the hell with the money.  I've just sold our Wii and my digital camera, and we will dip into the holiday savings.  Its just the usual luck, that we were talking about who to go for regarding pet insurance, and then this happens.

My question is to anyone who has had this sort of thing happen - how long does healing take, and what kind of mobility did your cat have afterwards.  any long term issues etc

Thanks for reading

Link to CatChat